none
DNS Error Event 4015

Question

• Hi,

I have this DNS error on my Windows 2008 RODC, which continously logs on the Event Viewer.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DNS
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4015
    Date:  12/28/2008
    Time:  9:34:05 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: RODCWindows2008
    Description:
    The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "000006D9: SvcErr: DSID-03210A67, problem 5012 (DIR_ERROR), data 0". The event data contains the error.

I have ready this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909249 which explains about the error. But the hotfix is for windows 2003. There are no significant issues in the directory services, however recently I had a link failure on one of my branch offices.

Clients running XP SP3 and Vista SP1 were unable to login and authenticate with RODC though their passwords were stored on the sites RODC.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Azmie
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi There,

i would strongly feel that Read only DC configuration issue.

there might be some configuration which you might have missed during installation of AD

did you perform unattended mode to install AD ?

what is your architecture ?

can you replicate between servers ( if you have multiple 2008 DC ?)

sainath Windows Driver Development
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

However if I restart the DNS this works fine. I did not do any unattended installation. We have 16 servers 7 of them writable and the rest are RODCs. They are different VLANs and in two countries.

There is no issues with replication, it happens perfectly.

There are no errors on the events log, just this DNS errors.

On RODCs, primary DNS is self and the secondary DNS is a writable DC closed to it, as per physical toplogy.

The 16 servers are on one domain on windows 2008, and there is child domain with 40 DCs, 1 DC is the the primary DC on windows 2008 for the child domain others are mixed 2008 and 2003 R2 SP 2. Forest and Domain on 2003 functional level.

Any thoughts ?

Friday, January 2, 2009 10:03 AM
  • See this it may help you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/0a770724-4a9e-4aa9-a009-856ddfa32d80

Best regards Biswajit Biswas Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. MCP 2003,MCSA 2003, MCSA:M 2003, CCNA, MCTS, Enterprise Admin
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:08 AM