none
Black screen in place of login screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been problem with Vista (5384) for a few days. I have now
    installed it twice now on my Toshiba M60-184 (100MB drive, 1Gb memory) and both times it has installed fine. I use only Microsoft Vista drivers.

However in both cases when I came back to boot it the next day it will not
    boot to a login prompt. I end up at a black screen (not a blank screen)
    showing the build number in the bottom right. If I try to boot in VGA mode
    or Safe mode I get exactly the same.
    The only option seems to be a reinstall, a lot of work each day if I want to
    use Vista !

My Vista is connect to a Domain with Windows Server 2003. This problem seem to be appear when I change site with different range of IP address. But each site have a DHCP server...

Help me please....

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 6:40 AM

Answers

• Having the same issue myself with Vista(5472)/July CTP running on a Dell Inspiron 8500.

Worked fine last night. 

Took laptop to work this morning, booted it up and have gotten identical results as the original poster.

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 1:06 PM

All replies

• Having the same issue myself with Vista(5472)/July CTP running on a Dell Inspiron 8500.

Worked fine last night. 

Took laptop to work this morning, booted it up and have gotten identical results as the original poster.

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 1:06 PM
  • I too have the same problem. I ran the RC1 build 5600 for about a week and a half, then booted up yesterday to this black screen with only the build information. Any reboots, restores, recoverys, safe mode attempts were all met with the same black/build # screen.
    Friday, October 6, 2006 4:32 PM
  • same problem for me... i'm running a Dell Latitude d820 with RC1
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:12 AM
  • Insert Windows Vista DVD and select Repair Windows.

Good luck

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:44 PM