All files that are downloaded in windows 7 that have a cab file associated with them become corrupted and cannot be installed RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue with http downloads in windows 7.  I tried to download several progam from the web and they result in a littany of responses ending in they wont load here is the list:

Can not Install jre for windows 7 32 bit reports file is corrupted  Error 1313 has invalid digital signature
    Can not Install jre for windows 7 64 bit reports file is corrupted Error 1313 has invalid digital signature
    Cannot install drivers for Atheros in windows update installed from device manager
    Cannot install optional update Microsoft silver light (KB974331) Code 80200053\
    Cannot install optional update Hewlatt Packard - Imaging and printing - HP photosmart C6180 Code 80200053
    Cannot install windows 64 Bit driver from the HP site File is corrupted
    Cannot install optional Nvidia-Display - NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT in Microsoft update and in the device manager Code 80200053
    Cannot install optional update Windows Live Essentials Code 80200053
    Cannot install live update to Norton internet explorer 2010 fails to update
    Adobe Shockwave Player failed to install this program may have not installed properly
    Adobe Air failed to install this program may have not installed properly
    Adobe reader 9.2 reported a corrupted file (Check sum)
    Extracting firefox-3.5.5.en-US.win64.installer.exe CRC check failed
    CRC failed in WinRAR.exe

Some pretty basic and essential tools required to operate on the web or just simple computing

Here is the best part if I down load the files to my windows XP machine all downloads are sucessfully saved to my flash drive and the can be installed on my windows 7 64 bit machine. This is not efficient and not the basic way a computer is to work. I find I cannot install norton internetsecurtity and get the all the virus definition files to download and protect my machine.  This brings to recall UAC issue from vista and now it appears to have after life in windows 7, but you can't even download MS programs.

I have bricked a brand new hard drive formated and installed windows 7 64 bit as the only software installed there is no other software other than the operating system
    the vista operating system is on another disconnected drive  and when connected in place of rthe windows 7 drive it performs to all requirement
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:48 PM

Answers

• Well I think I have it fixed not sure what action was the final soultion But I will outline what I did:

Closed all the unused devices in Bios (Not IDE drives installed)
    Reinstalled Windows 7 x 64 with an OEM version
    Removed the partition
    Formatted the drive
    Performed a clean install
    Accepted automated downloads and rebooted
    attempted to install updates
    80070570,  the 53 error and the clock error (forgot the number) appeared reset the clock settings
    Went to the router Dlink- 615 Reset the nist server to Time.microsoft. com (founnd this was not an option) and added it
    Seemed to eliminate the clock issue. (previously it would come and go reset the clock and it would go away)
    Still continued to get errors with the updates
    Did and update with the oem version on top of the install
    Still got the update errors
    Renamed the download directory in SoftwareDistribution (wrote the script to automate)
    Some updates loaded others failed
    reran the script to rename the dowload directory changing the number .old1,.old2 .old3 succesively
    eachtime another update would load
    Three times seemed to be the charm
    All Critical and optional updates completed
    Now the test
    Went to JAVA to download Jre 6.17 for 32 bit and 64 bit Viole! it downloaded and installed
    Did the same for Adobe reader 9.2 and it also was succsessful
    Loaded Office 2007 (38 Patches) (4 were not required)
    Ran the initial 28 patches all at once Success
    Received 14 more patchs and they loaded also!
    Loaded windows Live sucessfully

So i think Im up and running

PS. No Compromise 

I did try in safe mode with networking resulted in the same issues

Monday, November 23, 2009 12:58 PM

All replies

• I personally don't have any problems downloading things in Windows 7.  Clearly millions of people can download software successfully.

I suggest you look into compatibility problems caused by things you have already installed.  That attempt to install Norton Internet Security, for example, could have left your system in a corrupted state.  Or perhaps you already have a malware infection.  I suggest the following:

1.  Choose Tools - Manage Add-Ons in Internet Explorer, and disable everything you don't KNOW you need.  Figure out what each Add-On does.  If you've been browsing the wild Internet, chances are you'll have a bunch of them.  Out of the box Windows only comes with a very very few (like 5 entries).

2.  Failing to achieve success with step 1, use System Restore to go back to a point prior to your attempt to install Norton and seeing if the problem goes away.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but in a way I feel sorry for Microsoft...  People download all kinds of software, much of which is not even built for Windows 7 and which changes the OS, then they blame the OS when it chokes.

-Noel
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Noel

I neglected to mention that the only software loaded is windows 7 nothing else will load even with 12 clean installs all the attempts for loading an antivirus software failed so I have given up and gone to support

I am working with Microsoft support and after a week of trouble shooting even they have had no success. All there trouble shooting effort comes up as expected. System performs as expected just cannot down load anything
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Wow, so it's happening on a clean install.

Sounds like data corruption in the networking layers somewhere then.  Can you try a different network interface (e.g., a USB adapter or something)?

-Noel

Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:44 AM
  • Any luck if you use "safe mode with networking" to download something?
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Well I think I have it fixed not sure what action was the final soultion But I will outline what I did:

Closed all the unused devices in Bios (Not IDE drives installed)
    Reinstalled Windows 7 x 64 with an OEM version
    Removed the partition
    Formatted the drive
    Performed a clean install
    Accepted automated downloads and rebooted
    attempted to install updates
    80070570,  the 53 error and the clock error (forgot the number) appeared reset the clock settings
    Went to the router Dlink- 615 Reset the nist server to Time.microsoft. com (founnd this was not an option) and added it
    Seemed to eliminate the clock issue. (previously it would come and go reset the clock and it would go away)
    Still continued to get errors with the updates
    Did and update with the oem version on top of the install
    Still got the update errors
    Renamed the download directory in SoftwareDistribution (wrote the script to automate)
    Some updates loaded others failed
    reran the script to rename the dowload directory changing the number .old1,.old2 .old3 succesively
    eachtime another update would load
    Three times seemed to be the charm
    All Critical and optional updates completed
    Now the test
    Went to JAVA to download Jre 6.17 for 32 bit and 64 bit Viole! it downloaded and installed
    Did the same for Adobe reader 9.2 and it also was succsessful
    Loaded Office 2007 (38 Patches) (4 were not required)
    Ran the initial 28 patches all at once Success
    Received 14 more patchs and they loaded also!
    Loaded windows Live sucessfully

So i think Im up and running

PS. No Compromise 

I did try in safe mode with networking resulted in the same issues

Monday, November 23, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Can you elaborate on the network layer I tried a direct connect to the modem but that did not seem to resolve issues the modem is way to far away yo connect to a usb port
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:33 PM