none
How to remove/uninstall windows easy transfer? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have a dual boot Windows 7RC/ XP on my computer.
    After loving the Windows 7 performance I decided to use Windows Easy Transfer to move everything to my 7 install so I can work
    with 7 as my main OS.
    Although the utility worked fine for me (I hear for others it didn't), it now left me with no icons for my hard drives in BOTH the XP & 7
    installations. Also, whenever I click to brows my HD's the WET utility to start itself instead...
    How does someone removes the Windows Easy Transfer Utility from both drives? its not in my Add Remove Programs, and if I just try
    to delete the files (.exe + the WET folder) manually - clicking the drive will start a look-up for the WET install....
    Please help, this must bug others also.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Ronnie,
    Yap, I know you can - that's what I did. I used the Windows 7 easy transfer on my XP drive to do the transfer.

Now, the original question remains -
    how do I get the HD icons to be restored to default in both OS's? And - How do I stop the WET from mounting itself in every boot for both OS's?

If anyone would use this WET once W7 is out they'll need a way to uninstall it...
    ISCNitzan

Since I didn't get an answer - I found the manual solution myself. Hopefully it will help others, and maybe MS techs will write it to a small utility
    and solve it forever.

So, to remove WET completely and restore 'normal' HD icons and browsing do this:
    1. open my computer, select Tolls>Folder Options to open the Folder Options window
    2. In the View tab select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    3. Right Click each of the hard drive icons (in my case - XP drive & W7 drive) and select Explore
    4. Find Windows easy transfer.exe, windowseasytrasfer folder, and autorun.inf and delete them from the root of both drives
    5. reboot...

That's it, now both installations of windows will rebuild your autorun.inf and WET will no longer effect the OS.

Hope this helps,

ISCNitzan
    • Marked as answer by iscnitzan Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:44 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Since I am using XP pro & 7 RC Ultimate (no Vista!), I used only the new version installed with Windows 7...

Also, since I have a dual booth I didn't have to use a 3rd device for the transfer. Just saved the data collected by WET in a folder
    on one of the drives and completed the transfer it with Windows 7. Worked perfectly.

Still, how do I get the HD icons to be restored to default in both OS's? Now they both show with the unknown folder icon.
    And - How do I stop the WET from mounting itself in every boot for both OS's? Now clicking both drives starts the WET by default ... to browse the HD's I must right click>Explore...
    ISCNitzan
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:27 PM

All replies

• You can not use WET to transfer from XP to win7 the older version and the newer verson do not work together.

To use WET with Vista you run it from the Win7 DVD you do not use the older version with win7

Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Since I am using XP pro & 7 RC Ultimate (no Vista!), I used only the new version installed with Windows 7...

Also, since I have a dual booth I didn't have to use a 3rd device for the transfer. Just saved the data collected by WET in a folder
    on one of the drives and completed the transfer it with Windows 7. Worked perfectly.

Still, how do I get the HD icons to be restored to default in both OS's? Now they both show with the unknown folder icon.
    And - How do I stop the WET from mounting itself in every boot for both OS's? Now clicking both drives starts the WET by default ... to browse the HD's I must right click>Explore...
    ISCNitzan
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:27 PM
  • You can not use WET to transfer from XP to win7 the older version and the newer verson do not work together.

To use WET with Vista you run it from the Win7 DVD you do not use the older version with win7

Hi Bubbapcguy

Sorry, but this is misinformation. You can use the WET utility on the Windows 7 disk with Windows XP, the same way you use it with Windows Vista.

See the Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 section on the following website.

Step-by-Step: Windows 7 Upgrade and Migration for Beta

Hope this helps

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,
    Yap, I know you can - that's what I did. I used the Windows 7 easy transfer on my XP drive to do the transfer.

how do I get the HD icons to be restored to default in both OS's? And - How do I stop the WET from mounting itself in every boot for both OS's?

If anyone would use this WET once W7 is out they'll need a way to uninstall it...
    ISCNitzan
    Monday, July 13, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

ISCNitzan

Since I didn't get an answer - I found the manual solution myself. Hopefully it will help others, and maybe MS techs will write it to a small utility
    and solve it forever.

So, to remove WET completely and restore 'normal' HD icons and browsing do this:
    1. open my computer, select Tolls>Folder Options to open the Folder Options window
    2. In the View tab select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    3. Right Click each of the hard drive icons (in my case - XP drive & W7 drive) and select Explore
    4. Find Windows easy transfer.exe, windowseasytrasfer folder, and autorun.inf and delete them from the root of both drives
    5. reboot...

That's it, now both installations of windows will rebuild your autorun.inf and WET will no longer effect the OS.

Hope this helps,

ISCNitzan
    • Marked as answer by iscnitzan Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:44 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:44 PM
  • iscnitzan,

Yes it has been bugging me for a couple of days now since I did it. I tried in vain to find a way to uninstall WET from both drives and go back to the way things were prior to using it. I transferred more than I wanted and decided (too late) that I would be better off transferring things manually little by little.

So I will try the remedy you posted and let you know if it works for me. Thanks!

Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:48 PM
  • ISCNitzan

It worked !!!

The files to delete were not exactly the same, but so far it appears to have worked. My drives show up as they should.

THANK YOU for this info.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 11:04 PM