none
ERROR:"Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver"...

Question

• I am running Windows 7 32-bit 7100 build RC. I keep getting this error:"Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 181.72(which, Windows 7,will ONLY let me install and run with) stopped responding and has successfully recovered." 
    This is what my OS(Windows 7 32-bit)has posted in the bottom-right hand corner of my desktop,when Windows 7 backs me out of my game during this crash.
     It then has me click on the games icon on my task bar, then returns me to the exact time and spot --which I left from,when it crashed.
     BUT, there is a LARGE red "X" posted/displayed on my screen, prior to returning to the actual game. Then; I continue playing,until this occurs again. Which it keeps doing;but, sporatically. NOT in any given area, or time frame. 
            If someone has an idea/solution as to the actual workable repair/FIX to this error/problem, I would much appreciate it.
       P.S.: I am using the most "current" drivers for this operating system. And, I am NOT running with SLI mode "on".
                                                                                                                                                                    Ole' Joe  

Joseph Williamson
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 2:35 AM

Answers

• Joseph,

Have you tried using nVidia's new 185.85 drivers for Windows 7?
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by jaw69 Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:53 AM
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 3:47 PM
  • LuDo,
     I went back to the 32-bit version,due to not enough drivers supported for 64-bit. And, I found I ran much,much faster than I did with the 64-bit version. But, that was me. The drivers that Nvidia issues,when you "click" at the bottom where it says: let them find the video drivers,of what your system really needs(based on what OS your running at the time.) 
      Have done the trick. I've been running with what is most currently,the lastest video drivers' supported for Windows 7 32-bit, 7100 build;and, and have NO problems---EXCEPT.. I can't resize my desktop. Nvidia has YET to provide any solution whatsoever--to my "posted" problem on their web site, for that issue--AT their forum for Windows 7 problems.  I'm still "waiting.... 
                                                        So, I hope this helps you.
                                                             And, good-luck with the 64-bit version,I didn't have any real luck with that one.
                                                                                                                                                                                                 Peace,
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Ole' Joe

Joseph Williamson
    • Marked as answer by jaw69 Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:21 PM
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:21 PM
  • I'm,
    Running Windows 7, 32-bit, 7100 build. I am running Nvidias' most current driver(for me) 186.18;which, seems to be very stable. With the current patches for Windows 7, and this driver, I seem to be running without any problems---so far.
                                                                                                    Joe 
    Joseph Williamson

The above statement is my answer to this list of questioning.
    • Marked as answer by jaw69 Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:16 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:16 PM

All replies

• Joseph,

Have you tried using nVidia's new 185.85 drivers for Windows 7?
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by jaw69 Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:53 AM
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Alex,
     I thought I had;but, I'm in the process of downloading that driver you gave me a link to.  I have been getting Windows 7, (during install of video drivers) stating that the drivers I'm trying to install are not 32-bit(when, they are),or not drivers for Vista/Windows 7(which, they are..).
      So, I'll give these a shot once the download is complete, and see how this goes.
                                         Thanks for the quick reply,
                                                                                      Ole' Joe 
    Joseph Williamson
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 4:00 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with Windows 7 64 bit.
    But in my case the message is: Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 185.85 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This happens also when I'm not gaming.
    So, jaw69, has your problem been solved, and if yes, how?
    I did not have this problem with the Beta version of windows 7.

LuDo

Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:07 PM
  • LuDo,
     I went back to the 32-bit version,due to not enough drivers supported for 64-bit. And, I found I ran much,much faster than I did with the 64-bit version. But, that was me. The drivers that Nvidia issues,when you "click" at the bottom where it says: let them find the video drivers,of what your system really needs(based on what OS your running at the time.) 
      Have done the trick. I've been running with what is most currently,the lastest video drivers' supported for Windows 7 32-bit, 7100 build;and, and have NO problems---EXCEPT.. I can't resize my desktop. Nvidia has YET to provide any solution whatsoever--to my "posted" problem on their web site, for that issue--AT their forum for Windows 7 problems.  I'm still "waiting.... 
                                                        So, I hope this helps you.
                                                             And, good-luck with the 64-bit version,I didn't have any real luck with that one.
                                                                                                                                                                                                 Peace,
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Ole' Joe

Joseph Williamson
    • Marked as answer by jaw69 Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:21 PM
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Same here. (also Win7 - 185.85 driver)
    Has it been solved yet?
    Thanks
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:23 PM
  • I'm,
    Running Windows 7, 32-bit, 7100 build. I am running Nvidias' most current driver(for me) 186.18;which, seems to be very stable. With the current patches for Windows 7, and this driver, I seem to be running without any problems---so far.
                                                                                                    Joe 
    Joseph Williamson

