none
Cloning Windows 8 to new disc and boot problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have Original disc configuration as below

SATA 3                  0              DISK 2                   Windows7        INTEL SSDSC2CT24OA3
    SATA 3                  1              DISK 0                   Data Disk        ST2000DMOO1 -9YN164

SATA 2                  2              CD/DVD                  Optiarc BD RW BD-53005
    SATA 2                  3              DISK 1                   BLANK                       WDC WD3200BPVT-OOJJSTO
    SATA 2                  4              DISK 3                   WINDOWS 8               SAMSUNG HN-MSOOMBB

Disk 0, Disk 2 and CD/DVD are connected inside the computer case.

Disk 1 and Disk 2 are connected via StarTrch Dual SATA Hot Swap Bay.

I have cloned the blank Disc 1 to Windows7 from Intel SSD

INTEL SSD (Disc 0)I have removed the volume etc and configured fresh Simple volume

My new configuration with Dual Boot Windows 7 (Disk1) and Windows 8 (Disc3) are working ok.

Now I have cloned the Windows 8 from Disc3 to Disc0 (IntelSSD) and tried to boot after disabling Disc 3

The Computer would not start stating there is no bootable device. (It will start Windows 7 only using bios setup)

I have tried to start the Computer using Windows 8 installation disc and go repair mode. It is unable to repair.

In the advanced setup mode I got the following error:

"THE DRIVE WHERE YOU HAVE INSTASLLED WINDOWSIS LOCKED. UNLOCK THE DRIVE AND TRY AGAIN"

Anybody has got solutions

Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:52 PM

Answers

• Try installing Windows 8 from the install disc on that SSD.  The issue might be related to the fact that sectors on a HDD and a SSD are completely different so there are extra steps needed and simply cloning is not going to work as its completely different hardware.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:45 PM

All replies

• Try installing Windows 8 from the install disc on that SSD.  The issue might be related to the fact that sectors on a HDD and a SSD are completely different so there are extra steps needed and simply cloning is not going to work as its completely different hardware.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:45 PM
  • Thanks

I have tried that solution and it works.

Only problem is I have to install all my software as also apps all over again and import all my email and other accounts which are part of C Drive.

Since I was able to clone Windows 8 from SSD to normal SATA Drives and boot without any problem, I have assumed the reverse must also work.

Kris

Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:01 AM
  • So now that we know your SSD can accept Windows 8 without issue we can now move forward with your clone and trying to get that to work.  First I hope that image is no bigger than your SSD?  If so then check the link below, specifically the section on Aligning the Sectors on your SSD.  Once they are aligned you should be able to restore your image to the SSD.  Give it a shot and post back.

http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:54 AM