none
Powerpoint save issues RRS feed

• Question

• We have a staff member experiencing intermittent save issues in PowerPoint. He started noticing it while working in a document that he received from someone else.. he could save the document with a new name, but could not save over the original document. Every time he tried he received a very vague error message about not being able to save. I can not remember the exact wording of the error message. We tried an Office Repair, to no avail.

I tried closing out of PowerPoint and creating a new document and encountered the same issues. I could save it as a new document, but any time I edited the document and tried to save I received the same error message. Later the staffer was able to save just fine, then all of a sudden started experiencing the issue again. He's mostly been working with that third party document.

Could it be something in that document causing an issue within the program? Is it more than likely a corrupt profile? Any help would be appreciated!

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, did this problem only appear in a specific PowerPoint file? How did the user receive the file? From Outlook or other ways?

Where did you save the file? Did you save it in Desktop or network?

What's the meaning of "creating a new document"? Did you create a new blank PowerPoint file or re-save as the problem PowerPoint file as a new file in the same location?

I suggest you try to open PowerPoint in safe mode running the following command: Press Win + R, type "PowerPoint /safe" in the blank box, press Enter. If it works fine in safe mode, please check the add-ins in your excel and disable them.

Try to provide more information about this problem, I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 7:22 AM
  • The user first noticed this issue while working on a specific PowerPoint file, but after he started receiving the error it would occur on other PowerPoint files.

We were working with files saved on the Network. I was going to try troubleshooting by working with local files, but the problem is intermittent and by the time I got to that point it was no longer occurring.

I created a brand new document from within PowerPoint and had the same issue.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

Try this method:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/powerpoint/damaged-presentation

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:48 AM