none
Task Scheduler Corrupt Tasks

Question

• Hello,  I went through several forum solutions about this issue yet haven't found one that match my case.  I have the following error message when open up the task scheduler:

Task BackgroundConfigSurveyor: The task image is corrupt or has been tempered with

Nothing else.  No list of the tasks to tell which one of the tasks is corrupt.

Therefore, I didn't want to go to the registry and delete all the listed tasks.

If anyone has a solution for this incident, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To troubleshoot this issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.     Commonly Task Scheduler task image is located in : C:\Windows\System32\Tasks, please delete related corrupted image in this folder and see if the issue occurs.

2.     Delete related registry item in the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

Please locate to related folder with the same ID displayed on the error message, and delete this item.

Note: Pay attention to back up your registry before doing any modification.

Meanwhile, you can also visit the following website on similar issue first.

Task Scheduler task image corrupted

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/f86919c0-6a09-4f08-955a-76084a37db73/

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 29, 2011 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,  I went through several forum solutions about this issue yet haven't found one that match my case.  I have the following error message when open up the task scheduler:

Task BackgroundConfigSurveyor: The task image is corrupt or has been tempered with

Nothing else.  No list of the tasks to tell which one of the tasks is corrupt.

Therefore, I didn't want to go to the registry and delete all the listed tasks.

If anyone has a solution for this incident, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my OS is Windows 7 home premium.
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Hi Hakan964, you said..

Nothing else. No list of the tasks to tell which one of the tasks is corrupt.

Sorry, I don't know the solution. But perhaps if you can see the list of tasks running you can go into the programs and stop them individually to perhaps find the one that is causing it. There may be clues in Resource monitor/task Manager to help you cross reference with the listed tasks also.

Does event viewer give you any clues as to what's happening? 

All the best with it. pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

To troubleshoot this issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.     Commonly Task Scheduler task image is located in : C:\Windows\System32\Tasks, please delete related corrupted image in this folder and see if the issue occurs.

2.     Delete related registry item in the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

Please locate to related folder with the same ID displayed on the error message, and delete this item.

Note: Pay attention to back up your registry before doing any modification.

Meanwhile, you can also visit the following website on similar issue first.

Task Scheduler task image corrupted

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/f86919c0-6a09-4f08-955a-76084a37db73/

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 29, 2011 10:26 AM
  • I realize this is an old thread; however it was one I read through when trying to solve a similar problem. I did find a solution that worked for me on Win 7 x64. It allowed me to recover all of my Scheduled Tasks and even eliminate some I did not care about/want.

Rather than reposting my (rather long) answer here, you may find it at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/task-scheduler-catastrophic-failure-error/9a262f03-e9b4-4c40-a807-3702f7699beb?tm=1346999925749.

- dennis

• Proposed as answer by DennisAd Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:36 AM
    Friday, September 07, 2012 6:46 AM