none
Win7 IE8 Hotmail mailto Does Not Work

Question

• Is anyone else having this problem? I'm running Win7 32-bit. I can't get the mailto function from Web sites to work. They don't do anything: nothing launches, nothing appears to try to launch, no error messages.

I've tried using the Default Programs applet but it isn't recognizing any separate email programs. My only option is "Use my current email program." Which is exactly what I want to do, but that doesn't work. I've gotten a message when I try to use the Reply button on some mailing lists. It tells me the default mail client isn't configured correctly.

Like I said, the Default Programs applet only shows that one selection with no options. Anybody else having this problem or know of a workaround? Thanks!

Sid 

Intel E6750 OC'd to 2.9GHz - 4GB Corsair XMAS PC-6400 RAM - 80GB Maxtor PATA HD - Corsair 750W PSU - Cyber Snipa Stinger mouse / Saitek Eclipse keyboard - Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe sound card - Dual EVGA 880GT's in SLI - ViewSonic E90fb monitor - LiteOn external USB DVD/CD burner - Sony internal DVD/CD burner - HP C7280 AIO - D-Link 802.11N router
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:15 AM

Answers

• do you have windows live mail installed?  when i click on a mailto:  that's what comes up for me (but i had to install it since i didn't have it on board to start with)
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Hello

As Sabotank said there is no mail client installed by default in Windows 7.  Windows Mail shows up when you search for it but it is disabled at this time.  You have to installed Windows Live Mail part of the Windows Live Essentials Pack in order to be able to have use of the MailTo Function.

Regards,

~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:02 AM

All replies

•  Yes, I click on the mail icon and nothing happens.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:23 AM
  • do you have windows live mail installed?  when i click on a mailto:  that's what comes up for me (but i had to install it since i didn't have it on board to start with)
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Hello

As Sabotank said there is no mail client installed by default in Windows 7.  Windows Mail shows up when you search for it but it is disabled at this time.  You have to installed Windows Live Mail part of the Windows Live Essentials Pack in order to be able to have use of the MailTo Function.

Regards,

~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:02 AM
  • sabotank and Alex:

Thanks much, that was exactly what was needed! Between that and turning UAC off most everything is running perfectly now.

Sid

Intel E6750 OC'd to 2.9GHz - 4GB Corsair XMAS PC-6400 RAM - 80GB Maxtor PATA HD - Corsair 750W PSU - Cyber Snipa Stinger mouse / Saitek Eclipse keyboard - Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe sound card - Dual EVGA 880GT's in SLI - ViewSonic E90fb monitor - LiteOn external USB DVD/CD burner - Sony internal DVD/CD burner - HP C7280 AIO - D-Link 802.11N router
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Same here, mail is working perfectly now !! Thanks for the info !!
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:45 PM