none
punkbuster "marked for deletion" "pnkbstrB.exe initialization error"

Question

• I've done a fresh install of win7x64 on Mar-26, since that install, an anticheat service, Punkbuster by evenbalance.com, does not work.  When joining multiplayer games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 or Call of Duty 4, I get kicked within a couple of minutes with the message: "[playername] kicked: pnkbstrB.exe initialization error"......  Important notes:

• Punkbuster runs as two services installed in \syswow64: pnkbstrA.exe and pnkbstrB.exe, these services are apparently being disabled by win7 and 'marked for deletion' per: http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6835/servicesnapin.jpg
    • In pre RTM versions of win7 this or a very very similar problem existed which I believe was due to punkbuster being specifically disabled by windows
    • I've done fresh installs on win7 numerous times since RTM from both Technet image and Retail DVD and punkbuster ran fine
    • my last install that ran correctly was Mar-4

I have taken many steps including:

1. clean reinstall of OS (x3), drivers, windows update, game, punkbuster, correct update of punkbuster
    2. manual installation of punkbuster with file by file check for version and correct location
    3. new COD4 via Steam for automatic install and punkbuster
    4. Windows Defender exclusion of punkbuster and the entire game folder
    5. open ticket with evenbalance.com, they've got no idea
    6. install of winxp mode / virtual pc, punkbuster runs fine in virtual mode, but you can't run full screen directx from virtual pc

so I'm looking for ideas.... a fresh install of win7 changed in some very significant way during March

multiple edits to reflect steps to date

• Edited by ANUoldman Monday, April 19, 2010 9:29 PM
    Friday, April 02, 2010 9:59 PM

Answers

• problem found:

for those concerned, if you are using Punkbuster with any game in Windows 7 including Call of Duty 4 (COD4) and Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BC2), and you are getting:
    -"[playername] kicked: pnkbstrB.exe initialization error" or
    -"losing key packets" or
    -when using Punkbuster, the pnkbstrB.exe service is 'Disabled' and "Marked for deletion'

I found that a common Microsoft tool software: Process Explorer by System Internals conflicts with Punkbuster causing the service to be stopped.
    This problem started when Process Explorer 12.xx was released in late March 2010 and is still broken. 
    All you have to do is run an earlier version, the most recent proved to be working correctly is 11.33

This brings up the important point that using ANY other software than the OS itself can lead to compatibility problems with PB

finally fixed

• Marked as answer by ANUoldman Monday, April 19, 2010 9:27 PM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:27 PM

All replies

• I have no problems on my rig with it, I have lots of games that use it. New games use other technologies now.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 1:49 AM
  • yep...   win7x64 ran fine with it until a fresh install / update... this is with new installs....

and punkbuster is still a relevant issue... Battlefield Bad Company 2 was a major title just released with it.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:02 AM
  • I have not played that, been busy with other things. I wonder what is causing your Punkbuster to fail. I have a lot of games installed that use it, and I have not had problems.

I suggest removing it and then install it fresh from the newest game you have which is BC2.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:05 AM
  • per the first post... two clean os installs then steam ... bc2 and cod4 are on steam...  worked fine on new installs prior to 30 days ago.... everything else on the machine works fine... the pb services are no longer allowed...  they get 'marked for deletion'
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Check out with Punkbuster and see that they have to say.

There is definitely something not right.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:16 AM
  • windows is killing their service... they've got no answer... had a ticket going for a week now... win7 is marking it for deletion just like in the RC's
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:19 AM
  • I am using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and I have 18 games installed and many of them have Punkbuster and they are OK. On my site I maintail a link to the Microsoft Security Essentials, you might want to check you machine to make sure its clean.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:42 AM
  • I use MSSE also and these are clean installs

Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:56 PM
  • I wonder if PB is been marked as spyware. They have been under fire in the past. I will check it out, I am installing BC2 right now.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:00 PM
  • only hapenned to me after a fresh reinstall... was working fine with a fresh install on 3/4 then on 3/26 I reinstall and dead...  this installl no security essentials... still happens
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:45 PM
  • OK, Battlefront: Bad Company 2, installed fine. Play on single player, fine. Play on the server, fine.

I have to cut the game down as my video card is not exactly the latest/greatest but it seems to be working fine when I tried blasting a few bugs.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:48 PM
  • the spyware thing was interesting but didn't pan out, I:

- in defender, excluded \steam and \syswow64\pnkbstrA.exe and pnkbstrB.exe

- reboot

- ran pbsetup and pbsvc with successful tests

-verified both services were running in the service snap in

- started cod4 and got kicked with pnkbstrB.exe initialization failure

- checked services: pnkbstrB.exe disabled and 'marked for deletion'

it's like the pre RTM service ban of punkbuster has been reintroduced by some update that is coming down to only newly installed machines since 3/4

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:07 PM
  • Do you have anything else installed? Somthing is definitely affecting PB

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:09 PM
  • nope, we are talking completely clean as snow OS installs.. this current one doesn't even have security essentials...

