none
USB Hard Drive will not connect - Device Manager constant appearing / disappearing

Question

• USB Hard Drive when I connect the drive I get a constant bell sound and watching Device Manager shows a yellow ! with "USB Device" constantly appearing / disappearing... it will do this forever. All Flash drives work fine (I have several).

No issues until after I installed SP3.

The drive works fine on my laptop with SP3 but it is my backup drive for my desktop!

After SP3 install updated all the drivers for the PC and it made no difference, same problem.

Formatted the drive using my laptop and tried it, same problem.

Anyone?

Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:45 AM

All replies

• I find it hard to believe that no one else has this problem?

It would be nice if MS actually helped on their own forums!

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:23 PM
  • I have this same issue.  I was setting up a replacement computer, and my exteral USB hardrive worked on the exact same system (xp pro, SP2) before all the automatic updates downloades - then it refused to work on that system anymore.  'remove hardware safly' detects a USB device, but in no other place does the external drive show up - not in device manager nor in drive management.  So far no one has a solution for me, and I now have a nice new paperweight!

Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:13 PM
  •  

It looks like SP3 is a complete POS... so many people having so many different problems.

Would be nice if a service pack actually FIXED more then it BROKE!

Monday, June 30, 2008 4:54 AM
  •  Livin wrote:

USB Hard Drive when I connect the drive I get a constant bell sound and watching Device Manager shows a yellow ! with "USB Device" constantly appearing / disappearing... it will do this forever. All Flash drives work fine (I have several).

No issues until after I installed SP3.

The drive works fine on my laptop with SP3 but it is my backup drive for my desktop!

After SP3 install updated all the drivers for the PC and it made no difference, same problem.

Formatted the drive using my laptop and tried it, same problem.

Anyone?

Can you share a screenshot? What make is the USB device? What is the config of your machine?

Thanks
    J
    Monday, June 30, 2008 12:00 PM
  • USB drive is Western Digital WD3200XMS-00 (3200BEV 2.5" drive)

... works perfectly on all other Windows machines, and did on my desktop before I installed SP3 (it had SP2 & hotfixes)

... all flash USB and SD cards work fine. I have 5 different makes/models/sizes and they all work

... I have tried different USB ports on the mobo, and even using a hub, same problem each time.

Desktop hardware... Gigabyte EP35-DS3R motherboard, 4GB RAM, Intel C2D E6750

Nothing to give a screenshot of... most of the time it does not even show a device in Device Mgr. It just gives a device connection "ring" sound over and over... it is like torture.

At random times it will actually connect and show in Device Mgr BUT when I go to access the drive it tells me that it needs to be formatted.

Monday, June 30, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Livin,

Try this.  Without the WD unit connected:

- open a Command Prompt window.

- type the following two commands, one at a time, absolutely precisely verbatim:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

devmgmt.msc

- In the version of Device Manager that opens in response, pull down the "View" menu and select "Show hidden devices".

- Click "+" beside "Disk drives" to expand that branch.

- For all entries (which will be greyed out as non-present) named "WD 3200BEV External USB Device", right-click them and select "Uninstall".

- Click "+" beside "Universal Serial Bus controllers" to expand that branch.

- For all entries labelled "USB Composite Device", right-click and select "Properties", then tab "Details", and check the "Device Instance Id".  If the Device Instance Id begins "USB\VID_1058&PID_0705\", then uninstall this USB Composite Device.

- For all entries labelled "USB Mass Storage Device", right-click and select "Properties", then tab "Details", and check the "Device Instance Id".  If the Device Instance Id begins "USB\VID_1058&PID_0705\", then uninstall this USB Mass Storage Device.

If you do not see these greyed-out non-present devices, then you did not type the "set" command above correctly.

Now connect the WD unit.  It will now be as if this device has never before been connected to this PC, and the PC should go through the "Found New Hardware" process, and find the correct drivers for the WD device.

Good luck!

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:45 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem, except my external HDD is a Seagate 500GB with the Kaser StorageVault external enclosure.  Kaser only supplies Win98 drivers and states WinXP should work.  Well it doesn't work on any of the computers I've tried.

1) Gateway e-4400
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    512MB RAM
    BIOS updated to latest from Gateway
    At first before the BIOS was flashed I received the Code 10 error.  Flashed BIOS, and the system will recognize the USB Mass Storage, and I check the drivers - No drivers are installed for this device.  Gave up on this computer.

2) Dell Latitude D800
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    2GB RAM
    Latest BIOS
    The system will recognize the USB Mass Storage - No drivers are installed for this device.

