none
How to tell if Windows 7 Enterprise is the trial version?

Question

• How do I tell if I have the trial version installed?  I have created several images and Im afraid one of my systems is based off of the trial install.  I changed the date on the system so that it is 6 months out hoping that it would starting shutting down hourly if it was truly the trial version.  So far, no system shutdowns.  Is there any other way of determining if my install is the trial version?  I changed the product key on the system in question to a valid enterprise open license key and it accepted the key, does this mean anything?  Please help me determine if I need to wipe this system and recreate my image.

Thanks,

Grant
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:03 AM

Answers

• A trial version of Windows 7 Enterprise edition will have a notice appearing in the lower right of the desktop.  If you went ahead and changed the product key, the notice will be absent and the conversion from trial to perpetual license succeeded.  You can double-check by right-clicking on Computer and selecting Properties and view the Windows activation status.
    Carey Frisch
    • Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Hello Grant,

Windows 7 Enterprise version used the Volume License Key activation and such license is very expensive. You cannot enter a license key during installation when installing Windows 7 Enterprise. (the public key is only for system installation) To activate Windows 7 Enterprise, the system would automatically try to locate a KMS(Key Management Service) in your network after installation or you can chose to enter the MAK(Multiple activation key) and the system will no longer look for a KMS.

For more details, please refer to the following hyperlink.

Volume license key

Product Activation and Key Information

If you never purchased the product license / just download and apply the key from the website, it should be the 90-day trial version (almost the same product as the final release) and I think you could activate the product via KMS or MAK.

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:07 AM

All replies

• A trial version of Windows 7 Enterprise edition will have a notice appearing in the lower right of the desktop.  If you went ahead and changed the product key, the notice will be absent and the conversion from trial to perpetual license succeeded.  You can double-check by right-clicking on Computer and selecting Properties and view the Windows activation status.
    Carey Frisch
    • Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Hello Grant,

Windows 7 Enterprise version used the Volume License Key activation and such license is very expensive. You cannot enter a license key during installation when installing Windows 7 Enterprise. (the public key is only for system installation) To activate Windows 7 Enterprise, the system would automatically try to locate a KMS(Key Management Service) in your network after installation or you can chose to enter the MAK(Multiple activation key) and the system will no longer look for a KMS.

For more details, please refer to the following hyperlink.

Volume license key

Product Activation and Key Information

If you never purchased the product license / just download and apply the key from the website, it should be the 90-day trial version (almost the same product as the final release) and I think you could activate the product via KMS or MAK.

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:07 AM
  • I didnt think a trial version could ever be activated to run past the 90 day trial window without shutting down every hour.  I did activate using a valid enterprise MAK key but am still afraid that the system is not valid, how do I confirm that the system will funtion properly?  Like I said, Ive changed the date and the system is still running.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:40 AM