none
Can't install Windows 7 RC - Intel 82801ER SATA RAID Controller

Question

• I'm trying to install 7RC on a Dell Gen 2 3.2GHz P4 running XP Pro.  The reported chipset is Intel 875P.  Installation gets me as far as a screen that shows my 2 HD's and their partitions.  I get 'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows needs the driver device [Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller].  Click 'Load Driver' and load the required device driver'.  Well, first of all I think that I'd like to make drive 0 one partition - I'm not sure why there is a 39MB (38MB free) Fat32 OEM reserved partion as partion 1.  The other partition is Drive 0 Partition 2 C: 111.7GB 52.4GB Free System.  After that, it says I need to load a driver.  The Win 7 Upgrade Advisor says the I have an Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller, and that it's compatible, but if that is true I would think that the install could proceed.  I've no idea what the difference may or may not be between the ER and EB, but I can't get past this point.  I searched the web looking for a 82801ER SATA RAID Controller driver to no avail.  I'm not sure how I'd try to load it during the installation if I did have it unless I can swap out the install iso dvd with a driver cd and then put the install dvd back in the drive. By the way, I'm not trying to do a RAID array, I just have two drives.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:22 AM

Answers

• Well! that was interesting.  First, I'm sorry, but I was unfamiliar with the bios setup.  I was able to turn SATA RAID off and select automatic for SATA primary and SATA secondary.  The 'RAID for serial ATA - Raid bios message did not flash on the screen at boot.  The drives were recognized and booted.  WIN 7 is proceeding with the installation on Drive 0 Partition 2.  We are at 25% and climbing - I hope.  Thank you.  It appears that the bios settings for the drive configuration got me past the driver issue!  I would never have considered going there without your prompting to do so.  Thanks again.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:39 AM

All replies

• triedandfried,

The Ultra ATA controller is different from the SATA RAID controller.

Yes, you can switch out the disk when you need a driver.

Try finding the driver here. Just choose the Windows Vista driver for whichever version of Windows 7 you are installing (32 bit or 64).
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:31 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you very much for the reply.  I'm still confused.  The Advisor says I have an 82801EB, but the install program wants me to provide drivers for the ER suffix version.  I download a shareware program CPUID which agrees with the Advisor that I have an 82801EB (ICH5).  The Advisor indicates that it's compatible with the EB.  When I first got this PC it had a single HD.  I added the second drive, but not in a RAID configuration.  So, if in fact I have the EB, I would expect the installer to recognize it, load drivers and be on its way to a happy installation.  The site you provided, and thanks again, had ER version drivers, but they seemed specific to ICH6 and not ICH5 - I don't know what difference that would make, but I don't want to brick the PC.  I also found an updater on the Intel site for what seemed to be the 82801EB ICH5 with 875P chipset.  The update said it was for both XP and Vista32.  Of course it was an install program and not a specific driver, so when I ran it I assume it installed and updated XP version.  A specific 32bit Vista driver for the 82801EB ICH5 with 875P just doesn't seem to hanging out there by itself.  It's the chicken and egg thing. I can't get the right driver installed without having the OS installed.  It still bothers me that the install program wants the 82801ER SATA RAID controller driver.  To add to the confusion, when I first boot the PC - for a second - there is a message that says "Intel(R) RAID for serial ATA - RAID Bios v3.5.0.2568" that flashed on the screen.  But honest, the drives are not in RAID.  I could go through the trouble of yanking the second drive out and then see what happens, but that doesn't seem like it should be necessary.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:58 AM
  • triedandfried,

What happens when you disable the RAID functions in the BIOS?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:01 AM
    Answerer
  • The Bios setup give me the option to turn SATA RAID off or on. It was on.  When I turn it off, SATA primary drive, SATA secondary drive are off without an option to turn them on.  The bios also shows Primary Master Drive off and Primary Slave Drive off - they cannont be toggled on regardless of the SATA RAID being on or off.  With the SATA RAID turned off, the machine will not find a drive to boot from. 
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Triedandfried

Then you will need the appropriate SATA driver for the install.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Well! that was interesting.  First, I'm sorry, but I was unfamiliar with the bios setup.  I was able to turn SATA RAID off and select automatic for SATA primary and SATA secondary.  The 'RAID for serial ATA - Raid bios message did not flash on the screen at boot.  The drives were recognized and booted.  WIN 7 is proceeding with the installation on Drive 0 Partition 2.  We are at 25% and climbing - I hope.  Thank you.  It appears that the bios settings for the drive configuration got me past the driver issue!  I would never have considered going there without your prompting to do so.  Thanks again.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Excellent, I'm glad you've past that point. Let us know if you have any further problems.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:46 PM
    Answerer
  • The "EB" suffix is the IDE controller. The "ER" suffix is for the RAID controller. I have the same chipset with the same problem. It looks as though Intel has not provided and doesn't intend to provide Microsoft with an ICH5 chipset (82801ER SATA RAID controller) driver for Windows 7. Therefore, apparently there will be no support for our chipset with Windows 7
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:43 AM