I tried a different generic ATA-USB adapter and it worked for some odd reason, no device driver needed and it was properly displayed under Disk Drives in Device Manager!  Formatted the Seagate 500GB HDD to NTFS.  Placed the HDD in the Kaser enclosure and it's back to USB Mass Storage - No drivers for this device.  I've read through researching that some enclosures do not have enough amperage, but the Kaser enclosure advertises 500GB hard drive.

3) Dell OptiPlex GX270
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    1.5GB RAM
    Latest BIOS
    This system recognized there was a USB device, but Device Manager shows only Unknown Device.

I give up!
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 12:45 AM
  •  rdhw wrote:

Livin,

Try this.  Without the WD unit connected:

- open a Command Prompt window.

- type the following two commands, one at a time, absolutely precisely verbatim:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

devmgmt.msc

- In the version of Device Manager that opens in response, pull down the "View" menu and select "Show hidden devices".

- Click "+" beside "Disk drives" to expand that branch.

- For all entries (which will be greyed out as non-present) named "WD 3200BEV External USB Device", right-click them and select "Uninstall".

- Click "+" beside "Universal Serial Bus controllers" to expand that branch.

- For all entries labelled "USB Composite Device", right-click and select "Properties", then tab "Details", and check the "Device Instance Id".  If the Device Instance Id begins "USB\VID_1058&PID_0705\", then uninstall this USB Composite Device.

- For all entries labelled "USB Mass Storage Device", right-click and select "Properties", then tab "Details", and check the "Device Instance Id".  If the Device Instance Id begins "USB\VID_1058&PID_0705\", then uninstall this USB Mass Storage Device.

If you do not see these greyed-out non-present devices, then you did not type the "set" command above correctly.

Now connect the WD unit.  It will now be as if this device has never before been connected to this PC, and the PC should go through the "Found New Hardware" process, and find the correct drivers for the WD device.

Good luck!

Robin,

I did this, (though it was not addressed to me specifically) and when I reattached the hard-drive, it went through it's "found new hardware" rigamaroll, but it still does not show up anywhere excepted in 'safely remove hardware.  Not in 'my computer', not in 'device manager' and not in 'disk management' - nowhere.  Any other ideas?
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 3:54 AM
  • I tried this... deleted all hidden items and rebooted.

Same problem.

Friday, July 04, 2008 12:13 AM
  • would be nice if MS would help fix this problem?!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:17 PM
  •  

help would be appreciated... MS, do you care... there are several people (at least) with this problem.
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 3:31 AM
  • Livin, have you actually contacted Microsoft Support on this issue?  SP3-related support is free of charge.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 11:42 AM
  • did not know that... I'll call them Monday.

thx

Sunday, July 13, 2008 2:36 AM
  • these steps worked for me. thanks a lot, i owe you a beer

make sure everyone has the latest usb driver updates.

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Now I'm getting MORE frustrated. I have the same problem: portable USB HDD used to work fine; then problems with  Windows, and I ran ASR from .bkf on the portable USB HDD. Since the ASR restore, the two portable USB HDDs I've used do NOT show up in any Explorer window or any directory; however, they show up just fine in the Device Manager and even the "safely remove hardware" lists.

So I tried to follow your instructions, typed in verbatim (and then even copied and pasted)
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 into the RUN, but I get the following error message:  "Windows cannot find 'set'"

NOW what problem do I have because I ran SP3???
    Monday, August 18, 2008 7:06 PM
  •  Anonymous585150 wrote:
    So I tried to follow your instructions, typed in verbatim (and then even copied and pasted) set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 into the RUN, but I get the following error message:  "Windows cannot find 'set'"

This command must not be given in the RUN box.  It has to be given in a Command Prompt window.  Open a Command Prompt window first, then the "set" command.

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:35 PM
  • there are files that came with your western digital external hard drive.  i have a folder on mine called WD files.  hopefully, you made a copy of those files and put them on your computers C drive. 

if you didnt, just plug the WD external drive into any computer that works/accepts it. 

once in, you will see those files.  put them on a little flash drive, and transfer them to the misbehaving computer's C drive wherever you want them. 

open the folder on the misbehaving computer, and run the "autorun" batch file from the autorun folder, and the setup file from the WD windows tools folder. 

shut down and restart the misbehaving computer.  once up, plug in your WD drive, and it should work again.

cheers

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Hi, My name is Rafael and I am currently deployed to Iraq. My extenal hard drive contains alot of info I don't want to lose and I have the same situation only I have the WD 1600BB. When I unplugged it and tried the command prompts nothing showed up under either. But it does show up under safely remove hardware. I ran the WD Diagnostics and it says that its spin up time failed with a value of 191 & multi zone error rate failed with a value of 67. All other aspects are good. But I also ran an extended test and it detected too many bad sectors and did not finish. Is there anything I can do without reformatting the hard drive?