The above statement is my answer to this list of questioning.
    • Marked as answer by jaw69 Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:16 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Hi Alex,

With Win7 RC 64bit build 7100, I still have this problem, even when using the Nvidia 186.08 driver now....
    So, may there be a solution to this problem?
    Or is my 8800GTS (320MB) too light for 64 bit?
    I did not have this problem with Win7 beta 64 bit (7000 build), and to tell you the truth, I had less problems with the 7000 build as with the RC now!

Ludo
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Or is my 8800GTS (320MB) too light for 64 bit?
    That 32-bit or 64-bit really doesn't say much about what it can and can't do. With that I mean that it's not really a performance hit to run 64-bit since this is related to how the memory is addressed and doesn't increase the workload as such on your GPU. Rather the other way around, actually. The applications can read and write larger chunks of data compared to if you'd use a 32-bit system.

If you have no specific reasons for not doing so it and your hardware supports it, you should run the 64-bit version.

Go here if you want to read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:58 PM
  • I have the same problem with Nvidia 186.16 driver and Windows 7 RC 64 bit. The display flickers off then returns the the same window with the error message that it stopped responding and has successfully recovered. This happened 3 times just trying to write this post. Very annoying.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:20 AM
  • I have the same problem with Nvidia 186.16 driver and Windows 7 RC 64 bit. The display flickers off then returns the the same window with the error message that it stopped responding and has successfully recovered. This happened 3 times just trying to write this post. Very annoying.
    I also upgraded to 186.16 version in the meantime and still have this problem with the RC 64 bit.

Is this a Nvidia problem or does it happen with the ATI cards too?

LuDo

Friday, July 24, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Same problem on a Dell XPS M1330, Vista 32bit Home Premium, NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 190.40. Problem not solved yet. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Hi all

I got this error too, using a Georce 9600GT on Windows7 64Bit

I tried the last official driver from Nvidia and the newest Betadriver too.
    Anyone solved the problem yet??

Greetings

Elegon
    Monday, August 03, 2009 4:27 PM
  • I have the same problem, I'm just running 64bit..
    i did only install Windows 7 because i have a problem with my windows vista home premium and that problem was the same, the error message there was called "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"
    i have tried old drivers and new drivers, but nothing works.
    i have a GeForce 8800 GT
    plz anyone must has found a solution..

greetings

Kong Vej
    Friday, August 07, 2009 2:16 PM
  • I had the exact same problem with my GTX 260 on Vista so i decided to install windows 7 and now I get the other problem. Though I only get this problem when I try to play Far Cry 2. other demanding games such as GTA IV and Crysis is working just fine..
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:07 PM
  • I also have a GTX 260 running on Win 7 64 bit and it only has the problem in Far Cry 2 and Assassin's Creed.  Many other games work just fine.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:50 PM
  • I have the same problem but so fare only when I try to start Race Driver GRID. Running Win 7 RTM 64 bit, GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB OC version enda Nvidia 190.62 driver.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:40 AM
  • Same exact error using Win 7 RC 7100. for my GTX 260 core 216. version 190.62 stopped responding and has recovered very annoying... Mine does it at random times. doesn't matter what I'm doing.. also tends to lock up the pc occasionally. Anyone have a solution yet?
    • Proposed as answer by dboy360 Sunday, October 11, 2009 10:58 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:00 PM
  • I had the same problem on MSI 790FX-GD70 - GTX 275 videocard, win7 switching between low power en full clocks if you use aero stuff - my solution: i locked the 3d clocks with msi overclockcenter but you can use also programs lik riva tuner - problem solved in my case

(also you can turn of aero)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Have the same problem with all off the nvidia drivers, in fact windows 7 responds very slow
    my gfx card is an 9800x2
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Hay I had the same problem as you for a few months, it was REALLY ANNOYING! I would be peacefully playing a game (eg: section 8, oblivion, sup com...) when my screen would go black, the desktop would come up, and 50% of the time the game would quit... :(  I tried various solutions like pulling a ram stick, but what finally fixed it for me was installing  the nvidea drivers 195.39 
    they apparently work on both vista and 7
    Hope this works for you arran

Update: F@#$ it! the dam thing came back,195.39  has reduced the errors but me and a friend tried crysis and there it was! (is this thing the equivalent of computer herpes? )
    Plus im kinda bummed out kuz I thought it wouldn't be a problem any more.. :(

• Edited by Gibbles Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:22 AM
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 10:15 PM
  • It has nothing to do with the nvidia drivers, i have 195.39 also and if i dont lock 3d clocks i still get the error, waiting for a fix from microsoft ...
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 10:56 PM
  • First of all, let me say one thing: The issue you've experienced has nothing to do with drivers, or OS...

