none
Windows XP goes to blank screen on start up

Question

• When I try to load Windows XP my computer screen goes blank after start up. A flashing prompt appers and nothing lese. If I try to type anything I get a beeping sound. I have tried to access ther safe mode screen and it goes directly to the balnk screen. Any sugestions?

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:23 PM

All replies

• I too am having this problem.  After install of SP3, when I reboot it goes to a flashing prompt.  No matter the wait, system is frozen.  Cannot go to Safe Mode and Windows XP SP2 install CD will not load.  The only way to get windows to boot up is to do a recovery with my back-up software.

Please help.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:03 PM
  • i am having the SAME problem! Its going to cost me $450 to fix it because it didnt download correctly. That or lose everything on my computer!!! What can I do????

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Morn all

I) First question if you had any sort of anti-virus program running first un-install Sp3 from here. If you are able to access safe mode you can run this KB to fix some problems. It may or may not work for you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979

If you are unable to boot into safe mode you can boot into your recovery console and type in this command listed after the kb covering recovery console. If you finally get to the recovery console. And there are no drives to install to, then the error definately is the lack of SATA drivers. Pressing F6 during the first boot up of the  recovery disk will allow you to place a disktte into your A: drive and allow the system to recognize STA drives.

Each system is different. Some are .inf sata, some are Via, and of course AMD or Nvidia are more recent chipsets with proper sources for SATA drivers.

support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Once you are in your recovery console check the

c:\windows\svcpack.log for the error.  Will give you direction for which error you have.

This will give you back your sp2 functionality.

batch C:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninstl\spuninstl.txt

Let this run until completion. It restore your sp2 to full function.

II) If yopu are able too boot into safe mode tner in the following line if you have an Intel computer

sc config amdppm start= disabled

If you have an Amd system try this command line from safe mode.

sc config intelppm start= disabled

What happen here is an OEM prepped an image of Sp2 with both ppms designed around an older sysprep. Microsoft stated prepping an image like this was not a good idea. Now it is coming due  Because  sp2 ignored the second image. Every thing was fine back then. Now when Sp3 processes a registery hive. It initializes every presented to it. Leading to a crash during the boot up hase.

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx

Please look at this posting. It explains many of the issues.

And if you still have problems. Please post back the name of the error, and the first series of numbers afterwards to get the right direction to fix your systems.

Keith

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 9:35 AM