none
Burned Windows 7 ISO to disk and wont boot or install

Question

• I downloaded and burned to disc 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_enterprise_en-us_EVAL_Eval_Enterprise-GRMCENXEVAL_EN_DVD.iso and the disc looks good but I get "this installation disc isnt compatible with your version of windows" and I need correct installation disk or to boot using the installation disc. in windows vista bussnes 32 bit and in XP 32bit. also wont boot from disc......reads for a minnut or 2 then no boot mng message. bad download? burned 3 disk using 2 dif programs.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:07 PM

Answers

• Thank you all for your input....looking at everything that was said I found that the file name was the problem and changed it from 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_enterprise_en-us_EVAL_Eval_Enterprise-GRMCENXEVAL_EN_DVD.Iso to WINDOW7 all in caps and then burned the disk again now it boots and is up and running now.....seem like simple problem now. Just somthing to overlook.
    • Marked as answer by bronzepony Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:18 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:12 AM

All replies

• http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/b8b8202c-6b58-4a9b-83d5-ce9432a4e07c  read it step by step.

This is a clean install method, BACK UP YOUR DATA, DO NOT FORMAT your disk.

also review this link http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/a3fc3dcd-38dc-4a2d-bae2-776725afe2c0

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:36 PM
  • The disk will not boot...vista XP or formated drive....tries to read it then moves on...I see some one was saying somthing about having to try to read it 20 times before it reads...is this the answer?

bronzepony
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Never heard of that wives tail myself. It either reads or it doesn't. You may have a burn issue but that doesn't have anything to do with the error you mention.

Did you set your BIOS to boot from CD/DVD first?   Did you burn the disk at normal speed or SLOW speed (must be slow for reliable burn). How many operating systems you have on this drive? You've mentioned XP and Vista now, and now trying to add to the list Windows 7 Enterprise. Explain step by step what are you doing and what it is you're attempting to do.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:52 PM
  • I have 2 separate operating systems on one computer and 3 other computers. I have burned the disk 3 times....last one on slow and used 2 different programs to do so.....I have no problem burning DVD's at all...I have 2 different 4 different DVD drives and all wont boot....looking at the disk all files seem to be there and dont notice any problem.......I can boot from a XP or vista cd.. so there is no problem with my bios setup or system

Thanx
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:30 PM
  • If I'm not completely wrong, the message "this installation disc isn't compatible with your version of windows" only appears if you try to install a 64-bit (or 32-bit) version of Windows from within a 32-bit (or 64-bit) previous OS version. It should definitely not appear if you are really booting from DVD (thus letting all previous installations out of the job). For example, the message would appear if you don't boot from DVD but instead start your previous version of Windows, double-click on "setup" on the DVD and try to start a 64-bit installation from a 32-bit environment. That won't work.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (50G),D:WIN7 (30G),F:DATA (250G)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:23 PM
  • I beleive I said it wont boot over Vist or xp and wont intall on vista or xp...that is when I get the message you are talking about....also wont boot on a new drive....also wont boot on my other 3 computers.....I hope this is clear now
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:05 PM
  • I'm confused by what you say. It sounds like you have multiple unrelated problems.

I'd recommend checking the completeness of the downloaded .iso using its hash codes, but I haven't been able to find them.

One thing to try: extract the contents of the .iso you downloaded onto a bootable USB flash drive, and install Win7 from that. It avoids any DVD burning issues, and installs faster than from a DVD as well.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

(I used the shareware MagicISO to extract the data, but the freeware 7Zip would work as well, I'm told.)

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:01 AM
  • Thank you all for your input....looking at everything that was said I found that the file name was the problem and changed it from 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_enterprise_en-us_EVAL_Eval_Enterprise-GRMCENXEVAL_EN_DVD.Iso to WINDOW7 all in caps and then burned the disk again now it boots and is up and running now.....seem like simple problem now. Just somthing to overlook.
    • Marked as answer by bronzepony Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:18 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:12 AM