none
Windows 8 can't connect to internet

Question

• I need some help trying to get an internet connection with my computer that I've installed with Windows 8. 

My setup (ASUS M5A88V with AMD Phenom II X4, and Kingston 8GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 1TB). 

When I diagnose the problem using Windows, I get the following message, "Wired ethernet connction does not have a valid ip configuration".  I've tried: 

1)  Updated the network adapters using the ASUS driver disk (both the MS Kernel Debug Network Adapter and the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller).  They both gave me the message that I had the most up to date drivers.

2)  Turned on and off the Windows firewall for both public and private networks.

3)  Tried to release and renew the ipconfig.  The renew got hung up and I had to cancel the command after a couple of minutes.  Below is the results of my ipconfig command.

Ethernet adapter Wired Ethernet Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f8ef:a841:fb6c:b4b7%12
       Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.180.183
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.{80BE1885-6F64-4CEF-BF4B-87A9DBF2080A}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

4)  And I went into the Wired Ethernet Connction Status properties and tried disabling and enabling the different checkboxes.

- Client for MS Networks

- QoS Packet Scheduler

- File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks

- MS LLDP Protocol Driver

- MS Network Adapter Multiplexer Protocol (this is not checked)

- Link-layer topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

- Link-layer topology Discovery Mapper Responder

- TCP/IP v6

- TCP/IP v4

5)  Changed the ethernet cable.  I've swapped it out with my other PC that is getting a connection and the cables and wall socket all work for it.

I don't know what else I should try or if there is something I need to download.  Or could it be a bad MOBO?  Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

F

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:26 AM

All replies

• Ok, I figured it out.  It was me being dumb.  I forgot that I had MAC address filtering on my router.  I added my new PC and everything is now working as it should.  Well the computer is fine at least, I'm not so sure about the new Windows 8, but that would be a whole other thread.

F

Da Bears!
    • Proposed as answer by Server Baba Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:35 AM
  • I need some help trying to get an internet connection with my computer that I've installed with Windows 8. 

My setup (ASUS M5A88V with AMD Phenom II X4, and Kingston 8GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 1TB). 

When I diagnose the problem using Windows, I get the following message, "Wired ethernet connction does not have a valid ip configuration".  I've tried: 

1)  Updated the network adapters using the ASUS driver disk (both the MS Kernel Debug Network Adapter and the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller).  They both gave me the message that I had the most up to date drivers.

2)  Turned on and off the Windows firewall for both public and private networks.

3)  Tried to release and renew the ipconfig.  The renew got hung up and I had to cancel the command after a couple of minutes.  Below is the results of my ipconfig command.

Ethernet adapter Wired Ethernet Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f8ef:a841:fb6c:b4b7%12
       Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.180.183
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.{80BE1885-6F64-4CEF-BF4B-87A9DBF2080A}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

4)  And I went into the Wired Ethernet Connction Status properties and tried disabling and enabling the different checkboxes.

- Client for MS Networks

- QoS Packet Scheduler

- File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks

- MS LLDP Protocol Driver

- MS Network Adapter Multiplexer Protocol (this is not checked)

- Link-layer topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

- Link-layer topology Discovery Mapper Responder

- TCP/IP v6

- TCP/IP v4

5)  Changed the ethernet cable.  I've swapped it out with my other PC that is getting a connection and the cables and wall socket all work for it.

I don't know what else I should try or if there is something I need to download.  Or could it be a bad MOBO?  Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

F

Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:55 PM
  •   Why did you post a Windows 8 question in a Windows 7 forum? Were you unaware of the Windows 8 Networking forum? 

Bill

Monday, March 18, 2013 1:12 AM