none
Visual C++ Redist 2017 upgrades Visual C++ 2015 Redist - Breaking some\many packages RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

As many of us might know, Microsoft has changed the way VC++ Redistributables are delivered since C++ 2017 (14.10 / 14.16), it replaces C++ 2015 (14.0). This is causing issues in our environment. Here is the summary of events:

We had VC++ 2015 and other older VC++ present in our environment.

Now, Citrix workspace 1904 was deployed which also installed VC++ 2017 on the computers.

If a package is installed on demand which requires VC++ 2015 (perhaps hard-coded logic in the software or package) fails with missing VC++ 2015 error.

To fix this, it is being suggested to uninstall VC++ 2017 and then install the software in question and put back VC++ 2017. i.e. Uninstall VS 2017 >> install VS 2015 (success) >> reinstall VS 2017

This works on a one on one basis.

But we are not able to find a graceful way to do it on an enterprise level. and this issue might keep re-occurring as there are those packages (not sure how many) in production and can be requested on demand every now and then. If it's already rolled out before VC++ 2017 came on those machines it is not an issue but the installation which might come up will make the situation chaotic. 

Also the newer softwares which we are deploying are shipping VC++ 2017 as well.

Would appreciate any suggestions what would be the best way to handle this situation. Also what should we keep in mind for future releases of VC++ as i see that the build no keeps changing very often for VC++ 2017.

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by Karsjees Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:35 PM edit
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:35 PM

All replies

• None of this has anything to do with ConfigMgr and should be addressed in a Visual C++ specific forum since that is what is causing the issue.

You can easily script the above though and run that in an Application or package in ConfigMgr.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:29 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Jason, we can try to put a script that automates this task into a package and then use SCCM to deploy the package to the target computer to execute it.

For your second question"Also what should we keep in mind for future releases of VC++ as i see that the build no keeps changing very often for VC++ 2017", I suggest you try to submit a question in this forum below:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/post.html?space=62

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going? I just checked in to see if there are any updates. Please feel free to feedback and if the above reply is helpful, please kindly click “Mark as answer”. It would make the reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar question.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

I have only come across this with one app which was Adobe reader (which has a public property you can set to ignore the redist check on install)

You probably want to install the latest version of the runtime. Citrix will only install the 2017 version of the redist if you are running an older version.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

If you install the 2015-2019 release then citrix will not install the 2017 version as it has what it already requires. There is probably a newer version of the below.

Richard Knight | Collection Refresh Manager | Automate detection rules for patch \ msp files | Twitter

Monday, November 25, 2019 6:35 PM