Default Printer Frustration RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that this is a widespread problem with Windows 10. We have several users affected by this bug. Basically, no matter what they do their default printer gets reset. I have tried disabling/enabling the setting "Let Windows manage my default printer" but it doesn't seem to help. Is there any solution to this issue? Is Microsoft aware of this bug? 
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:09 PM

All replies

• Do other users connect to the printers of these machines via printer shares? That appears to change default printers for users (even with Let Windows Manage Default Printers off). From the related threads to your post;

Default Printer keeps changing

The turn off manage settings, HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LegacyDefaultPrinterMode needed to be set for connecting users (on the local Pc) as well on one post I remember.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, we can audit this registry key to see who change the default printer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Device

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/audit-registry?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Then find the details log under Event viewer / Security logs

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 7:00 AM
  • @philjfry

Thanks for reporting this problem.  I'm working with the Windows Engineering team to investigate this issue.  So far, in reviewing our telemetry we've identified several 3rd Party software packages that 'could' change this setting.  One executable in particular stands out in the data - 'creator-ws.exe' which is part of the 'PDF Architect' software package.  Do you have this software installed on the system(s) that have this issue?   

And one other question that came up - we've seen problems with the default printer icon overlay showing up even though the printer wasn’t actually set as the default printer. Can you check to make sure that it is actually set as the default printer?  Otherwise we might have another issue entirely.

Thanks.

Paul

• Edited by Paul Aaron Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:17 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:07 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. We don't use that software but we do use SnagIt 11.x on every machine. It seems for most the printer gets changed to that device. Also, the printers we push to users machines are network printers. I don't think its an overlay issue. I had one user discover this problem because they were printing documents and didn't understand why they weren't printing. Then, they realized their default printer was changed to the Snagit device. 
    Friday, August 12, 2016 1:03 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for coming in to confirm this issue.

I will also wait for your update on this issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 12, 2016 2:13 AM
  • i have upgraded 20 machines to windows 10 1607 and all the network printers have been reset to what ever the hell windows wants, on the server all the preferences are set to tray 2, single sided once the upgrade has completed then the printers on the machines are set to tray automatic and double sided.

it doesn't matter what printer either we have 6 xeror Workcenter MFP's and some hp laserjets and it happens to all of them

i have done a fresh install of windows 10 1607 and on connecting to a network printer the same thing happens.

i have now removed windows 10 1607 and gone back to  1511, the printers have gone back to there preferences on the server.

nicholas hay

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

That could be the potential issue, I have feedback this issue in our Platform. I recommend you help to also submit this issue onto Feedback Hub.

Thanks for your efforts on this issue.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:57 AM
  • There is something seriously wrong with the printer handling in Windows 10 1607.

I use USMT to transfer data and settings from our Windows 7 users to their new Windows 10 device.

When I perform a loadstate on a Windows 10 1607 device, only 1 of the 7 printers is migrated.

When I perform the same loadstate on a Windows 10 1511 machine, all printers are migrated.

This is very frustrating because now we need to add the printers manually for 700+ devices.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:56 AM
  • To correct this issue, you will need to install the Windows 10 1607 version core drivers onto your print server as outlined in the KB below

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/3201130

Printing preferences from the print server don't synchronize in Windows 10 version 1607

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

• Proposed as answer by Alan Morris Saturday, October 29, 2016 11:45 PM
    Saturday, October 29, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Sorry to resurect an old thread, but has anyone seen this issue with the Fall Creators Update (1709)? We've had many machines have exactly the same issue.
    Friday, November 10, 2017 5:35 AM