I've had the same problem, while using Win7 32-bit, and 9800GT, and ALL drivers you've mentioned....So, I decided to go back to XP, hoping that would solve my issue...

Nope, still the same problem, only this time I don't get any crashes, games just freeze, and I have to restart my system....So anyways, before you go on discussing software problems on this thread for next 6 months, I recommend you ask yourselves one simple questin:

"Could it be something wrong with the hardware?"

Thank you, and good night.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Well mr ImBritishYouMuppet, what's strange is that games like Colin McRae Dirt works fine and this is a Codemaster game as well that uses much of the same technology as Grid. But for me Grid dosen't work. In that case I think it's a little strange that it should be a hardware problem...

I need to try the last Nvidia divers...

Sleep well mr :-)
    Friday, November 20, 2009 11:40 AM
  • Hi all.

i just baught this new PC less than a week ago from PC world. its got Windows 7 64bit Premium. and i installed 195.39. and i keep getting the same error as u lot. now i dont think it could be a hardware problem coz its a brand spankin new pc straight out the box.

so im just wondering if its a problem with Windows 7 that needs up dating. or the Nvidia drivers need updating? im not sure not a comp expert.

cheers.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Good Morning All,

I had this problem several weeks ago, right before upgrading to Windows 7.  So when it started, I was running Vista Home Premium.  I was hoping that the upgrade would fix the problem but alas, as soon as I got up and running, it resurfaced.  (I went with 7 Ulitmate 64)  Same issues mentioned above, freezing, displays flickering.  I tried every driver I could find, beta or not and none worked...okay maybe not every one but at least 7 or 8...the original one, the newest one, ones in between.  None worked. 

So.....I pulled the graphics card and put the old one back in.  (I had side-graded because I needed VGA and DVI and the factory card had DVI and HDMI).  Since then, the system has worked flawlessly.

This leads me to believe that this is a symptom of the card going bad. 

I'm just saying.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:20 PM
  • I also don't think it is a hardware problem.
    On my pc I have dual boot with vista 32bit and W7 RC 64 bit and latest drivers installed.
    Working with Vista 32bit I have no problems at all, but with W7 64 bit my pc crashes or the program freezes all the time. Also when not gaming the display driver resets regularly.

So in my opinion there are the following possibilities for the problem:
    1. Nvidia drivers for Windows 7 64bit are still bad
    2. Windows7 64bit needs a fix for display drivers.

Now I ask myself: when working with an ATI videocard, do the same problems happen?

And: Do these problems happen with the RC only, or also with the official Windows7?

• Proposed as answer by Cyclopes Friday, November 27, 2009 11:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:03 PM
    On my pc I have dual boot with vista 32bit and W7 RC 64 bit and latest drivers installed.
    Working with Vista 32bit I have no problems at all, but with W7 64 bit my pc crashes or the program freezes all the time. Also when not gaming the display driver resets regularly.

Now I ask myself: when working with an ATI videocard, do the same problems happen?

And: Do these problems happen with the RC only, or also with the official Windows7?

I have Win 7 RTM (official version) 64 bit so that's not the problem....
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:06 AM
  • aNy UPdate on this guys ?

My windows 7 -32bit was working for 2 months , i was playing game and stuff no problem ,, yesterday i get this error kernal mode bla bla with 191.07, so i upgraded to 195.55, same issue, i had to disable the video card in device manager for me be able to post this online.

So what changed that it just started crashing, i didnt changed anything, and i know that these 2 are compatible as they were running for 2 months no problem.

i have 8800 GTS, and windows 7 (retail version).

Any driver i run giving me issue. I let windows fine it driver and same problem , not that i have disabled the video card, i can surf net wastch video, but cant play game(cod4, mw2)

Please help
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:17 PM
  • In Addition,

Even though i have nvidia display adaptor disable in device manager, i can use computer no problem (except games), it shows flickering vertical red lines on monitor randomly, not all the time,, once ,twice in 5 minuite for 1 sec..