Rafael Paredes

Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:14 AM
  •  Overview
    -------------------------
    I bought a Western Digital External USB Hard Drive and was able to use it on my desktop without any issue.  I then attempted to use it on my laptop and was presented with the "Found New Hardware Wizard."  After reading hundreds of posts with a few claiming to have a solution, I found no solutions which would work, short of reinstalling Windows.

It was very frustrating reading many of the posts as most of the responses were asking for further information about the hardware when the poster knew it was a software issue or telling the poster how to initialize the drive. If the respondent had read the poster's question they would not have posted an unrelated answer as the drive needs to be recognized by device manager before it can be used in disk manager.

I am posting what I did to get my USB HDD to work however it is not a solution to the underlying problem.  If anyone knows how to fix the underlying problem please post a reply here.  In the meantime I hope this helps other who have been searching for a fix for connecting a USB device which uses Windows default drivers but Windows prompts the user with the "New Hardware Found Wizard."

Troubleshooting Steps
    - Rule out the hardware
     + Checked that the HDD worked on another PC
     + Used VMWare to ensure that it worked on the Laptop's hardware
    - Used Goggle to search on the issue & checked a few things which made sense but were correct in my case
     + Checked that the Cryptographic Services was running
     + Checked the registry entry for the path of drivers (I do not recall the registry path but the value was %SystemRoot%\Inf;...)
     + Other things such as the location of files and others that I do not recall

Workaround
    I found one post at http://www.ureader.com/message/1083780.aspx, which led me to try copying the registry entry from a working machine to the laptop. When I copied the registry entry from the machine which worked to the one which did not, the HDD worked.  As I said earlier this really does not fix the problem but did get the HDD working.

Steps
    - Using Device Manager I looked for the device under "Other Devices".  Right clicked on the Unknown device and selected properties.  In the properties dialog, viewed the "Details" tab and noted the "Device Instance Id". In my case, the "Device Instance Id" was "USB\Vid_1058&Pid_0705&MI_00\6&344189D4&0&0000" for a Western Digital Elite 500GB USB Hard Drive.
    - On the working machine, I opened regedit and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_1058&Pid_0705 and exported the registry
    - Copied the exported registry entry to the laptop and attempted to import it into the registry but ran into some permission issues and was unable to update the registry
    - Opened regedt32 on the laptop and gave Everyone full access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_1058&Pid_0705 and imported the registry file, which worked fine this time
    - Removed the full control access for the Everyone group
    - Connected the HDD and it worked as expected

Summary
    I was very frustrated at finding no solutions to fixing the issue of Windows not using the default drivers for hardware such as USB Hard Disk Drives (HDD), USB Hubs, USB Keyboards, etc. I decided to write this post to help others who may be very frustrated as well and ask if anyone knows what the underlying problem is and has a solution please follow up with a solution.

Thank You
    Rich

• Proposed as answer by clifhanger_uk Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:58 PM
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 7:24 AM
  • I had the same problem with my WD3200BEV while it was connected to a USB hub.  Once I connected it directly to my PC, the problem went away
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:38 AM
  • Unfortunately that did not work for me.  I was not going through a hub.  I actually decided to try going through a hub but the hub was not recognized either and Windows was looking for a driver.
    I needed to wipe the machine and perform a clean install of Windows. it was peculiar that the virtual machine on the machine was able to recognize the devices correctly but the host would not.  Hopefully Windows 7 will be much better and we won't have these silly annoying issues.  (I bet we will have more different issues though.  That's life.)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:30 AM
  • I just resolved a problem with a WD3200BEV by removing the USB extender cable to my desktop and plugging directly into the port.
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:09 PM
  • I was having problems just now, hooking up my external hardrive to my wifes computer and it would not work, and she has vista. i was remembering that i have tried this before on my buddies computer and it would not work either and i finally got it to work. i dont know about the sp3 and the sp2 much, but ive had to deal with it before with my itunes and i agree that its a POS. but i finally remembered and i grabbed the small baby usb cable that came with the external hardrive and it worked. haha. i dont know why it doesnt like the other one, its the same just longer. so it might not fix your problems but if you hook up your WD my passport (wd3200xms-00) and the light is flashing blue at you and nothing pops up, hook it up with your cable it came with and it will work, if not, good luck
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:54 PM
  • I you are still having problem with not seeing the drive on My Computer but it shows up on Device Manager than maybe you can check out my solutions.  If you don't have anything important on the drive than you can reformat it by follow the link below.  It worked for me.  After I reformat it than it shows up fine on any PC/Laptop I plug it to.  Good luck, I hope this works for you.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=207&p_created=1008908212
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Thanks for this post, like yourself I have spent countless hours trying to fix my issues with my WD USB MyBook disk not being recognised by windows. Your workaround worked a treat. Not only did it fix my disk not being recognised but my Mobile Phone too! Bonus!
    Thanks again.
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:36 PM
  • i had the same problem and this worked for me.

