none
Can I run Access Runtime on Windows 2008 Terminal Server

Question

• Hi Guys,

I have a client with an SBS 2003 server. They use a Microsoft Access 2007 database which is split in two. a front end (Which includes all the forms) and each of the client PC's has a copy of the frontend on their PC's. And a backend (which contains only the tables of data) which sits on the SBS 2003 domain controller. Each client PC links their front-end to the tables on the back-end.
    They now have a requirement for certain users to be able to access this database remotely.
    I have suggested using a windows 2008 server with Terminal services enabled. - However, on doing some investagiation I have been told that each user who needs to connect remotely to the termninal server would need a Full Open Licence of Office 2007 Proffessional. This would be over $500 per user and is just not viable.

I was wondering if I could install a copy of MS Access Runtime 2007 on the terminal server 2008( And create a shortcut to the 'All users' profile desktop) which uses the front-end of their existing database to point to the data on the back-end.

or is there some other solution without having to install the full Office suite on the terminal server

regards

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:27 AM

Answers

• The regular version will be just fine.  There shouldn't have to be anything special (outside of installing it through control panel or with change user command) you need to do to get it to install correctly.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:31 PM

All replies

• I have seen others install the access runtime on terminal services.  There shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't work.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Thanks Jeff,
    Do you know if there is there is a special TS version of Runtime? or should I just download the regular version and install it to be used for Terminal services via the Control Panel?

thanks again.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:28 PM
  • The regular version will be just fine.  There shouldn't have to be anything special (outside of installing it through control panel or with change user command) you need to do to get it to install correctly.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

"In order to install and run the following Office 2007 suites or apps on a Windows Terminal Server

Access 2007
    Excel 2007
    InfoPath 2007
    OneNote 2007
    PowerPoint 2007
    Word 2007
    SharePoint Designer 2007

You must use a Volume License (VL) version and CD key. "

For detailed information, please refer to the article below.
    Office 2007 Apps on Terminal Services
    http://blogs.msdn.com/brittog/archive/2007/04/06/office-2007-apps-on-terminal-services.aspx

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 6:14 AM
  • Mervyn, the runtimes will not run on TS?
    Monday, August 3, 2009 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

I haven’t tested that, but the Runtime should work.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Hi All!

I prefer to install programs on terminal server to a nonsystem partition. Does exist any way to install MS Access Runtime to a different path? For example D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

Monday, November 9, 2009 6:31 AM