I am wondering if its a hardware issue with the card :( ?
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Hi MrACE-VD- .

I also have the 8800 GTS, a 320 MB OC(Over clocked from factory) version. I start to wonder if the OC could be the problem... What's bother me is that I tried Colin McRae Dirt also a Codemasters game and that work just fine. But GRID that should build on the same engine dosen't.

Your flickering lines sounds like hardware problems I'm afraid...
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:10 PM

I have Win 7 RTM (official version) 64 bit so that's not the problem....

Well guys, in the meantime I also have Win7 64 bit official version.
    Also I bought 4 GB of RAM extra, now 8 GB installed.
    AND I bought A new ATI Radeon HD5750 Saphire graphics card with 1 GB memory and latest drivers.

My system with Intel core 2 duo E6600 is more stable now, but GUESS:

I still have the same f.....g problem!!!!!

Who has a guess may tell me!
    I start to think it is Windows 7!

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Hey dudes!

I have the same problems! ;) Since i have done an Nvidia driver Update in Windows Vista 32-bit. After the installation this error message occured. Then sometimes i get blue screens or the display freezes.
    Then i thought i get Windows 7 Professional 32-bit...which i did. When the display driver of Nvidia finished installing i get the same error messages. I tried several drivers even the newest WHQL driver. The same problem happens with ATI Cards!
    Does anybody have a clue what this problem is? What is kernel mode? I asked NVIDIA AND MY F....NG ASUS support.....they have no clue of anything. I believe to think, that this update in Vista screwed my graficcard.

BTW: NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT 1GB

Sorry for my bad english ;)

Monday, December 28, 2009 5:37 PM
  • HI ALL

ANY SOLUTION YET???

HAVING SAME PROBLEM SINCE I UPGRADED TO W7-32B FROM XP (WHERE EVERYTHING WAS SMOOTH), AND READING ALL POSTS UP, I COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT IT IS W7 COMPATABILITY ISSUE. CAN YOU PLEASE MICROSOFT WAKE UP AND SOLVE THIS PROBLEM???

Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:24 AM
  • "HI ALL

ANY SOLUTION YET???

HAVING SAME PROBLEM SINCE I UPGRADED TO W7-32B FROM XP (WHERE EVERYTHING WAS SMOOTH), AND READING ALL POSTS UP, I COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT IT IS W7 COMPATABILITY ISSUE. CAN YOU PLEASE MICROSOFT WAKE UP AND SOLVE THIS PROBLEM???"

Nice bump.. hehe

First of all guys, do you sweep the old drivers before installing the new?
    There are a couple of good freeware applications that can help you out: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29-download-1655.html

Make sure you follow the instructions and completely wipe the old drivers.

Also, turn off all bling-bling just to make sure that it's not some cool-to-have-but-oh-so-unnecessary-gadget isn't messing with you. No matter what they say, third party stuff are sometimes awfully badly coded.

Turn off Aero and all the other stuff just to make sure. Especially if your card is on the lower end of the scale.

Turn off all power saving features to rule them out.

I shouldn't really need to mention this, but if you OC'd the GPU.. Turn it back to vanilla settings. Goes without saying. (Same goes for the CPU).
    This include Clock cycles.. stepping.. Voltage e t c.

Check so that the game/application/whatever is atleast Vista certified. XP versions has caused very few problems for me, but the 64-bit support on the XP-platform was documented bad. Forget using old Partitions Magic and so on. They will mess upp your Win7 installation.

Install a proper dist of the driver (not a hacked one). If you can't install the official release without hacking the inf-file, then you have found the problem.
    This is very common for the M-drivers (mobile/laptop) to get them to install on officially unsupported cards. No modified drivers, ok? ok.

Try the above first and come back if the problem persists. Oh, please, for you own sake TRY IT! Just don't lie and say "But I have".

PS. If you have installed the mother of all codec packs, e.g. 200 Mb of obscure codecs just to run R5-releases.. then there is a very good chance that they are messing up especially your game. Get rid of them at the same time as you wipe the old drivers.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:45 PM

• First of all guys, do you sweep the old drivers before installing the new?
    There are a couple of good freeware applications that can help you out: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29-download-1655.html

Thanks for your comprehensive answer. I did your suggested first step and so far it works fine.
    I"ll see in the coming week how it works, and post it.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Nice bump.. hehe

First of all guys, do you sweep the old drivers before installing the new?

Also, turn off all bling-bling just to make sure that it's not some cool-to-have-but-oh-so-unnecessary-gadget isn't messing with you. No matter what they say, third party stuff are sometimes awfully badly coded.

