none
windows 7 wont boot RRS feed

• Question

• after replacing the motherboard windows 7 will not boot, after running the repair module it still wont boot and tells me i need to remove the new hardware and try again, this is impossible, I have tried restoring windows from a backup image which did not work, I have run the boot repair console many times to no avail, I have gone through the process of fixboot and rebuild BCD all to no avail I cannot install new drivers if I cannot get windows to boot, I believe this is a defect in Windows 7 and I refuse to pay Microsoft $45 for them to tell me how to fix a problem that I should not even be having, why cant I upgrade my computer without haveing to reinstall a new copy of windows.

Jim Lee (email address redacted)

Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:56 AM

Answers

• Unless you replaced the MB with an identical make/model you will need to install it fresh.

If you have another HD handy, install Windows on that and then recover any files you have.

Then you can install Windows from scratch.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:19 AM
  • On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 02:56:51 +0000, jimbird wrote:

after replacing the motherboard windows 7 will not boot, after running the repair module it still wont boot and tells me i need to remove the new hardware and try again, this is impossible, I have tried restoring windows from a backup image which did not work, I have run the boot repair console many times to no avail, I have gone through the process of fixboot and rebuild BCD all to no avail I cannot install new drivers if I cannot get windows to boot, I believe this is a defect in Windows 7 and I refuse to pay Microsoft $45 for them to tell me how to fix a problem that I should not even be having, why cant I upgrade my computer without haveing to reinstall a new copy of windows.

You can do some upgrades without reinstalling Windows, but if you
    change the motherboard you almost always have to reinstall Windows.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:16 PM

All replies

• On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 02:56:51 +0000, jimbird wrote:

after replacing the motherboard windows 7 will not boot, after running the repair module it still wont boot and tells me i need to remove the new hardware and try again, this is impossible, I have tried restoring windows from a backup image which did not work, I have run the boot repair console many times to no avail, I have gone through the process of fixboot and rebuild BCD all to no avail I cannot install new drivers if I cannot get windows to boot, I believe this is a defect in Windows 7 and I refuse to pay Microsoft $45 for them to tell me how to fix a problem that I should not even be having, why cant I upgrade my computer without haveing to reinstall a new copy of windows.

You can do some upgrades without reinstalling Windows, but if you
    change the motherboard you almost always have to reinstall Windows.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:16 PM