Free space not displayed in Windows Explorer.

Question

• Team,
    I am running Windows 7 Build 7048 64 bit and I am missing the free space indicator which used to be on the bottom of the window.

I know that when the focus was on the root of the drive it never showed the available space but when you selected a directory (i.e. C:\temp) you were shown the available disk space.

I believe that the available space should be shown at all times when selecting a drive.

Regards,
    Tom Desi

Old Windows User
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 4:00 AM

Answers

• t0mn8r said:

Team,
    I am running Windows 7 Build 7048 64 bit and I am missing the free space indicator which used to be on the bottom of the window.

I know that when the focus was on the root of the drive it never showed the available space but when you selected a directory (i.e. C:\temp) you were shown the available disk space.

I believe that the available space should be shown at all times when selecting a drive.

Regards,
    Tom Desi

Old Windows User

Hi

Sorry, but we only support the officially released version (version 7000) of the Windows 7 beta on these forums.

Regards,

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 7:15 AM

All replies

• t0mn8r said:

Team,

Regards,
    Tom Desi

Old Windows User

Hi

Sorry, but we only support the officially released version (version 7000) of the Windows 7 beta on these forums.

Regards,

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 7:15 AM
  • Well, I´m using the officially released version 7000 and I miss this feature too.
    I think the free space of a drive AND the size of the files in the current folder are really useful and very important info, and should not be left out of the statusbar or the details pane.
    At least we must have a option (maybe by right click) to be able to see this very valuable information.

The lack of file sizes/drive free space almost turn using Windows Explorer impossible to me. There is no way to work with large ammount of data if you don´t know if it will fit in a drive/partition or removable device.
    XP used to provide this info right away, with only ONE single line in status bar, and it was awesome. I simple can´t use Windows Explorer anymore, if I need to select all the files I want, and them click "Show more info" just to be able to see their sizes.
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 3:11 AM
  • I agree this needs to be added back in! It is in Windows Server 2008! I am using RC build 7100 64-bit and it is not in Explorer. I want it back on the status bar or the "details pane". Additionally, the details pane should include the total size of files in the selected folder.

Very simple things, why would you remove them? Besides, the status bar is off by default. Advanced uses choose to have it on, and right now it is pretty much useless.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 2:20 AM
  • As I already said many and many times:

Hey, nice to see we have people asking for this only in a "few" threads:

here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/c704ecad-fa41-4d25-b91a-dca771b0fc84

here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/80d35989-dc14-411a-a942-68ebab2bab8d/

here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/1cbc3578-c8a8-42a7-a18e-308c0a63f977/

here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/12313c79-f39c-41dd-99d7-a600b1a0bc2a/

here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/b553534c-174c-4ba7-bc1d-513501f4c32c

Who want to make a bet? We will need a hundred or a thousand threads about the VERY SAME ANNOYANCE before Microsoft start to listen?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:49 AM
  • It's such a small, simple little feature... just put it back in!
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:12 AM
  • try build 7100. the details pane show file size (even total space for multiple files), drive space, and some other info. wont show the number of files in a folder though(so sad). status bar seems useless as of now (another sad thing) 

im using build 7100 32-bit
    • Proposed as answer by Drop By Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:58 AM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:58 AM
  • PLEASE PUT THE BLOODY DRIVE SPACE FREE BACK IN!
    Who cares if 9 people or 9000 people ask for it, it's stupid to remove it, what was the ADVANTAGE of removing it?

Do you like infuriating your technically savvy users? Is this some kind of test of our patience?!!
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Hello.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Well, I´m using the officially released version 7000 and I miss this feature too.
    I think the free space of a drive AND the size of the files in the current folder are really useful and very important info, and should not be left out of the statusbar or the details pane.
    At least we must have a option (maybe by right click) to be able to see this very valuable information.

The lack of file sizes/drive free space almost turn using Windows Explorer impossible to me. There is no way to work with large ammount of data if you don´t know if it will fit in a drive/partition or removable device.
    XP used to provide this info right away, with only ONE single line in status bar, and it was awesome. I simple can´t use Windows Explorer anymore, if I need to select all the files I want, and them click "Show more info" just to be able to see their sizes.
    I agree 110% BTW, using RC 7100 32-bit .
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:00 PM
  • I aggree totally.  If its not put back in I see a great opportunity to make some money with a third party app.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:47 PM