none
Network admin password not accepted for software installation on user's machine

Question

• I have a user in a Windows Server 08 environment working on a Windows 7 machine.  We have a network administrator password to install software and this password is accepted on all machines except this one user's PC.  The UAC will pop up and the network admin password will allow for modifications that require admin permission but after the UAC pops up and the password is entered a new "Windows Security" window opens asking for the network password, however, the network password is not accepted.  Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening or a work around?  A side note, this problem is not consistent with all installations.

Monday, October 03, 2011 12:58 PM

Answers

• Yea, if you can run the installation program from the system account, it should already be 'authenticated' and just install...
    If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

Please verify your network administrator is a member of Administrators group on problematic computer.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:26 AM

All replies

• Are you installing it on the machine locally or remotely?
    If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Install is local.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:30 PM
  • I am wondering if all of your computers are a part of the same workgroup/domain...

You can get root access to the pc and install under the system account...

Do something like this to get a command prompt window under the system account:

You can start the service from services....

C:\Windows\System32\sc create SystemCommandWindow binpath= "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" type= own type= interact 

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Let me provide a little more info to help narrow possibilities.  All machines are on the same domain, including this one.  As a matter of fact, before posting this issue, I took the machine in question off the domain and then re-added it so it's definitely on the same domain as the other machines and the network password does work when I install software from the internet and some third party software from CD.  The part that is really confusing me is I can see that the machine accepts the network password when the UAC comes up but this new window (Windows Security) is really odd.  I haven't seen this on any other machine, but more importantly, it's asking for the network password but doesn't accept it.  It looks as if the UAC is coming up because the system recognizes that the action requires admin privileges (which is normal) but I don't understand what this additional Windows Security prompt is coming up for nor why it's not accepting the network password, the same password used when the UAC comes up.  I took a screen shot of the issue.  I'll edit the identifying information, scan, and post to give a better idea as to what I'm looking at.

I'll also try the suggestion you posted.

• Edited by MayhemOH Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Yea, if you can run the installation program from the system account, it should already be 'authenticated' and just install...
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

Please verify your network administrator is a member of Administrators group on problematic computer.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:26 AM