none
Microsoft Sticky Notes Importing Legacy Sticky Notes RRS feed

• Question

• Good Everyone Group,

I built up a new computer today to the latest Windows 10 Anniversary build. I want to transfer my old Microsoft Sticky Notes from my old computer to my new one.

Previously all I needed to do was to copy the directory C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes StickyNotes.snt from the old computer to the new computer. I have tried this and this does not appear to work anymore.

Now there seems to be a new folder for sticky notes C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe and for the life of me I do not know how to import this file.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me in the right direction with this. Is there any way to import legacy sticky notes into the new Microsoft Sticky Notes. In addition, it seems like there is a limit on how many notes you can actually store. Is there any way to over come this. I have quite a few...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Saturday, August 6, 2016 10:56 AM

All replies

• Just wondering if anyone may be able to offer any advice on how I go about importing the legacy sticky notes into the new Microsoft Sticky Notes application? Cheers and thanks in advance...
    Sunday, August 7, 2016 9:48 AM
  • Hi Homith!

If you copy the old Sticky Notes.snt to:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbw\LocalState\Legacy\ThresholdNotes.snt

They should be upgraded when you reboot the new Sticky Notes app.

Hope this helps!

Donovan Lange
    Engineering Manager
    Sticky Notes

• Proposed as answer by Donovan Lange Monday, August 8, 2016 9:41 AM
    • Edited by Donovan Lange Monday, August 8, 2016 9:42 AM Tweak path syntax
    Monday, August 8, 2016 9:41 AM
  • Good Morning Donovan,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I do appreciate it. My wife has quite a large number of 'Sticky Notes'. With this new update it appears that there is a limit on how many Sticky Notes she can have. Is there any way to overcome this limit? In addition, what is the maximum number of Sticky Notes that the new version allows?

When I have imported the Sticky Notes as instructed I get the box that pops up indicating that We are upgrading your notes. We cannot display them all right now so please delete some and try again. Is there a solution (besides deleting them as I want to save the content) to this? In addition with so many notes I cannot add any.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any advice.

• Edited by Homith Friday, August 12, 2016 11:46 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 11:34 PM
  • Good Afternoon,

I just wanted to follow up on this as see if anyone knows what the limit of sticky notes one can have now (used to be limitless) and if this can be extended any way.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Monday, August 22, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Hi Donovan,

I tried the method you described but it does not seem to work. I noticed that my directory is slightly different:

MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe instead of

MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbw

when i copy my old win7 sticky notes .SNT file to C:\Users\Aziz\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Legacy  and rename it to ThresholdNotes.snt as you instructed, then i launch the new sticky notes app in win 10, but the notes do not import. Please help! thank you

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

This procedure used to work until a couple of months ago.

I now need to do this procedure again, with a .SNT fle from a 10586 build installation, however it isn't working anymore.

I launch the app and nothing is imported. I'm using Sticky Notes 1.6.2.0.

Can anybody help please?

EDIT: I tried the procedure once again (like the 10th time), and it migrated notes. I don't know what happened. 
    EDIT2: I have found the trick.

• Close Sticky Notes.
    • Go to PC Settings > System > Apps & Features > Sticky Notes > Advanced Options > Reset. All app data will be deleted.
    • Do not open Sticky Notes app now.
    • Follow the procedure described by Donovan
    • Start Sticky Notes.
    • All notes will now appear!!!

• Edited by olivercervera Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Langus Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:49 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:16 PM
  • Hello olivercervera,
    I followed the directions listed, (EDIT 2 & Donovan's) and when starting up stickynotes, only a new note appeared, nothing was imported.  

Please advise.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 1:49 AM
  • By default the Sticky notes file will be in .snt format so just rename the file to ThresholdNotes and kindly avoid adding .snt in the end which makes the system reads the file like ThresholdNotes.snt.snt

Wrong Method: ThresholdNotes.snt

Correct Method: ThresholdNotes

Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:48 PM
  • By default the Sticky notes file will be in .snt format so just rename the file to ThresholdNotes and kindly avoid adding .snt in the end which makes the system reads the file like ThresholdNotes.snt.snt

Wrong Method: ThresholdNotes.snt

Correct Method: ThresholdNotes

Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:50 PM
  • This is beyond irritating.  I converted to 10 and imported old notes in.  Windows 10 crashed after 6 months but I thought I was okay because I had a backup...but nooooo. I cannot find the file that Won 10 sticky notes made of my old sticky notes.
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Hi, it worked for me. Thanks oliver

cheers

Friday, September 29, 2017 10:22 AM
  • to fix Issue with sticky notes in Windows 10 Version.1709

1. Close Sticky Notes.
    2. Go to PC Settings > System > Apps & Features > Sticky Notes > Advanced Options > Reset. All app data will be deleted.
    3. Do not open Sticky Notes app now.
    4. Navigate to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbw\LocalState
    5. Create Folder within \LocalState called "Legacy"
    6. Copy the Notes.snt to the Legacy folder and rename it "ThresholdNotes.snt"
    7. Start Sticky Notes.
    8. All notes will now appear!!!

