none
Windows Server 2003 - Network Printer/Spooling error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working IT in a office of about 40+ people. I've searched for similar topics but couldn't find a solution.

We have 3 printers connected (wired) to our server, running Windows Server 2003. All the drivers are up to date and I've isolated the issue to a networking issue. The problem appeared out of nowhere starting with the users with spooling errors.

On the server I go in start/stop spooler but this is only a temporary fix. It doesn't seem like any computers/laptops are connecting to the printers to print. Connecting to the printers via their IP on any browser works fine without any problems.

I've disabled DHCP, kept AutoIP on, they are all on static IP addresses on the network. When I go to delete and re-add the printers, it's not letting me even add them anymore.

**One weird occurrence where the printing queue from the day before would print around 8:00AM the day after.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Please let me know if you need any additional information!

EDIT: I have stopped spooler and cleared anything in the spool/PRINTERS folder in system32, started it again with no avail...

Peter

• Edited by PeterSMAA Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:59 PM

All replies

• Which Operating System have your clients?

And what happens when you try to add a printer? Which error do you have?

• Edited by ZazAra Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Most of them are on Windows 7, some are on XP - this was never an issue before.

When I try to add the network printers, they do not show up on the directory and if I try to add their IPs - says it cannot connect/printer lost connection to the server.

Peter

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Hi PeterSMAA,

disabling bidirectional support on printer's port settings and clearing SNMP status checkbox at port configuration makes any difference?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:50 AM
  • Have you checked your share permissions?
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Yes, I've checked the share permissions and everyone has the rights to print, manage, etc.

I've disabled bidirectional support and SNMP status was not checked already. No difference with or without.

Now when I'm trying to connect to the printer, I can't. If the IP is 192.168.1.12, I can ping it from any computer and access the printer via any browser but I'm unable to add the printer back...

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Are you able to print to any of the printers from the print server? 

Are the printers on the print server installed as local printers using standard tcp/ip ports?  Are the clients pointed to the server using network printers under each user's profiles?

Has there been any firewall changes on the server (specifically blocking outbound tcp port 9100)?

Is your anti-virus scanning the spooler directory/files?

What is the make/model of the printers?  Do they have the latest drivers installed?

Are the users part of a AD domain?  If so, try setting the print rights to "Domain Users".

Has anyone checked to make sure there isn't an issue with the switch that the printers are connected to?  (assuming it is not a "dumb" switch and has the ability to change its configuration.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Last night in the afternoon, the printers all of a sudden started to work, I thought things were going smoothly but I come in and check this morning - I get a "failed to print" "spooling error."

The printers all have the latest drivers. What can cause it to work sometimes and not other times?

Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Hi PeterSMAA,

why do you kept AutoIP on?

If it is used and there is no routing it assigns 169.254/16 addresses for the printers.

My hint is to disable it and give static IP from 192.168/16 to the printers.

but if you have a  "spooling error" it does not looks like server-printer connectivity issue.

Does those errors appears at all the printers? Pls paste the error details from Event Viewer.

Friday, December 14, 2012 5:57 AM