none
Windows 10 build 16299.rs3_release.170928-1534 Won't Load - hp Envy 23-o014 Intel i5 4570T RRS feed

• Question

• Have done quite a bit of research and am very confident that the issue with this machine was activated thru a (failed) recent Windows Update.  I became aware of the failure by the Owner of the machine on Saturday Feb 3 - which was described as a hard drive failure, machine wouldn't finish booting.  Customer mentioned that they'd just finished a Windows Update.  Initially diagnosed as an HDD gone bad but scans revealed no significant issues with HDD.  Further investigation revealed that OS loads (partially) to the desktop but doesn't finish.  Further search of this symptom revealed the known issues with this Windows Update.  Other evidence is that the WinRE partition is empty (not bad, just erased) and there is no Restore Point to return to.  I'm not able to access Update History to see which update was last attempted and manually installed KB4073290 but did not resolve issue.

I've attempted several solutions:

- Restore, the only available RP errors out;
    - clear Windows Update cache/temp folder;
    - KB4056892 would not install (after above KB4073290), message stated not for my machine;
    - unable to install/run the WU Troubleshooter, errors & stops;

• Edited by Mogo34 Monday, February 12, 2018 11:30 PM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 3:13 AM

All replies

• About System startup failure, general method is startup repair. Refer to this Microsoft article to rebuild BCD and repair system files from WinRE.

How to use Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to troubleshoot common startup issues

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026030/how-to-use-windows-recovery-environment-winre-to-troubleshoot-common-s

If still no help, you need to reset PC or contact HP support.

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c03513214

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 2:26 AM
  • Had already tried all of that and makes absolutely no sense to throw away an install (by Resetting it) when 75% of it is functioning just fine and given the number of application installs that would need to be redone.

I've gone thru the steps of 'Upgrading to Windows 10' and that has gotten the machine up & running; I'm now working thru the remaining issues but so far so good.  I'll post an update

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:51 PM
  • Ok, I am looking forward to your update 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 5, 2018 9:26 AM
  •  not able to access Update History to see which update was last attempted

What does ReportingEvents.log show?  You could also try PowerShell  Get-HotFix  or  wmic  QFE

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:34 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue with a HP Pavilion from my cousin. 

Which steps of Upgrading to Windows 10 did you go through? And did it worked for you also after a next Windows Update?

I am short before to disassemble the HDD, get for the data and reinstall the whole Windows. But I don't want the problems again after the next Windows Update.

Is there any known issue placed at Microsoft or HP?

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:24 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue 

Why are you "unable to run the WU troubleshooter"?  Note that you don't need to "install" it.  Both WU and BITS are already available in the Control Panel Troubleshooting View All list.  Strangely we can find BITS as BITS but WU can only be found as Windows Update.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:38 PM
  • Because when the Windows is booted and I am on the Desktop nothing reacts. Task Manager doesnt open. Win+R shows no reaction and no other program or windows application like the control panel or windows explorer can be executed.

Now I fixed it. I reinstalled the windows in the additional options during boot time. There I selected Reset with new-installation but without deleting data.

Now I was able to reinstall the windows and also the updates got installed successfully. Only the programs must be new installed. But this worked.

Thanks!

Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:01 PM