right click computer
    select properties
    look at the right side and select device manager
    click yes if asked
    look at usb devices
    it should appear in here as a usb mass storage device
    and they are standard windows drives
    just click update drivers and allow system search
    now if this dosent work uninstall it then just plug it back in after you have
    uninstalled it then it should re install and should work again
    Friday, January 08, 2010 9:33 AM
  • I too have the same problem and when I tried the proposed solution I came up empty.  Windows would not even recognize the set devmgr_etc.etc. option.  I used the devmgmt.msc option and followed the suggested course with no positive results. 

This is frustrating, I plug the external drive (Wd Elements) into my laptop using Vista and bingo, it is immediately recognized and works.  However, plug it into my desktop using Windows XP with Svpack 3 and I get nothing but the Found New Hardware option, looping.  When I go to Device Manager I see only two yellow querry marks but nothing indicating that the device  is recognized.

There must be something good about Windows but I am hard pressed to figure out what that is.  I now have a 500G external hard drive which was specifically purchased for use with my desktop which I can only now use as a paper weight.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Good advice.  I too was using an extender cable but after reading your post I removed it and resorted to using the short cable that came with the unit and BINGO it immediately worked.

Thanks a million.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:13 PM
  • Forgot to mention that with the use of the short cable I had to plug the unit directly into the computer rather than thru a hub.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:16 PM
  • it worked for me.. thank you so much...!!!:)
    Friday, January 22, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Great!
    I have been struggling with the fact that my system didn't want to recognize my USB external drives anymore. Was it a driver update? a micrososft update? who knows. I did all I could find on the net: delete usb root hubs, devices, registry settings, reconnected the drives on different ports etc. etc. The system just didn't want to install the drivers anymore. And then came RICHTEEL! This solution works like a charm!!! Just do as (s)he tells you to and the system has my drives back! I know it is a workaround and I would appreciate Microsoft to dive into this because it is a very, very frustrating situation. Thank you very much! Regards, Jan
    • Proposed as answer by Hitchhiker_nl Monday, March 08, 2010 7:35 PM
    Monday, March 08, 2010 7:35 PM
  • This is the first time I've heard of this problem associated with a service pack install, but nothing surprises me anymore. Usually, this would be because the USB device is plugged in and then removed-abruptly-without using the safely remove hardware tab on the taskbar, leaving windows not actually knowing what device is or should be there ! It is not easy for the system to change drivers for ports on the fly, and it sounds like that is what is going on. There is a slight, subtle difference for the "mass storage drivers" associated with your flash drives and the ones used by a large, ata-based hard drive...You may need to visit the maker of the hard drives website to download their interpretive driver for your windows version.

"http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/default.aspx ". This is MICROSOFT'S new, FREE, fully automated, anonymous support portal, which can help users resolve windows and other product issues with a few mouse clicks. BOOKMARK THIS SITE, EVERYBODY !!!
    Monday, November 29, 2010 9:21 AM
  • NOne of this worked for me, so i did another search "i installed xp sp3 now cannot see external hdd" and went to this site: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/find-your-missing-usb-drive-on-windows-xp/... simply fixed...
    Monday, February 21, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Here`s a clue about external hard drives and other devices connected through usb ports etc....

Upgrade your motherboard drivers! If you have XP, then more than likely your motherboard drivers are out of date! Why, your computer is behind on the technology of todays motherboards.

Either go to the computer manufacturers site and look for the update, or find the make of the motherboard and go to thier website and upgrade it.

I had multiple problems in device manager, all were solved with the motherboard update/upgrade.

Mine was NVIDIA, note about nvidia website, just click on country, download drivers then click on the graphics drivers, or motherboard drivers. After upgrading to the newest version, never revert to recomended.

Monday, February 21, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Yup.. the short cable did the magic.. Thanks for this wonderful advice...

Thanks a million.

Saturday, July 09, 2011 4:25 PM