none
1068 dependency service group failed to start when trying to restart printer spooler

Question

•  

Need to get past this error and get back to being able to add a printer on a window vista laptop. 

1068 dependency service group failed to start

Tried to be a nice mom and install a dell printer we had on my daughters laptop but it didn't work :-(  We have decided to just use the college network printers and not the Dell.  I had  attempted to hook up to a Dell printer and install it software but decided after it wasn't working to uninstall it (after several attempts and getting information and downloads off the dell site). 

So the Dell printer software is not in Start Programs but when I go to try to the Add Printer it gives a message that it is unable to because the spooler is not running. Also some she had there when she got the laptop no longer appear. The spooler wont run because the dependency failed to start.  3 dependencies were listed on its tab Http, LexBce Server and Remote Procedure Call (RPC).  I was able to start the last one but the LexBCe Server gives and error that it could not start because the file is not there and if it is part of the Dell printer load we DONT need it .

How can I get her back to where this was at so she can do a Add Printer when she gets to college?

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:20 AM

Answers

• Try to clean Printing Sub System with the following steps. The steps can help you to clear all existed printer drivers and software.

Step 1:
    ==============================

Click "Start", type "regedit" in Research Bare and press "Enter". Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand Printers key. All current printers installed on your computer are listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

Step 2:
    ===============================

Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NTx86\Drivers\Version-3

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed on your computer will be listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

Step 3:

Locate and then expand the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

View the list of subkeys. There should only be the following subkeys for the default print monitors:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port
    PJL Language Monitor
    Standard TCP/IP Port
    USB Monitor

If there are any subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed above has to be deleted. To do this, right-click each subkey that is not on the list, and then click Delete. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.

Step 4:

Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

Go to safe mode.

Open "My Computer" and browse to the folder: 

Go to the Following folder

(i) C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86
    (ii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers
    (iii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86

And then delete all the files and the folders in the following 3 folders.

Check Whether the Spooler services is Working Properly.

Then download the driver for the Dell printer and install it.

Monday, September 01, 2008 2:54 AM

All replies

• The service LexBCe Server is provided by Lexmark printer driver. This service is configured as dependency service of Printer Spooler Service. This behavior is caused by Lexmark printer driver. Follow the steps below to change the configure.

1. Click Start->All Programs->Accessories, right-click “cmd” and choose “Run as administrator”.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter.

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

Note: there is a space character between “depend=” and “RPCSS”.

It will prompts “ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS”.

Then try to enable the Print Spooler Service again.

If the printer cannot be installed, access the following website to download and install the printer driver from Dell website.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Select “Select Model”->“Select Your Product Model”->“Printers”->“Printer”, and choose the correct model, click “Confirm”. Identify the selected printer model, and select the correct system “Windows Vista 32bit”, click “Find Downloads”. Download the driver and install it.

The printer installation may include printer driver and software. After installing, you could use the printer via the Dell printing software.

Hope it helps

• Proposed as answer by Ardavan H Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:03 PM
    Friday, August 22, 2008 1:52 AM
  •  

The spooler started but wont stay started after a few minutes it comes up with this message

Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed

A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

I checked and the LexBce Server is not on the dependencies tab of the spooler any more and the LexBce Service is disabled.

Monday, August 25, 2008 11:58 PM
  • The error "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed" is received if the existed printer driver is corrupt or not installed properly. I suggest that you test if the Dell printer works properly first. If it prints without issues, this error message is caused by the Lexmark driver. In this case, follow the steps below to remove the driver.

1. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".
    2. Try to remove all Lexmark related software.

However, if the Dell printer does not work properly, try to reinstall the driver.

First, remove the existed Dell printer driver.

