none
xp machine cant see windows 7

Question

• just install windows 7.  have a brother 5140 laser printer attached.  2 apple laptops can see and print to the window 7 machine.

1 xp machine dont even see the windows 7 machine.

i disabled  firewalls and the antivirus on both.. windows 7 can see the xp machine and print to the hp deskjet on the xp machine.  both have the workgroup labled the same  no matter what i change it wont show up.  any suggestions?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:58 AM

Answers

• Here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Temporarily disable firewall each machine and router (if it has).

2. Install the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder package from the link below on Windows XP machine:

Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder package

3. Assure the following services are started on each machine: Computer Browser, Server, Workstation

4. Perform a Clean Boot on each machine.

5. Write down the computer name for Windows 7. Click Start button in Windows XP and click Run, type \\Windows 7 computer name, and then press enter. Can you access the Windows 7 computer now?

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, November 02, 2009 4:21 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:12 AM

All replies

• Here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Temporarily disable firewall each machine and router (if it has).

2. Install the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder package from the link below on Windows XP machine:

Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder package

3. Assure the following services are started on each machine: Computer Browser, Server, Workstation

4. Perform a Clean Boot on each machine.

5. Write down the computer name for Windows 7. Click Start button in Windows XP and click Run, type \\Windows 7 computer name, and then press enter. Can you access the Windows 7 computer now?

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, November 02, 2009 4:21 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:12 AM
  • All I needed to know was step #5 in your answer.  It was simple once I knew - thanks!  It took me about 45 min of reading posts to find it though, I was about to give up.  We are not all techies.  Lots of discussion about not seeing xp from Windows 7 but not vice versa.

Monday, January 16, 2012 7:40 PM