Turn off Aero and all the other stuff just to make sure. Especially if your card is on the lower end of the scale.

Turn off all power saving features to rule them out.

I shouldn't really need to mention this, but if you OC'd the GPU.. Turn it back to vanilla settings. Goes without saying. (Same goes for the CPU).
    This include Clock cycles.. stepping.. Voltage e t c.

Check so that the game/application/whatever is atleast Vista certified. XP versions has caused very few problems for me, but the 64-bit support on the XP-platform was documented bad. Forget using old Partitions Magic and so on. They will mess upp your Win7 installation.

Install a proper dist of the driver (not a hacked one). If you can't install the official release without hacking the inf-file, then you have found the problem.
    This is very common for the M-drivers (mobile/laptop) to get them to install on officially unsupported cards. No modified drivers, ok? ok.

Try the above first and come back if the problem persists. Oh, please, for you own sake TRY IT! Just don't lie and say "But I have".

PS. If you have installed the mother of all codec packs, e.g. 200 Mb of obscure codecs just to run R5-releases.. then there is a very good chance that they are messing up especially your game. Get rid of them at the same time as you wipe the old drivers.

Well guys, this is what I did:
    At first I thought it might be a hardware problem and replaced my NVIDIA graphics card for an ATI HD5750 and bought 4 gig RAM extra (now 8 gig installed)
    When that did not help I also replaced my 400W powerunit for a 600W.

As I still had the same problem, restart of the kernaldrivers from the graphics card, I followed the above by a Microsoft-nerd given advice, TO THE LETTER. Also switched off Aero and installed the latest drivers from ATI website.

Now guess:

No change, the problem still excists and the game (like ANNO 1404) stops and I have to reload the latest save.

I really get pissed now, what is the problem?
    I have a new graphics card, though not the most expensive, but good enough I think, plenty of RAM and power.
    Further an Intel core 2 duo E6600 (2*2.4) processor.
    latest drivers, clean installed.
    Windows7 Home Premiun 64 bit with latest updates.

WHO HAS A CLUE?? PSE MICROSOFT, YOUR ADVICE!

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Well I have had this problem all through the RC and used every version of the nvidia drivers that came out during that time (three different releases I think).  I just did a total clean install to Windows 7 Home Premium on Sunday. Since I figured it was high time and M$ sent me a 'gentle' reminder that the RC was going to be expiring soon.  The windows update grabbed the driver from 1/11/2010 (not sure the version number). 

Guess what.... I have gotten this error twice so far.  It doesn't seem to happen when I'm playing games (I'd be really hacked off if so since I mostly play online stuff) it happened while I was managing files and once while listening to media player.  This is getting extremely frustrating.  Somehow I think I shouldn't have any straggling driver issues from a clean install M$.  So what is the issue with my system still doing it? 

I see that a newer dated driver for 1/19/2010 is on the nvidia site, but TBH I don't see any point in getting it given that the problem has surfaced two days after a clean install of windows (without " all bling-bling just to make sure that it's not some cool-to-have-but-oh-so-unnecessary-gadget isn't messing with you. No matter what they say, third party stuff are sometimes awfully badly coded").  With this problem I'm getting the impression that first-party software (read Microsoft Win7) is also poorly coded or nvidia has the blame. 

C'mon guys it's easy to say that the OS is still in testing and that you are dealing with beta drivers, but really, it's late in the game now to be the case.  I for one would like a solution.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:20 PM
  • *bump*

Any news on this error?

Cheers
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Hi!

No news sofar:(

Microsoft apparently does not have a clue!!
    Monday, March 01, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Well guys, this is what I did:
    At first I thought it might be a hardware problem and replaced my NVIDIA graphics card for an ATI HD5750 and bought 4 gig RAM extra (now 8 gig installed)

As I still had the same problem, restart of the kernaldrivers from the graphics card, I followed the above by a Microsoft-nerd given advice, TO THE LETTER. Also switched off Aero and installed the latest drivers from ATI website.

Now guess:

No change, the problem still excists and the game (like ANNO 1404) stops and I have to reload the latest save.

I have a new graphics card, though not the most expensive, but good enough I think, plenty of RAM and power.

Hehe :)  The first time I've been called a Microsoft-nerd.