I don't know a lot about third party services, but my feeling would be that there would be some serious system security to prevent an app from marking a service for deletion

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I do not have COD4 so I cannot help you with that title. Not enough disk space and not enough cash to buy them all.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:29 PM
  • happens the same way with BadCompany 2... any pb game

the only way I think you would recreate is a clean OS install.. if you do.... do it on a different partition / machine if you expect to play online anytime soon

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:31 PM
  • something is definitely up as BC2 works fine on my box and I have a boatload of software installed and after installing BC2 this AM, I now have 20 games installed.

Upload a few screen shots of any error messages to live's skydrive. The post the link back here.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:33 PM
  • I havent taken screenshots

- in COD4 or BC2  "[playername] kicked: pnkbstrB.exe initialization error"

- in the services snap in, pnkbstrB.exe is disabled... when attempting to change status you get a dialouge that says: "the specified service has been marked for deletion"

Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Can you make a screen shot and upload it to Skydrive and post a link back here please.

I need to see exactly what is going on.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:57 PM
  • http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6835/servicesnapin.jpg

the BC2 and COD4 disconnects are not easily snipable as they are full screen apps.... "[playername] kicked: pnkbstrB.exe initialization error"

I installed winxp mode / vrtual pc and PB works fine there.... I don't think we will solve this... I'd bet it's a disallowed service problem with win7 itself on new installs since Mar 4....

Sunday, April 04, 2010 8:29 PM
  • OK click on recovery. And set it failure to restart.

The print screen should still work, use 1 print screen, quit the game and open up paint to paste it in.

• Proposed as answer by Vegan FanaticMVP Sunday, April 04, 2010 9:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ANUoldman Sunday, April 04, 2010 9:20 PM
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 9:04 PM
  • you cant change any property of a service that's been disabled and marked for deletion... you get the "the specified service has been marked for deletion" dialoge

the screenshot of the PB kick message is moot... it says exactly what I posted previously  "[playername] kicked: pnkbstrB.exe initialization error"

Sunday, April 04, 2010 9:20 PM
  • bump... major re-edit of OP to better communicate the issue
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Use the admin tools in the contol panel, that might be a better route to change the settings.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 11:34 PM
  • the administrative console calls the services snap-in, which is what I'm using
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Check and see if there are any game patches available. I know BC2 has updated a few times already.

Monday, April 05, 2010 12:09 AM
  • Check and see if there are any game patches available. I know BC2 has updated a few times already.

Monday, April 05, 2010 12:09 AM
  • BC2 patches automatically via Steam, COD4 has been patched up for a year....
    Monday, April 05, 2010 12:17 AM
  • I know BC2 auto patches, but not sure about COD4, don't own that one, so I can only speak for BC2.

Monday, April 05, 2010 12:27 AM
  • to the point... they are both patched... but they aren't the issue... punkbuster isn't running
    Monday, April 05, 2010 12:52 AM
  • I have a registry cleaner tool I use called beclean, but its not for beginners as it can mess up a system.

http://www.boozet.org/beclean.htm

Clean only the registry, leave the other areas unchecked.

Monday, April 05, 2010 12:56 AM
  • On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 00:56:00 +0000, Vegan Fanatic wrote:

> I have a registry cleaner tool I use called beclean, but its not for beginners as it can mess up a system.

My advice is, beginner or not, avoid all registry cleaners. Here's my
    standard post on this subject:

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
    registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
    don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
    what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
    having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
    removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
    it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake
    Monday, April 05, 2010 1:15 AM
  • I agree Ken... registry cleaning is a practice I don't follow...

not pertinent in this problem also, as it's a fresh OS.... nothings been installed other than the apps in question.

Monday, April 05, 2010 2:15 AM
  • problem found:

for those concerned, if you are using Punkbuster with any game in Windows 7 including Call of Duty 4 (COD4) and Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BC2), and you are getting:
    -"[playername] kicked: pnkbstrB.exe initialization error" or
    -"losing key packets" or
    -when using Punkbuster, the pnkbstrB.exe service is 'Disabled' and "Marked for deletion'

I found that a common Microsoft tool software: Process Explorer by System Internals conflicts with Punkbuster causing the service to be stopped.
    This problem started when Process Explorer 12.xx was released in late March 2010 and is still broken. 
    All you have to do is run an earlier version, the most recent proved to be working correctly is 11.33

This brings up the important point that using ANY other software than the OS itself can lead to compatibility problems with PB

finally fixed

• Marked as answer by ANUoldman Monday, April 19, 2010 9:27 PM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:27 PM
  • I second that. It was Process Explorer. version 14.x. But upgraded to the current version, 15.02, and no problems with pubkuster.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:18 AM
  • I have done the same thing, but it did not fix the problem. instead of "Marked for deletion" it now says

"Windows was unable to open service PnkBstrB for reading on local computer. Error 1060 the specified service does not exist as an installed service"

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:55 PM