Windows 7/8.1 KMS without Server Key RRS feed

• Question

• I have a scenario which doesn't sound like it would be unique but I am having trouble finding a definitive answer. Currently our Microsoft Office KMS is running on one of our 2012 R2 DCs. We just acquired volume licensing for Windows (mostly 7) so I now have a KMS key for Windows 8.1 and 7. From what I understand, the 8.1 key will activate anything below so 7 would be included. Great. The question I have is how do I get that KMS key installed on the server? I get an error when I install that key because it is not valid on 2012 R2. Everything I can find says the server (2008 R2 and up) KMS key will activate Windows 7. I don't have a Windows Server KMS key because we do not have Server volume licensing. Do I have to spin up a separate VM running Windows 8.1 just to activate my clients? Since Windows 2012 R2 and 8.1 are "grouped" together can I use the 8.1 KMS key to activate 2012 R2 (doubt it)?
    • Edited by flakesam Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:10 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:10 PM

Answers

• Do I have to spin up a separate VM running Windows 8.1 just to activate my clients? 

Yes. (Although you must hold an appropriate license for this instance of Windows8.1, and, you would need to purchase a Retail license pack for the underpinning base Windows8.1 license to do that on a server-hosted VM)

Or, you could purchase a single WindowsServer2012R2 license, via VL, which would grant you the KMShost key for WS2012R2.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Monday, May 11, 2015 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by flakesam Monday, May 11, 2015 12:36 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Flakesam,

Every KMS host key is associated with a group of Windows editions. Additionally, a KMS host key that is associated with Windows client operating systems cannot be installed on Windows server operating systems, and vice-versa. This is true for all Windows operating systems except for Windows Server 2003. If you install a KMS host key on a Windows operating system that is not associated with that host key, you receive the following error message.

Refer to:

Update adds support for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 clients to Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012 KMS hosts

If you want to install a KMS host key on a computer running Windows 8.1, and the Clients locate the KMS server by using resource records in DNS, for more detailed information, please refer to these article:

Activate using Key Management Service

KMS Activation

If there is anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 11, 2015 8:25 AM
  • Do I have to spin up a separate VM running Windows 8.1 just to activate my clients? 

Yes. (Although you must hold an appropriate license for this instance of Windows8.1, and, you would need to purchase a Retail license pack for the underpinning base Windows8.1 license to do that on a server-hosted VM)

Or, you could purchase a single WindowsServer2012R2 license, via VL, which would grant you the KMShost key for WS2012R2.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Monday, May 11, 2015 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by flakesam Monday, May 11, 2015 12:36 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 8:36 AM
  • That's good to know, I didn't know you could get a KMS key for purchasing one license. Thanks!
    Monday, May 11, 2015 12:35 PM