none
Windows 8 (only) Account Has Changed To Guest

Question

• Hi,

I just got Win8 this week and today removed the need to log-in with a password, as i am the only user / account.

Now I have realised that my account has been removed from admin and I do not have an admin account to fix it.

I cannot use any run commands or add accounts etc as I do not have admin. 

Also, I cannot figure out how to boot in safe mode without admin access. 

Please help. 

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:56 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem, what I did was:

Switch my user account to a Microsoft user account (non-local, it would be an email account username that you can setup with Windows for free)

Then I changed startup to start in safe mode (you CAN do this without being an admin, just follow the instructions on "How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)" on howtogeek)

When safe mode started up, it automatically pulled up the administrator account

I then pressed the "windows" key, and typed-in "netplwiz" and hit "enter"

When done, it pulled up the checkbox to login with a password

I checked this box

Then, I manually made my user accounts administrator accounts (highlight each account you want to be admin accounts and click on "properties")

Finally, I rebooted into normal mode, and bam!  I'm an administrator again!  Unfortunately, you will not be able to automatically login for now, I have reported this issue to windows, and hopefully they will have a patch out shortly, but I'm not crossing my fingers :\

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:08 AM

All replies

• How to boot in Safe Mode
    --------------------------------
    Press Win+R to call Run, type msconfig in the box and press Enter. On boot tab, select Safe boot and restart the computer. After booting in Safe Mode, try to modify the account type or enable build-in administrator account.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 7, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Well if poster has same problem as me you need to log in as administrator to run msconfig... your answer is invalid
    Friday, December 14, 2012 5:33 AM
  • I had the same problem, what I did was:

Switch my user account to a Microsoft user account (non-local, it would be an email account username that you can setup with Windows for free)

Then I changed startup to start in safe mode (you CAN do this without being an admin, just follow the instructions on "How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)" on howtogeek)

When safe mode started up, it automatically pulled up the administrator account

I then pressed the "windows" key, and typed-in "netplwiz" and hit "enter"

When done, it pulled up the checkbox to login with a password

I checked this box

Then, I manually made my user accounts administrator accounts (highlight each account you want to be admin accounts and click on "properties")

Finally, I rebooted into normal mode, and bam!  I'm an administrator again!  Unfortunately, you will not be able to automatically login for now, I have reported this issue to windows, and hopefully they will have a patch out shortly, but I'm not crossing my fingers :\

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:08 AM
  • In case anyone else comes across this post in the hopes of fixing the problem that Microsoft didn't yet. The best and most effective way to fix this is to

follow these steps.

1. Throw your computer away!

2. Curl into a ball and cry because you paid microsoft for the aggravation.

But in all seriousness follow these steps:

1. Download Ubuntu and install it as a dual boot option on your windows system.  (or use a live cd installed on a memory stick)

2. install a program called "change nt password" on the ubuntu installation. You can do this by installing Synaptic Package Manager from the Ubuntu Application store. Once it's installed you search inside the Package manager for "chntpw" click on the tick box next to it and apply the changes.

3. open up the terminal window in ubuntu and open up your home folder. In the home folder right click on the disk that has windows installed on it and select properties, This will show you the disk's id.

4. In the terminal window type "cd media/<disk id>/Windows/System32/config" without quotation marks. You'll now be in the windows disk where it stores its log on details.

5. in the terminal window type "sudo chntpw SAM" without quotation marks. This will run you through a list of options for the administrator account in windows, which is normally disabled for some reason.

6. Enable the account by selecting the corresponding option and restart your machine.

7. Profit!! After you restart you will be able to log into the administrator account, You can then use this account to re-apply your administrator privileges to your normal user. You'll find this under Control Panel / Users

I know it seems long winded but trust me its one of the easiest to understand and it will always work.

For additional details on the chntpw app for ubuntu, google it. You could also try googling "change windows nt password with ubuntu" this should bring up the how to geek article that has the original content with screen shots. Although with the new installation of ubuntu I had to go and install the synaptic manager before i could do anything else. The new ubuntu has a bit of a different layout and some of the items you would normally have are not there.  

Good luck to anyone finding this article and I hope you have success!

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:32 PM