none
Unexpected Shutdown - Event Viewer Error

Question

• Just yesterday I have run a custom install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and updated to SP1 on my PC but noticed today it has shutdown a few times. Checking the event view displays the four group errors, please could some help resolve this issues?

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
    Date:          26/05/2011 21:35:12
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      RJC-PC
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0xfffff880017546a0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000008, 0xfffff880017546a0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 052611-32245-01.

Log Name:      Security
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog
    Date:          26/05/2011 21:35:08
    Event ID:      1101
    Task Category: Event processing
    Keywords:      Audit Success
    Description:
    Audit events have been dropped by the transport.  0

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date:          26/05/2011 21:34:43
    Event ID:      41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level:         Critical
    Keywords:      (2)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source:        EventLog
    Date:          26/05/2011 21:35:04
    Event ID:      6008
    Description:
    The previous system shutdown at 20:47:25 on ‎26/‎05/‎2011 was unexpected.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:21 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:04 PM

Answers

• Event ID 6008 entries indicate that there was an unexpected shutdown.

Critical thermal event indicates that the problem is related to one of your hardware components not functioning properly that is triggering the computer to shut down.

This can be a driver or other system file error This can also be caused by faulty hardware in the I/O path to the file (a disk error, faulty RAM, or a corrupted page file).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, May 27, 2011 4:41 AM
  • Log Name:      System
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0xfffff880017546a0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000008, 0xfffff880017546a0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 052611-32245-01.

Based on this information, refer to the Bug Check 0xD1: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560244(v=VS.85).aspx 

I recommend you update the BIOS and other hardware devices driver to the latest one.

If the issue persists, we need to analyze the dump file, you can upload the dump file to your SkyDrive, put it in a public folder and reply a link here. I'll check it later. For how to upload, see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If no clue found, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service for a charged call: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:07 AM

All replies

• Event ID 6008 entries indicate that there was an unexpected shutdown.

Critical thermal event indicates that the problem is related to one of your hardware components not functioning properly that is triggering the computer to shut down.

This can be a driver or other system file error This can also be caused by faulty hardware in the I/O path to the file (a disk error, faulty RAM, or a corrupted page file).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, May 27, 2011 4:41 AM
  • Methods I would recommend

Method 1:

Boot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue still persists

i.                    Restart the computer

ii.                  Start tapping F8 key

iii.                You will get advanced boot option window

iv.                 Using the arrow key select the option “Safe mode”

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 2:

If the issue does not persist in safe mode then boot in clean boot to check which third party is causing the problem. To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Steps to perform clean boot and check if you have the issue.

i.                    Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

ii.                  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

iii.                 On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

iv.                 Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

v.                   Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and       then click Disable All.

vi.                 Click OK.

vii.               When you are prompted, click Restart.

viii.             After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

If the issue is resolved check which third party is causing the problem, referring the link given below: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135  

Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

i.                    Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

ii.                  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

iii.                On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

iv.                When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Method 3:

Update all the drivers installed from device manager. Steps to follow

i.                    Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

ii.                  Expand the driver you want to update and right click on the sub item and click update driver.

Method 4 :

Select Start, right click on Computer select Properties, Advanced System Settings, Start-Up and Recovery, System Failure and uncheck the box before Automatically Restart. Do not re-enable automatic restart on system failure after getting this information as this setting is best left to not to allow Automatic Restart.

Friday, May 27, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Log Name:      System
    Description:

Based on this information, refer to the Bug Check 0xD1: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560244(v=VS.85).aspx 

I recommend you update the BIOS and other hardware devices driver to the latest one.

If the issue persists, we need to analyze the dump file, you can upload the dump file to your SkyDrive, put it in a public folder and reply a link here. I'll check it later. For how to upload, see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If no clue found, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service for a charged call: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:07 AM