This seems to be a useful link so try it:
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkm

Some of it does require some knowledge on how to change settings in BIOS.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Well I have had this problem all through the RC and used every version of the nvidia drivers that came out during that time (three different releases I think).  I just did a total clean install to Windows 7 Home Premium on Sunday. Since I figured it was high time and M$ sent me a 'gentle' reminder that the RC was going to be expiring soon.  The windows update grabbed the driver from 1/11/2010 (not sure the version number). 

Guess what.... I have gotten this error twice so far.  It doesn't seem to happen when I'm playing games (I'd be really hacked off if so since I mostly play online stuff) it happened while I was managing files and once while listening to media player.  This is getting extremely frustrating.  Somehow I think I shouldn't have any straggling driver issues from a clean install M$.  So what is the issue with my system still doing it? 

I see that a newer dated driver for 1/19/2010 is on the nvidia site, but TBH I don't see any point in getting it given that the problem has surfaced two days after a clean install of windows (without " all bling-bling just to make sure that it's not some cool-to-have-but-oh-so-unnecessary-gadget isn't messing with you. No matter what they say, third party stuff are sometimes awfully badly coded").  With this problem I'm getting the impression that first-party software (read Microsoft Win7) is also poorly coded or nvidia has the blame. 

C'mon guys it's easy to say that the OS is still in testing and that you are dealing with beta drivers, but really, it's late in the game now to be the case.  I for one would like a solution.

No matter what the issue is derived from, it must be a combination that you are unlucky to have.
    Main board + GPU, Main board + GPU + RAM e t c that confuses the drivers and/or the OS.

I'd say this is on NVidias plate to fix.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:35 AM
  • I just got an HP Pavillion 180 with Windows 7 64 bit- getting same kind of error right from out of the box... haven't played any games.  Haven't even used it. 

Screen goes black for a few seconds and then I get the error message as a bubble down in the lower right corner.  Driver is 187.47

This is a computer that HP replaced because my other one Vista 64-bit  9600- had a motherboard issue that took months for them to own up on. 
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 1:09 PM
  • im dealing with the same thing  when i go to  play an mmorpg  it shuts me down back to the desktop , then saying nvidia display driver  windows kernal mode driver 196.21 has a error but succussvly fixed itself !   i have win7 32bit   nvidia graphics card 9600gt   my drivers say im upto date on them . im starting to think its the windows7  microsoft  has really been fudging up on there latest stuff , the best one  i like was windows xp the rest stunk!

Anyways im just hoping this can be fixed soon . its starting to get very annoying !

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Well guys, this is what I did:

Now guess:

Hehe :)  The first time I've been called a Microsoft-nerd.

As we concluded, it's NOT a Nvidia problem, because my ATI card gives the same error!

I checked above site and did an extended MEMTEST at startup (4 hours), result: no errors, so memory is ok.

So, my guess is now indeed that it must be a combination of Main board + GPU, Main board + GPU + RAM e t c that confuses the drivers and/or the OS, as azynkron suggests.

This happens to me on an irragular base: sometimes within 10 min, sometimes after an hour and a half, but always when my system is stressed in a game. It is not just the GPU, because it still happens now, even after installing a new ATI HD5870 last week. (My 5750 has been checked by the vendor and found OK)

I'm affraid I may need a new Main board with processor (and memory)....

ANYBODY WITH ANOTHER (CHEAPER) SUGGESTION?

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:00 PM
  • My August Sirs,

I am sending this mistiff from Safe Mode as it is the only configuration on my Win-7 64, 8800 GTS which currently alows time for the telling.  I have the same problem only I am using Version 196.21.

I think we have a virus.

I had no trouble for three months after installing my 64 bit version of windows.  Saterday (3-27-10) however, bored with COH, I downloaded a shooter from one of the 'Free Game' sites.  The shooter was ____ btw.  On the next boot I experienced pixilation of desktop, freeze of application and windows, and collaps to blackscreen with auto boot.

I have run a full scan with Windows Essentials, no joy.  I can not update the virus files for Essentials btw.  I reloaded the nVidia drivers and DirectX-10.  No joy.  I have issued unprintiable oaths emphatically.  Does no good what so ever.                                      

Have the nVidia drivers become so popular that they are attacting viruses?

Regards,

Eric Tirrell

Monday, March 29, 2010 8:17 PM

• Hehe :)  The first time I've been called a Microsoft-nerd.

My August Sirs,

I also found the thread recomended very useful.  However it gave me pause to wonder why so many error states have only one error message. 

I have just one word to say to you... Malware.

Regards,

Eric Tirrell

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:10 PM