none
Open Windows 7 and all screens to a full screen

Question

• As in my Windows Vista programs, all I had to do was to go to properties and change the open window to to full screen. But how do I do it in Windows 7? I've tried the ol fashion way by holding down the mouse and draging the lower left corner of the window to the bottom of the bottom left of the screen but it does not work. If I have let's say 20 programs and I know tha I will have to reinstall when the Windows 7 comes out, but what do I do in the mean time with all 20 that I am now using? Sugg?
    Thanks
    Harry
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

I'm sorry for not be quite clear about your question, according to my understanding, your issues are:

1. How to automatically open applications in a maximized window in Windows 7?

2. Is there any method to maximize a window that is in use by holding and dragging the mouse?

If I misunderstand anything, please feel free to let me know.

To move on, if it is what you mean, answers are as follows:

1. In Windows 7, applications remember the previous status of window size. If you run an application and set it to maximized then close, the next time you open it automatically in a maximized window. Moreover, we also can configure in Properties of shortcuts to run in Maximized window.

2. While you are using any application, you can simply drag this application to the top of screen then it get to the full screen window. Moreover, you can also press WIN + up keys to maximize the current window.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Monday, August 17, 2009 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

I'm sorry for not be quite clear about your question, according to my understanding, your issues are:

1. How to automatically open applications in a maximized window in Windows 7?

2. Is there any method to maximize a window that is in use by holding and dragging the mouse?

If I misunderstand anything, please feel free to let me know.

To move on, if it is what you mean, answers are as follows:

1. In Windows 7, applications remember the previous status of window size. If you run an application and set it to maximized then close, the next time you open it automatically in a maximized window. Moreover, we also can configure in Properties of shortcuts to run in Maximized window.

2. While you are using any application, you can simply drag this application to the top of screen then it get to the full screen window. Moreover, you can also press WIN + up keys to maximize the current window.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Monday, August 17, 2009 8:20 AM
  • I have also the same problem in windows 7. I see that they didn't fix this problem since vista. I have tried the fix above form the dale qiao but that doesn't work. My problem is that  I want to go to my mailbox from live messenger and I always get the same small window to see my email from hotmail but i would like to get it maximized. Is there a way to have windows 7 remember the size as maximized. This is really annoying...!!!!!

Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:39 PM
  • This is just so bad.

What is the purpose of IT? To make our lives easier, more productive.

When will Microsoft help? Windows 24? Ever?

I've always been annoyed by the lack of ability to open all windows in Full Screen. Why do I want windows to open less than full screen? Well maybe when I'm dragging and dropping from one application to another. How often do I do that? Hardly ever. I usually use one application at a time and switch between them using the task bar. I do not need windows in partial view. I want a full screen visible for each application or nothing at all.

NORMAL should be full screen. Like when I'm watching TV or reading a book, you know - one thing at a time! We're getting more and more used to multi-tasking having inputs from several sources at once, but that doesn't make it good. It's interruption. It's distraction that should be prevented where possible.

Here's a further annoyance in Windows 7.

I want to upload multiple files to a website which requires me to browse/upload/browse/upload/browse/upload ... you get the idea I'm doing this LOTS of times.

When I click on browse I get a small dialogue box with LARGE icons and it defaults to desktop location.

What I want is a LARGE dialogue box with a LIST of files which defaults to my Pictures folder. But I can't have it my way. It's always small dialogue, large icons, desktop location. UGH!

So now it's not just browse/upload/browse/upload/browse/upload BUT

browse/select list/resize/change location/upload

I planning to teach ICT. It's these annoyances that frustrate people, turn them off, make them want to do anything other than BORING IT. When will Microsoft start focusing on giving us productivity tools that help us rather than giving us "glass" for example. How does glass make my life any easier? I don't want to see applications side by side let alone see one application through another.

What is Microsoft's vision? To help users be more productive or to distract us from getting on with our work?

End of rant. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Ok, I can live with Windows 7 not opening up in full screen mode, but I can't stand the fact that I can't resize my windows to how I see fit (in near maximum mode) and it just wont take. I tried the usual keystrokes like holding down the Control and Shift keys, but they don't work.
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:52 PM
  • This is just so bad.

What is the purpose of IT? To make our lives easier, more productive.

When will Microsoft help? Windows 24? Ever?

I've always been annoyed by the lack of ability to open all windows in Full Screen. Why do I want windows to open less than full screen? Well maybe when I'm dragging and dropping from one application to another. How often do I do that? Hardly ever. I usually use one application at a time and switch between them using the task bar. I do not need windows in partial view. I want a full screen visible for each application or nothing at all.

NORMAL should be full screen. Like when I'm watching TV or reading a book, you know - one thing at a time! We're getting more and more used to multi-tasking having inputs from several sources at once, but that doesn't make it good. It's interruption. It's distraction that should be prevented where possible.

Here's a further annoyance in Windows 7.

I want to upload multiple files to a website which requires me to browse/upload/browse/upload/browse/upload ... you get the idea I'm doing this LOTS of times.

When I click on browse I get a small dialogue box with LARGE icons and it defaults to desktop location.

What I want is a LARGE dialogue box with a LIST of files which defaults to my Pictures folder. But I can't have it my way. It's always small dialogue, large icons, desktop location. UGH!

So now it's not just browse/upload/browse/upload/browse/upload BUT

I planning to teach ICT. It's these annoyances that frustrate people, turn them off, make them want to do anything other than BORING IT. When will Microsoft start focusing on giving us productivity tools that help us rather than giving us "glass" for example. How does glass make my life any easier? I don't want to see applications side by side let alone see one application through another.