This is all based on the info i found in this thread, tried this on my own machine and a users machine worked 1st time.

Good luck people

• Proposed as answer by ikenna83 Monday, December 4, 2017 12:13 PM
    Friday, November 24, 2017 4:47 PM
  • None of these worked, after 26 years in business am sooo tired to Microsoft bs nothing ever works smooth

Monday, November 27, 2017 3:23 PM
  • This steps works for tansferring StickyNotes.snt from Win7 to Win10.
    Monday, December 4, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Awesome. Thank you! I was able to retrieve my old notes from Windows.old (windows 7) and restore my notes to my new windows 10 installation using this method. 
    Friday, December 8, 2017 2:30 PM
  • it worked for me, thank you very much for your help
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:39 AM
  • It Works like a charm!!!

You saved my time and thanks for that

Thursday, December 28, 2017 8:56 AM
  • You, sir, are a god among men.  This worked for me.  It might be best if the OP were to add the fact that you need to reset the StickyNotes app in order to make sure this works.
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 6:56 AM
  • This fix worked for me.  Tried several other ways, but none of them worked.  Thanks Umair Ahmed - RN!
    Friday, January 5, 2018 3:33 PM
  • I tested many methods and I can also confirm that this method works by @Umair Ahmed.

I'd like to add a few more points ->

to fix Issue with sticky notes in Windows 10 Version.1709

1. Close Sticky Notes. (You need to go to task manager, look for any Sticky notes processes and close them. There should be 2x of these processes grouped as 1.)
    2. Go to PC Settings > System > Apps & Features > Sticky Notes > Advanced Options > Reset. All app data will be deleted.
    3. Do not open Sticky Notes app now. (VERY IMPORTANT)
    4. Navigate to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbw\LocalState
    6. Copy the Notes.snt to the Legacy folder and rename it "ThresholdNotes.snt" (TAKE NOTE, YOU NEED THE FILE NAMED in the right format (upper-case and lower-case, with the extension. Some posts above recommended without using .snt, that didn't work).
    7. Start Sticky Notes.
    8. All notes will now appear!!! (Together with 1x blank one)

that's it!

• Proposed as answer by ABHIJEETUK Thursday, July 26, 2018 3:02 PM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 5:47 AM
  • This worked for me. Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 1:04 PM
  • For the life of me, I've followed directions to a tee for the last two hours (with a short stress break), and all I get when restarting Sticky Notes is a single blank blue note.  My original *.snt file is from a Windows 10 computer whereas some have stated theirs are from Win7, but outside of that, I have no idea.

Luckily I don't have a lot of notes, so I'm off to 'cut-and-paste' them into the new system and get on with life. Just wanted to let you know that the above may still not be the final word.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:15 PM
  • This is the solution. It worked for me.

Thank you. 

Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:46 PM
  • Hello

Not working for me. Win10 1709.

I noticed that the path is different for me

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbw\

On my machine that is:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

MZ

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:14 PM
  • Finally found the solution here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73044-backup-restore-sticky-notes-windows-10-a.html

Basically, you should be copy and pasting the plum.sqlite file and any other session and storage files from your old %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState to your new one.

• Proposed as answer by Michal Zyzak Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:05 PM
    Saturday, January 27, 2018 1:25 AM
  • worked like a charm!!! thanks for sharing.
    Friday, February 9, 2018 1:26 PM
  • Thanks A Lot It Worked.
    Friday, February 16, 2018 12:16 PM
  • AWESOME! Worked like a charm!
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:13 PM
  • I had to end StickyNotes process in Task Manager and then start it again from Programs before it would import.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:21 PM
  • truly wonderful... works like a charm.. the "RESET" step did it..
    Monday, February 26, 2018 10:32 AM
  • Thank you this really helped!! I followed the exact same step!!
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:19 PM
  • Hi Michal,

I'm migrating sticky notes from my old office PC  (win 7 enterprise) to a newer one (win 10 enterprise)

I did try the steps in the link you referred to. For me, it doesn't work. After I followed all steps and open Sticky notes on Win 10 I see a new sticky note (blank one). that's it.

my windows 7 version is 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack1) running on DELL Latitude E6430

my windows 10 version is 1703 (OS Build 15063.966) running on DELL  Latitude 5480

Any suggestions? thanks for your guidance 

• Edited by SidGopal Friday, March 23, 2018 10:41 AM Add more info
    Friday, March 23, 2018 10:36 AM
  • THIS ONE FINALLY WORKED FOR ME!! Creating the file "Legacy" was key. THANKS!
    Sunday, March 25, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Great! this new procedure (EDIT2 in  olivercervera's answer) worked for me! thanks!

• Edited by msvishwa Tuesday, March 27, 2018 1:51 PM added specific reference
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 1:49 PM
  • This worked for me. 

