none
Windows Update error 8024402C

Question

•  

Hi

I had to restore my 3 month old laptop to factory condition because of some error that Windows said it just couldn't repair, not even restoring to a month earlier when there were no issues. Not Happy!!!!!

Now I am trying to check for updates via the Automatic updates and I keep getting the error code 8024402C.

I checked the windows help and it keeps telling me to check my firewall etc settings plus numerous other things (which I did). So I go to the Windows Firewall settings to try and allow the Microsoft site through (like Help tells me too) and I then get an error message for this as well.

"Due to unidentified problems, windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings"

This is just becoming a comedy of errors that is really putting me off Vista altogether. Disks are no longer supplied with systems because of the wonderful restore function, but there appears to be too many errors, and it has been suggested that the computer had a complete reformatting. Though I'm at the stage of wanting to go back to XP!!!!

can anyone help me fix the updating and firewall problems, before I either kill myself or this laptop!!!!

Thanks

Alison

Saturday, January 05, 2008 1:56 AM

All replies

• Just out of interest, have you installed Service Pack 1 for Vista in both instances where you've experienced issues?

Saturday, January 05, 2008 3:44 PM
  •  

Probably should have said that I also can't download from the Microsoft site, so I can even install SP1 to see if that fixes the problem.

I keep getting the message that I need to validate my copy of Vista. Which I have now done about 4 times. I even have an email that says " Thank you again for completing your Windows Vista registration." and it still wont validate it when I tried to download anything.  It sends me to an error page that says it can't display the page.

• The website is encountering problems.
  • There might be a typing error in the address

But since I am loading the page straight from the link of the page, one would hope the address was correct!!

I don't know what else to do.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 4:35 AM
  • Similar problem. After Vista SP1, and, after SP1-refresh: microsoft update not work: error: 0x80070002

WindowsUpdate is OK, but is Unable to update Office-2007 via MicrosoftUpdate.

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:43 PM
  • i have had the same problem with this error code.  my vista machine was running fine, checking and installing updates when needed.  but for the last 2 weeks, i've been getting this error code and the explanations and/or methods to resolve this issue have not worked. 

evidently there is something wrong and my computer cannot connect to update....i think.  i'm running norton 2008 and i have preferences set in my firewall to allow the update program to work (based on the fact that it all of sudden stopped updating).

my computer is for my personal use and not connected to some network at work.  i haven't the foggiest of what to do.

can somebody help restore my updating abilities and my sanity????

i'm running vista home edition basic.  if that helps.

thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by nsspnp Monday, July 18, 2011 7:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by nsspnp Monday, July 18, 2011 7:27 PM
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:30 PM