none
Windows 7 and Server 2003

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any error message when login on the machine via the roaming profile?

Here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Temporarily turn off firewall on each machine.

2. Assure the roaming profile has enough privilege to access the redirect folder on the server machine.

3. Check whether there is any event log on the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003 machine. If so, please search the error message about roaming profile and post the error here for research.

Thanks,

Novak

Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:09 AM
  • You are right there is an event on the W7 computer, on the windows 2003 events the user’s logon credentials are fine.

For clarity; domain & user names have been replaced with mydomain/user.

My server 2003 redirect folders were configured from; http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/274443?p=1 about 5 years ago and have never had a permission problem.  Is there a folders permission change W7 is required to have that is different from the original Windows XP / Server 2003 configuration? The strange thing is if I catch a student fast enough I will have them log off and log back in and then they seem to be able to save & create, folders & files.

3 events are posted and the XML data has been removed.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection
    Date:          4/29/2010 3:03:04 PM
    Event ID:      502
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          MYDOMAIN\user
    Computer:      HP6005-3283.mydomain.local
    Description:
    Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "RoamingAppData" to "\\Mydomain-pdc-2\Student_Files\Students\user\Application Data".
     Redirection options=0x9001.
     The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\Mydomain-pdc-2\Student_Files\Students\user\Application Data"".
     Error details: "Access is denied.
    ".

********************************************************************************

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
    Date:          4/29/2010 2:16:21 PM
    Event ID:      1511
    Keywords:     
    Description:
    Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

*******************************************************************************************

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
    Date:          4/29/2010 3:03:00 PM
    Event ID:      1521
    Keywords:     
    Description:
    Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

********************************************************************************

Friday, April 30, 2010 12:06 PM
  • I picked up something on the error that I didn’t notice earlier. In the path;

\\Mydomain-pdc-2\Student_Files\Students\user\Application, \Students\ shouldn’t be in the path. I’m not sure where it’s being generated from except the fact that the are "student users" live in an OU called “students”. So I doubled checked my GPO and indeed the path reads; Path: \\mydomain-pdc-2\Student_Files\%USERNAME%\My Documents

One more thing, there is a mandatory profile for students and I know W7 doesn’t like XP mandatory profiles. But I don’t know why that might create the error.

So in conclusion to this post the reason the error is being generated is because during the redirect the user doesn’t have permission to access \\Mydomain-pdc-2\Student_Files\Students\user\Application but would have permission I think if the path read; \\Mydomain-pdc-2\Student_Files\user\Application. Again I don’t know why \Students\ is being added?

Any thoughts?

Rick

Friday, April 30, 2010 4:12 PM
  • I'm wondering if the mandatory profiles that are used with windows XP could be causing problems with W7 computers?
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:22 AM