What is Microsoft's vision? To help users be more productive or to distract us from getting on with our work?

End of rant. Thanks for reading.

I musta been having a bad day, this really made me laugh. 

Mac MacAnanny
    12 Year AD and Exchange Design Engineer

OSD Department of Defense
    Federal Contractor
    Microsoft Infrastructure Engineer.

• Edited by Mac1973 Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:10 PM niceity
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:16 AM
  • I'm sorry, but that doesn't work.  I've read the same advice before, and I always maximize my screen on EVERY site, and when I reopen them they are about 75% size,  Windows Vista and 7 will NEVER be as good as XP, period.

Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Narrowminded individuals.  Open the window and it's not maximized, oh my, there is .10 seconds of life wasted.  Just hit Windows Key+ Up Arrow for maximize. Down,Left and Right have their own features as well.  So do 1 - 9. 

Windows 7 and Windows XP are very different operating systems. 

Mac MacAnanny - Engineer - DoD - Office of the Secretary of Defense - DoD
    Monday, May 23, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Mac1973 that didn't do it for me. I am a techie too......I managed in clicking too much to make my CompanionLink screen so small I can only see the top toolbar. None of the suggestions helped. Any more?

Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:12 AM
  • Hate win 7. loved xp, cuz it was very logical for a 70yo man. So I fooled around with the ways I used to do it on XP. Use the thingie between the - and X AND MAKE IT OPEN RIGHT UP TIGHT AGINST THE EDGES. aT THE TOP EDGE OF THE WINDOW, RT KLIK AND HOLD DOWN SHIFT AND KLIK CLOSE. WORKED FOR ME. [DURN kaps loks]
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:56 AM
  • Thank you, that works. Also lets you maintain other sizes. How the heck did you figure that out:)

Friday, March 16, 2012 7:15 PM
  • If it does not work with maximised state, drag the corners of the window to reside to the maximum size ('sized' state to the 'maximised' size) and close the window, it will remember it's size and that may be enough for some like me.

ManMis

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:49 AM
  • Had this crap myself in windows 7, especially when opening new mail from messenger.

I messed around and found that the following worked.

Click whatever link it is that makes the new window open less than full screen.

Put mouse pointer over bottom left corner of that window, hold down left mouse button and drag it until it is full screen.

Release mouse button and click the X to close the window.

Now click on the same link as in the first part to open the window again and it should be full screen, mine was.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:54 PM
  • Another solution that does not work for me. Why was it so impossible for the phd's that worked on windows to have a simple option in the internet properties to allow ALL windows to open full screen? How come Gates never noticed this? Oh well.

I wait for the next suggestion.

Friday, June 29, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Your suggestions do not work. Also, where in "Properties of shortcuts" is there any mention of window size?

Does anyone know the answer yet?

Sunday, July 01, 2012 5:24 PM
  • your first answer doesn't work, i opened a film through vlc player closed it once i'd adjusted it to full screen & closed it again. I opened it straight back up & it was small again!!

Friday, July 13, 2012 11:39 PM
  • My response just relates to opening windows from a shortcut on the desktop.

This procedure has worked for me for several years.

1. open the window and stretch the edges to the size that you want. NB. do not us maximize option.

2. then right click on a link withing the window and select the option 'open in a new window' see note #1

3. then stretch the edges of the new window. N.B. again do not use maximize option.

4. now close the first window, then close the second window.

5. now open any window on the desktop and it should open fully.

note #1  do not know how to define a link within the page, but right click on some of the items that open another window and you will soon find one that has the option to open in a new window.

• Edited by microhide Friday, September 13, 2013 8:47 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 8:45 PM
  • This is NOT so. I have to resize my windows EVERY TIME I reboot win7 - It cannot and will not remember to open ALL screens at the maximum size. Why MSN failed spectacularly to transfer screen sizing that worked from XP is beyond me. Win7 has sent computing back 10 years. We're getting to a place where we now have 6 clicks to do ANYTHING rather than one. (which is why MSN have already abandoned Win 7 for 8)

MSN can create as many forums as they like (this is yet another that does no more to address their lousy system than all the others) They should put more effort into writing programs that work, than creating forums as a sop for incomplete, bug filled, bloated programs that just don't work, before dropping support altogether. PULL YOUR FINGER OUT MSN.

Thank God MSN don't make airplanes!!

Friday, January 24, 2014 10:59 PM
  • four years on and still no change - MSN have never really given a toss about users
    Friday, January 24, 2014 11:01 PM
  • yeah...all very good until you reboot and all this is wiped and win 7 reverts to miniature screens again. Face it people, windows can't be resized permanently and microsoft couldn't give a toss. Gone are the days when they fixed stuff, posted proper updates. NO more, You're on your own. MSN DO NOT CARE
    Friday, January 24, 2014 11:04 PM
  • In case others are still searching for a solution....open any window and drag it to the size that you want (not by dragging off the screen in any direction to get an automatic size but either by selecting the "full screen" selector on the top right corner or by grabbing a corner of the window and drag it to the size you want)

Then while holding the Ctrl key close the window. Now ALL windows you open will be this size. Maybe not ideal but at least they won't open really small so that you have to resize every window you open.

After years of my laptop remembering the previous size, it started to default to a very small window upon opening anything. Even a system restore didn't correct it. The Ctrl trick worked for me.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:07 PM