none
Outlook 2007 won't start

Question

• Hi everyone!

I've had a great experience using the windows 7 beta and RC1 so far. About a week ago I noticed that I couldn't start Outlook 2007 at all. Strange, since it worked perfectly before. I get this error message: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window."

Anyone who has encountered this problem, or someone who knows how to solve it? I'm grateful for any help!
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by axfelix Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:11 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 2:16 AM
  • I went to check my mail this morning and got the same message. I don'thave a RPC entry in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\RPC"  I run diagnosis in Office, run repair from the CD, uninstalled Outlook, run CcCleaner and Disk Cleanup, reinstalled and it will still not run.  Unfortunately I only have a Restre point from yesterday at 7:30 pm and it won't bring it back either.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:30 PM
  • I added RPC and it still won't start. It won't start in Safe Mode but when I send a link from IE 8 a new mail windows comes up.  I don't think it ever gets sent though.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:45 PM
  • I found the fix for mine!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252304

I did Method #2 for deleting the Registry key.  Outlook started up and asked for a new profile name.  Many settings were back to default but most were my old settings.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Unfortunately after trying both solutions after a long time, neither of them has given me any success with solving my problem. What even confuses me more is that other users on the same computer can start up Outlook properly. It's really annyoing! Is there still any solution that could work?
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Big thanks to LegolasX2 for the tip!
    I had the same problem as Harold O. I have been a very happy user of Windows 7 RC1 untill this morning (8/20/09). Tried to start Outlook 2007 and got the same message, "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window."  So I followed your link, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252304 and did the registry key delete. It worked, but my 6 email account settings were gone along with all my mail sort settings, but hey, at least I can access the friggin' program. Damm that Bill Gates anyway!
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Good Morning!

I too am experiencing the error that Harold is mentioning along with keyboard delays. Really could use your help. My tech admin (hubby) is offshore.  

Followed Robinson Zhang's link and looked at his response, however I have 5.0 and from there the rest is not in my list.

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\RPC. What do I do know? Any clue?
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:11 PM
  • I fount the real solution!  I went into my mail profiles in the control panel and copied the Outlook profile and named the copy Outlook 2.  Then I exported the new profile located the registry key mentioned here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252304.  I deleted the profiles key and then restored the one I exported and it works!  I still have all of my settings and everything!  Try this before you recreate everything.
    • Proposed as answer by IWantsAnswers Thursday, October 08, 2009 1:03 AM
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 1:01 AM
  • HI
    This morning my outlook 2007 won't open. I  am getting the message, " Canot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window."

I have run a repiar and installed all recent updates. This is my home machine --- I work at home.

I would appreciate any help.

update - I have let Microsoft do a  registry fix. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/252304

Outlook now opens and my mail is back. However I cannot send or receive mail.  I am getting the message "The operation faild. An object could not be found" I have repaired Office 2007 once again and I still can't send and receive.

dsruva
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Thanks AnswersGuy, you gave me a dumb out to this problem. I just copied the profile as you said, made outlook2 the default profile and the program worked. Go figure
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:37 PM
  • This does work but it still made me recreate the profile settings. I ended up reimporting the pst too. Now I at least can get into it.

Thanks,

Will

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:59 PM
  • This does work but it still made me recreate the profile settings. I ended up reimporting the pst too. Now I at least can get into it.

Thanks,

Will

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:59 PM

• Hi there.

Start->run..then type the following -> "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane"

Should solve your problem.

Not sure why or how but i read this in a post somewhere and tried it and it worked...

All info was unchanged in my outlook!

Good luck.

Saturday, May 08, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Well, there's comfort (?) in the knowledge that I'm not alonte.  A few days ago I got the same message you quote above.  This is so frustrating.  I did try to restore my computer to an earlier time when it was working, but that didn't help.  So now i say HELP!
    Monday, May 31, 2010 11:21 PM
  • The  "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane" thing sure helped me.

Thank you!

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:51 PM

• Hi there.

Start->run..then type the following -> "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane"

Should solve your problem.

Not sure why or how but i read this in a post somewhere and tried it and it worked...

All info was unchanged in my outlook!

Good luck.

This was a FANTASTIC FIX -- THANKS. WORKEDIN 2 SECONDS ON THE FIRST TRY.

Monday, June 14, 2010 2:05 AM
  • Hello,

Don't know if this will be of use to anyone, but I discovered a unique problem relating to Outlook (2007 and 2010 had the problem) and Outlook Connector.

Outlook would just hang whenever I tried loading it, and the hard drive would just keeping going--I would eventually have to end the process with Task Manager.

In an attempt to fix it, I did an Office repair and uninstalled-reinstalled Outlook to no avail. When I uninstalled Outlook Connector and disassociated Outlook with my Hotmail accounts, it worked, but this obviously defeated the purpose of using Outlook.

If you're using Outlook Connector and come across this situation, I pretty much deleted all files in the folder listed below, save for archive.pst and Outlook.pst. You can probably get away with just deleting the .ost files that are associated with the @hotmail/@live/@msn email account(s).

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\LocalLow\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Friday, June 18, 2010 5:39 AM
  • Thankyou sooooo much! Mine stopped working today- tried what you suggested at first didn't work but ensured there was a space between the exe / and all fixed, thankyou thankyou thankyou!
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Hello,

I was greeted by this message – Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. This was a bit of an issue as I am heavy user of Outlook for checking all my mails.

To solve the problem:

• Start->run..then type the following -> “Outlook.exe /resetnavpane” - Worked for me. Source
    • Try doing a system restore which in 90% cases solves the issue.
    • Try repairing Microsoft Office by running the original Setup files you must have.
    • Sometimes this happens because of the broken profile. So You can try to re-connect your outlook file by reading details here.
    • You can use the The Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) which is designed to help repair problems that are associated with personal folder (.pst) files. Read details here

Regards,

Mohammed Ektifan

MEKTIFAN
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Thank you. This worked immediately. I am very grateful for your help.
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:10 AM
  • That worked, thank you!  I am running Vista and I couldn't find the run button, so I pasted it into the search box and then I clicked on the file, "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane"
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:07 PM
  • worked like a charm.

thanks

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Worked for me too!  Many thanks!
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:02 PM
  • well i am geting a cant start cause MSVCR90.dll is missing
    Monday, July 02, 2012 6:28 PM