none
Email down, OWA,ECP inaccessible RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I would like to seek assistance regarding our exchange servers, currently we have the following setup below:

We have 2 different Site. Site A and Site B. In site A I have 2 exchange server exmb01 and exmb02, in site b we have exmb03

site b exmb03 was just recently deployed.

we tried testing if database will mount to exmb03.

testing done:

1.shutdown exmb01 and exmb02.

after shutting down exmb01 and exmb02 ecp,owa was inaccessible and email is down. users in site b is unable to connect to the email server. we are also encountering error upon creating new profile see attached screenshot.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:36 AM

All replies

• we clicked yes and after several minutes. we receive this error

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:52 AM
  • Hi,

We helped you cover your domain name and email address in your images. Please pay attention to remove your personal information next time.

Do you mean you have a DAG with 3 Exchange server members?

Only when half the members (rounding down) plus are operational and communicative, the DAG can work well. Since you have three DAG members, two Exchange servers must be up. If two servers are offline, the DAG loses quorum, and service and data access will be disrupted until you resolve the problem. You can check this to know more: Database availability group quorum models

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

We helped you cover your domain name and email address in your images. Please pay attention to remove your personal information next time.

Do you mean you have a DAG with 3 Exchange server members?

Only when half the members (rounding down) plus are operational and communicative, the DAG can work well. Since you have three DAG members, two Exchange servers must be up. If two servers are offline, the DAG loses quorum, and service and data access will be disrupted until you resolve the problem. You can check this to know more: Database availability group quorum models

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Hi Lydia,

Yes that is correct I have a DAG with 3 members 2 in the primary data center and 1 in the DR center. On this setup, what if we manually activate the database in exmb03 in DR site then we shutdown the 2 exchange server in primary site exmb1 and 2. Will my database automatically dismounted? Thank you also for covering our domain name, my apologies.

Also, after shutting down exmb01 and exmb02 ecp,owa was inaccessible. even though their virtual directories are configured the same.

• Edited by danpaolo Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:25 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:24 AM
  • Hello,

Could you explain how is your naming is ?

check there is needed:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Exchange-Team-Blog/Namespace-Planning-in-Exchange-2016/ba-p/604072

and what is your certificate too ? 

you can change value and use contoso.com

Olivier.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:15 AM
  • Hello,

Could you explain how is your naming is ?

check there is needed:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Exchange-Team-Blog/Namespace-Planning-in-Exchange-2016/ba-p/604072

and what is your certificate too ? 

you can change value and use contoso.com

Olivier.

Hi Oliver,

Base on the link you have provided, We have an unbound model.

I have a single DAG deployed across our 2 data center. site a and site b. I have 3 exchange server 2 in site a and 1 in site b.

We have unified namespaces

outlook anywhere - mail.contoso.com (internal and external)

virtual directories (Internal and External)

mail.contoso.com/ecp

mail.contoso.com/oab

mail.contoso.com/owa

mail.contoso.com/ews

mail.contoso.com/mapi

mail.contoso.com/powershell

Autodiscover SCP - https://autodiscover.contoso.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml

DNS Records:

3 A record for each exchange server which contain their internal ip address.

Certificate:

Wild card SSL

Thanks!

• Edited by danpaolo Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:50 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:49 PM
  • There is somethink strange, on your first picture, we saw a local name (itsrvmbx...local)

then, its probably because a miss configuration of your naming space.

but as Lydia Zhou said, you need to have the same number of node on your DR (2 - 2 )

when 2 node are down, the quorom is lost

Olivier

Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:02 PM
  • There is somethink strange, on your first picture, we saw a local name (itsrvmbx...local)

then, its probably because a miss configuration of your naming space.

but as Lydia Zhou said, you need to have the same number of node on your DR (2 - 2 )

when 2 node are down, the quorom is lost

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

On what part of my configuration? is it my DNS A record or my autodiscover SCP?

With regards to the count of servers. How about if I activate the database first on exmb 3 in site b then shutdown both exmb 1 and exmb2 in site a? will the database stay mounted?

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi All,

please help me on the encountered issue when we shutdown our Primary site servers and dr site server up.

issue encountered: ECP and owa inaccessible.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Hello,

On DR, your Database are dismount right ?

With this certificate error, it seem taht your DR URL are not configured correctly

Olivier

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:18 AM
  • As is mentioned above, if 2 member servers are offline in your organization, the DAG loses quorum, and service and data access will be disrupted.

If you want to test the configuration and client connectivity of exmb03, you can active database copies on exmb03,  and don't have to shutdown exmb01 and exmb02 at the same time. 

Additionally, here is an article about Switchovers and failovers, hope you can get useful information from it.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:26 PM
  • As is mentioned above, if 2 member servers are offline in your organization, the DAG loses quorum, and service and data access will be disrupted.

If you want to test the configuration and client connectivity of exmb03, you can active database copies on exmb03,  and don't have to shutdown exmb01 and exmb02 at the same time. 

Additionally, here is an article about Switchovers and failovers, hope you can get useful information from it.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Hi Daisy,

Is ecp and owa affected also when DAG loses quorom? Yes thats exactly what i want to test the configs and connectivity of exmb03.hoe about if i shutdown 1 server only specifically exmb01 then activate database on exmb3.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:15 AM
  • Hello,

On DR, your Database are dismount right ?

With this certificate error, it seem taht your DR URL are not configured correctly

Olivier

We are able to resolve the cetificate error by manually adding the mail.contoso.com in the host filr of the desktop.is this the same on addidng mail.constoso.com a record on dns management?
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Only shutting down one DAG member won't lose quorum. Actually, you just need to active database copies on exmb03, and make mail.domain.com only points to exmb03 to check exm03 configuration.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:07 PM
  • Only shutting down one DAG member won't lose quorum. Actually, you just need to active database copies on exmb03, and make mail.domain.com only points to exmb03 to check exm03 configuration.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Hi Lydia,

problem is that when I shutdown my exmb1 and exmb2 consecutively, database copies becomes unknown and cant be manually activate and a few minutes ecp will become not accessible also.

Thank you.

Monday, November 25, 2019 12:55 AM
  • Two of your DAG members must be up to make sure your DAG can work normally. You cannot shutdown two server members! Otherwise the DAG will lose quorum, and users cannot connect to Exchange for services and data. Your issue should be caused by shutting down 2 servers.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:18 AM
  • Two of your DAG members must be up to make sure your DAG can work normally. You cannot shutdown two server members! Otherwise the DAG will lose quorum, and users cannot connect to Exchange for services and data. Your issue should be caused by shutting down 2 servers.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Hi lydia,

Even ecp?

Thanks.

Regards,

Pao

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 3:28 PM
  • Yes, all features cannot work normally. So you have to keep at least two member servers up to make sure your DAG can work.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, November 29, 2019 1:02 AM
  • Yes, all features cannot work normally. So you have to keep at least two member servers up to make sure your DAG can work.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Hi lydia,

Im a bit confuse, ecp is the one used to manage this dag how is that even possible though.i also tried accessing ecp locally on the remaining 1 server exmb3

Friday, November 29, 2019 2:42 AM
  • If EAC/ECP is not available, you can use EMS to manage your DAG. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:11 AM
  • If EAC/ECP is not available, you can use EMS to manage your DAG. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Hi Lydia,

How can I bring back my EAC/ECP on this kind of scenario. Thank you.

Saturday, December 7, 2019 2:28 AM