1.  Reset the Stickynote APP

2.  Create the Legacy Folder

3.  Copy the Windows 7 *.snt file to the Legacy Folder

4.  Rename the file to ThresholdNotes.snt

5.  Open Sticky Notes

Thank you for your help!

Friday, April 20, 2018 6:28 PM
  • Thank you! Worked perfectively

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:30 PM
  • NAILED IT! Thank you Donovan and Oilvercervera! Absolute LIFESAVERS!

• Edited by SwampFox75 Thursday, April 26, 2018 2:36 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 2:35 AM
  • Donovan,

Not sure if you're still following this thread.  I'm trying to stage that ThresholdNotes.snt file with USMT.  It does migrate properly, but when the user launches Sticky Notes for the first time it deletes the Legacy folder and the ThresholdNotes.snt in the process (and the import does not happen).  If I then close Sticky Notes and re-stage the file for import it works on the next launch.  That behavior is a real problem for migrating data with USMT since the migration process is done before the user logs in.  I don't believe it used to work that way.

Any ideas?

Friday, May 11, 2018 7:02 PM
  • Amazing, point by point. Thank you very much for spending your time and sharing precise solution, you saved me from a big trouble of losing many minor details I was storing on sticky-notes. 
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:08 AM
  • to fix Issue with sticky notes in Windows 10 Version.1709

1. Close Sticky Notes.
    3. Do not open Sticky Notes app now.
    6. Copy the Notes.snt to the Legacy folder and rename it "ThresholdNotes.snt"
    7. Start Sticky Notes.
    8. All notes will now appear!!!

This is all based on the info i found in this thread, tried this on my own machine and a users machine worked 1st time.

Good luck people

Worked flawlessly.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:09 AM
  • Excellent.. your solution works fine to me

Gracias.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:37 PM
  • Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to downgrade Sticky Notes from windows 10 to windows 8.1?

Thanks in advance,

Monday, May 28, 2018 10:19 AM
  • It took some time to get to the correct file but it worked inmediately.  Thanks!
    Friday, June 29, 2018 2:37 PM
  • FINALLY! Copying the plum.sqlite and other files did the trick! THANK YOU!
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Awesome.. It worked..

Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:20 AM
  • Thanks!
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:39 PM
  • doesnt work  

Friday, September 7, 2018 7:07 PM
  • doesn't work at all
    Friday, September 7, 2018 7:10 PM
  • This worked for me, turns out I can't read! I was renaming the ThreshholdNotes instead of Thresholdnotes (extra H!)
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8:39 AM
  • This worked for me, turns out I can't read! I was renaming the ThreshholdNotes instead of Thresholdnotes (extra H!)
    Thanks, this was my issue as well.
    Monday, September 24, 2018 3:58 PM
  • Hi All,

I have a new Dell running Windows 10 Pro.  It came from the factory with version 1803.  I cannot import the stickynotes.snt file from a windows 7 machine.  I have tried every variation in this article but when I open the app, I get only one new note.

I am using what I think are all the refined steps including RESET the app and copy the stickynotes.snt to a new  Legacy folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbw\LocalState.  In my case the app name ends in bbwe, not bbw.  I think that may be a change from ver 1709 to 1803 but am not sure.  I renamed the stickynotes.snt to ThresholdNotes.snt   (yes, spelled correctly).  When I open the app, I get only one new note.  I've tried the process multiple times, including reboot prior to opening the sticky notes app.

I even suspected the .snt file as being bad so I copied it to another Win 7 machine and all the notes opened normally, proving it is intact.

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?  I am thinking of deleting the app and reloading it from the Microsoft store but haven't done this yet.

Thanks,

Sunday, October 7, 2018 10:57 PM
  • Thanks, but that is the process that does NOT work.  Just to be clear:

-I reset the app

-I created the Legacy folder in LocalState per the stated steps

-I copied the known-good Stickynotes.snt file into the new Legacy folder

-I renamed that file to ThresholdNotes.snt  (spelled exactly as shown)

-When opening the app, I get ONLY 1 new note.  The old notes do not appear.

Thanks,

Monday, October 8, 2018 6:02 PM
  • I have done as you requested.

Thanks,

Monday, October 8, 2018 9:44 PM
  • Sorry, I did paste the link but forgot to click the "insert hyperlink" button so it showed as text.  It is fixed now.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 1:14 AM
  • No joke---Sorry I misunderstood what you asked for.  I had pasted a link to THIS thread in the new one.

So, let me try again:

This process does not work for me so I have created a new thread for my issue.  Here is a link to it:

Import Sticky Notes Win 7 to Win 10--problem

Thanks,

• Edited by Ira Shapiro Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:36 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:32 AM
  • Thanks for this addition, it now also worked for me...

it is idd VERY important to not only close sticky notes in step 1, but also kill the Sticky notes processes in your task manager!!

Monday, October 15, 2018 4:23 PM
  • Glad this worked for you.  I, on the other hand, am still struggling!!
    Monday, October 15, 2018 6:22 PM
  • This finally worked for me. Thank You.
    Friday, May 24, 2019 2:23 PM