none
win 7 desktop icons RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me why all of a sudden my desktop icons do not display properly? I can get them to display properly if I change my screen resolution but they do not stay fixed after a restart or reboot. I only get part of the icon with a transparent square in the lower left of the icon. If I change to small icons I don't get anything at all. I tried system restore that didn't help. The problem seems to have started after an automatic windows update. I wish I could upload a picture here so you could see what I am talkiing about. Any way I've done a lot of reading and searching but as yet have not found a fix for the problem.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:44 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Try to test the the problem in a new account:

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel.
    2. Click User Accounts->User Accounts.
    3. Click "Manager another account" and click "Create a new account".
    4. Input the user name, select "Computer administrator" as the desired account type, and then click "Create Account".
    5. Restart your computer and log on as the new created user account.

If the problem still happens, try to reinstall the display card driver:

1. Click Start Menu, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2. Double click to expand " Display adapters".
    3. Right click your sound card and click "Uninstall".
    4. Restart the computer.
    5. Reinstall the display card driver.

Thomas77
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:48 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you were trying to remove the Arrow from Icon shortcuts. Download and run Ultimete Windows Tweaker .

Click on Additional Tweaks then try checking Remove arrows from shortcut Icons then click Apply then OK. Close the progrtam, reboot and see what happens.
    Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    Monday, March 1, 2010 3:41 AM
  • Hello,

Try to test the the problem in a new account:

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel.
    2. Click User Accounts->User Accounts.
    3. Click "Manager another account" and click "Create a new account".
    4. Input the user name, select "Computer administrator" as the desired account type, and then click "Create Account".
    5. Restart your computer and log on as the new created user account.

If the problem still happens, try to reinstall the display card driver:

1. Click Start Menu, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2. Double click to expand " Display adapters".
    3. Right click your sound card and click "Uninstall".
    4. Restart the computer.
    5. Reinstall the display card driver.

Thomas77
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:48 AM