none
how to change windows 7 ultimate lanuage from japanese to english

Question

• I just bought a dell computer in Japan where I live with Windows 7 Ultimate on it.  I have read that it is possible to change the language from Japanese to english, but changing via language packs from Microsoft Updates or in regional language and keyboard sections don`t work either... Dell support in Japan say it`s impossible aswell... Is this true?

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• I just bought a dell computer in Japan where I live with Windows 7 Ultimate on it.  I have read that it is possible to change the language from Japanese to english, but changing via language packs from Microsoft Updates or in regional language and keyboard sections don`t work either... Dell support in Japan say it`s impossible aswell... Is this true?

Try checking on Windows Updates and going to Optional section. You should see the different language packs. I hope I helped. :)
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

Please visit the following guide to change the display language:

Install or change a display language

Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise

Best Regards

Dale

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:33 AM
  • Install New Multilingual User Interface (MUI) in Windows 7 Ultimate:

1. Start -> All Programs --> Windows Update --> Optional Updates.
    2. Open optional Updates and go to the section Windows 7 Language Packs.
    3. Tick the Multilingual User Interface (MUI) you want and click OK
    4. Proceed with Install Updates

How to change the Windows 7 Display Language:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region / Change the display language
    2. Switch the display language in the Choose a display language drop down menu.
    3. Click OK
    4. Log off for the changes to take effect (This will affect only the user profile under which you are currently logged on).

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Thanks guys, appreciate the help, but after doing that (i had a japanese friend come over to help navigate through the kanji) and logging off and on again, everything is still in Japanese - all dell do is tell me to buy another windows 7 ultimate english version ..
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Thanks guys, appreciate the help, but after doing that (i had a japanese friend come over to help navigate through the kanji) and logging off and on again, everything is still in Japanese - all dell do is tell me to buy another windows 7 ultimate english version ..

You shouldn't need to by another copy of Ultimate if you currently have Ultimate.

Are you sure you have Windows 7 Ultimate? Does restarting still not help?

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Install New Multilingual User Interface (MUI) in Windows 7 Ultimate:

1. Start -> All Programs --> Windows Update --> Optional Updates.
    2. Open optional Updates and go to the section Windows 7 Language Packs.
    3. Tick the Multilingual User Interface (MUI) you want and click OK
    4. Proceed with Install Updates

How to change the Windows 7 Display Language:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region / Change the display language
    2. Switch the display language in the Choose a display language drop down menu.
    3. Click OK
    4. Log off for the changes to take effect (This will affect only the user profile under which you are currently logged on).

"How to change the Windows 7 Display Language"

This is the solution! please refer to TrekDozer's steps.

Best Regards,
    Calven

Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:52 AM
  • ok thanks Calven - we went through the already loaded display languagues via  Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region / Change the display language and after restarting didn't work.
     i'll get my japanese colleague round again to go through the japanese kanji and load up the language packs first from Microsoft updates, as I don't think he did that last time.. will let you know, thx

Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hi. I forget an important thing, sorry.

Change Operating System Display language only affects the current logon user. Please let your friend logon your computer first, and then change the display language. Good Luck.

Have a nice day!
    Calven

Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:47 AM
  • If you are wish to install again. I think you may have a shot.

When installing the windows 7, If I am not wrong, there is a language selection option. Since youa re in Japan and hope that you have Japanese keyboard. So It is necessary to select English (US) as the Language and select Japanese Keyboard. Then without any problem you will be able to use windows 7 Ultimate with Japanese Keyboard support.

Even though I'm in Japan, I havent bought my copy of windows in Japan. So I'm not sure wheather there is a special copy of ultimate sell in Japan. If not Lucky you.!

If you don't want to install a fresh copy of windows again, I ll check with TrekDozer's steps and let you know.

Asela Bentharage
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:06 AM