none
MS Update for Ralink - WLAN - ASUS 802.11n Network Adapter reduces performance

Question

• Hi

Have any of you had this problem lately:

I'm running Win7 Home Premium on an ASUS N56V laptop and the ASUS USB-N13 802.11 b/g/n network addapter connecting to an ASUS RT-N56U Dual-band Wireless N Gigabit Router.

After installing the optional update for "Ralink - WLAN - ASUS 802.11n Network Adapter" presented to me on Microsoft Update 26/2 2013, my ASUS USB-N13 802.11  network adapter drop it's connection speed from 300 Mbps to 54 Mbps and no settings I have tried so far can make it go back to 300 Mbps...

Changing back to previous driver version 3.2.4.0 from 9/9 2011 did restore the original connection speed of 300 Mbps.

- Is this a known problem for others with the same configuration? If so - how did you solve the problem?

- Do I have to change any settings in the router - even update the firmware - (currently running "1.0.1.8f") to make it run at 300 with new driver?

- Or do I just lay low and keep everything as is, because the update isn't really vital for performance and/or security?

Thanx in advance for any advice given.

Regards

/essib

Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:44 PM

All replies

• Use original drivers from device vendor, not drivers from update.

Regards

Milos

Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Hi Milos

So the trick (to avoid problems...) is to never install a driver from Windows Update for an integrated or separate device, that is not made by Microsoft - such as audio, network/display adapters and USB controllers - even if the updated driver is said to be from the device vendor?

Ok - nothing but security updates from no on then...

Thanks

//essib

Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Well, that didn't help much.

I looked through all of the updates queued and didn't see anything about my USB WLAN driver; nor did I see anything eye-catching, just a number of rollups.

But after realizing that the corrupt images in my browsers (IE and Chrome), and chasing that symptom, I discovered someone else that had the same issue, and they had narrowed it down to a recent update. So I went into my Update History...

There it was! "Ralink - WLAN - 802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card" was in the update list.  Hmm... no right click option... oh, there at the top... "To remove an update, see Installed Updates." <Click.>

Um.... the update I am looking for was not listed in "Installed Updates," therefore there was no reversal process.  Sure, I can download the file (and hope it doesn't come down corrupt) from the Vendor and replace the file.  But how to prevent it from updating, if it shows up neither in the "Updates Ready to Install" list, nor in the "Installed Updates" list?

And I have to ask, why put driver updates into Windows Update, if we are not supposed to use them?

Saturday, March 09, 2013 4:09 AM
  • I just applied this update from MS Update as well (along with some
    other Asus driver and software updates) and lost all USB.  I'm not sure
    if it was this update, but I rolled back (restored) to a point before
    the update using System Restore (in the System Tools folder, sometimes
    within the Accessories folder, if in doubt the executable is
    %systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe).

You can't "uninstall" optional updates which are drivers, you have to restore the system to a point previous to the install.

Hope that helps.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 5:27 PM
  • actually, you should be able to go into device manager, select the adapter and
    roll back the driver using the properties tab etc. just like with Windows 7. You
    do NOT need to restore the system

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 17:27:11 +0000, Ronfrom wrote:

>
    >
    >I just applied this update from MS Update as well (along with some
    >other Asus driver and software updates) and lost all USB.  I'm not sure
    >if it was this update, but I rolled back (restored) to a point before
    >the update using System Restore (in the System Tools folder, sometimes
    >within the Accessories folder, if in doubt the executable is
    >%systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe).
    >
    >You can't "uninstall" optional updates which are drivers, you have to restore the system to a point previous to the install.
    >
    >Hope that helps.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Sunday, March 10, 2013 11:17 AM
  • Microsoft seriously failed with this update. It is marked as recommended so many systems got this one automatically. This driver completely disables 802.11n connectivity leaving you with prehistoric 802.11g. If anyone can contact MS and let them know about it, it would be nice. Usually they only do something when a lot of people start complaining.

To answer questions:

1. It's a bug. Just roll back driver via device manager or install one from vendor.

2. Nothing can be done on router side to make this driver work in 802.11n mode.

3. I don't think this update is really vital to anything.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Agree, but here is not just driver problem I think - in my case this update applied onto one PC was lead to speed fall to 54 Mbps instead of 300. But - if i connect dongle to second PC (without update) speed stay as 54Mbps.. Probably some changes occured with EEPROM.

Legat

Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:50 AM