none
Issues using Imagex on the Install.wim file RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

If anyone one wonder if you could help, i have had issues using the imagex on the install.wim file from the Vista Ent dvd, in particular the /mountrw it works on the boot.wim file ok , I am using Windows PE after downloading Windows AIK on to a Windows 2003 SP2 Server. I copied the install.wim file into a temp folder but was unable to mountrw the file.

Any ideas

Thanks

Thursday, April 12, 2007 10:25 AM

All replies

• what is your running OS when you tried to mount the install.wim? If it is winpe, then it is not supported. Mount operations are only supported on a full OS, not winpe.

If you are mounting on a full OS, what is the error message your get when mount fails?

• Proposed as answer by npreys Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:03 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:18 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem.  Got a lot of Latitude D631 with the SB600 sata controller that causes the Vista installation to take forever.  I got the hotfix from MS, but haven't been able to apply it because I can't mount the .wim file.  At first was trying to do it with WinPE, then I tried doing it directly on the WDS server and it didn't work either.  Imagex fails with the error "the request isn't supported".  The command I'm typing is:  imagex /mountrw g:\remoteinstall\images\imagegroup1\install.wim 1 c:\vista.  Already did an imagex /info to identify the id of the image.  Running Windows 2k3 SP1.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 10:57 PM
  • Are you mounting a split wim by any chance? That is one thing I can think of for such an error message.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Apologies for not replying sooner.

I have managed to fix the problem by carrying ou the below

Browse to the Windows imaging folder usually located in %systemroot%\Program Files\Windows Imaging,  right click the wimfltr.inf file and select install, once this is installed I was able to use Imagex /mountrw on the install.wim file.

Regards

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:44 AM