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.
    2. Find the icons which are related to Konica Mintola Magicolor 2430DL, and delete them.
    3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".
    4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.
    5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".
    6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Then, access the following website to download and install the printer driver from Dell website.
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Select “Select Model”->“Select Your Product Model”->“Printers”->“Printer”, and choose the correct model, click “Confirm”. Identify the selected printer model, and select the correct system “Windows Vista 32bit”, click “Find Downloads”. Download the driver and install it.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:53 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply, 

The printer doesnt work  - cant even get a screen up in Word when we hit the print button so here what we found for steps 1 to 5

1 and 2 - the PRINTER screen was completely empty and when she right clicked into Server Properties it woulldn't allow access, it can up with a message that it was unable because the Printer Spooler was not running.

5 and 6 - We found no printer software on the Programs and Features list. 

Should we proceed to download and installl the printer driver for the Dell A940?

Also I looked at the download site and for the printer there is 3 recommended and 2 optional.  I had tried to install these downloads before and had to do them one at a time because the add to download list feature wasn't working and the printer didn't work.  Do we need to take them in date order?  Should we only do the recommended?
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:53 PM
  • If no item is listed, just ignore that step.

Ignore step 2. In Step 3 and 4, you may see multiple printers listed in. I suggest that you remove all Lexmark and Dell printers. Then, ignore step 5 and 6.

After you remove the printers, download the latest driver for the Dell printer. In the Dell driver download website, "Select Model"->"Select Your Product Model"->"Printers"->"Printer", and choose the correct model, click "Confirm". Identify the selected printer model, and select the correct system "Windows Vista 32bit", click "Find Downloads".

If the driver is not found, let me know the model of the printer.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:25 AM
  •  

Step 5 and 6 wasn't able to complete, when she right clicked into Server Properties it woulldn't allow access, it can up with a message that it was unable because the Printer Spooler was not running.

Found the model (Dell A940 all-in-one) on the download list. I'll tell her to only take the recommended downloads in date order.

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Try to clean Printing Sub System with the following steps. The steps can help you to clear all existed printer drivers and software.

Step 1:
    ==============================

Click "Start", type "regedit" in Research Bare and press "Enter". Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand Printers key. All current printers installed on your computer are listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

Step 2:

Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NTx86\Drivers\Version-3

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed on your computer will be listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

Step 3:

Locate and then expand the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

View the list of subkeys. There should only be the following subkeys for the default print monitors:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port
    PJL Language Monitor
    Standard TCP/IP Port
    USB Monitor

If there are any subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed above has to be deleted. To do this, right-click each subkey that is not on the list, and then click Delete. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.

Step 4:

Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

Go to safe mode.

Open "My Computer" and browse to the folder: 

Go to the Following folder

(i) C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86
    (ii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers
    (iii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86

And then delete all the files and the folders in the following 3 folders.

Check Whether the Spooler services is Working Properly.

Then download the driver for the Dell printer and install it.

Monday, September 01, 2008 2:54 AM
  •  

Thank you, I sent these instruction to my daughter at college and the link to the dell download page you gave me so she can get the vista driver for the Dell AIO.  I appreciate all your help - hope you have a great weekend :-)
    Saturday, September 06, 2008 1:08 PM
  • This really shows us that MS is not on top of this problem.  When I searched for a solution on Google, I was brought  to the MS help forums, where there were PLENTY of posts about the same issues, but when I actually signed up to post comments and was taken back to MS pages and did another search, there is NOTHING listed in the search.  What's going on, MS?  These posts that I was following were over a year old, and "here we go again" is running through my mind quite rapidly.  My issue is a bit different, in that the error I get (the second time this issue has come up since July '08, is "Spooloer Sub System App" error.  In any case, can't print, and can't fix it!

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:14 AM
  • Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing this issue also on a visa home basic system.   My printer is a HP Deskjet D2560.

The printer works fine if I print locally, however if after sharing it and try to print from a another PC in the network, I kept getting   "Print spooler app has stopped working" error.

HP was pretty much useless and blamed the problem on MSoft.  However, I was able to fix the problem on my own .   I did not delete any registry or anything.  I simply went to the printer properties and clikc on the advanced tab and  unchecked the option for  "enabled advanced printing features"

Personally I am thinking it has to do with the drivers but I could be wrong

Sunday, October 05, 2008 12:02 PM
  • Hi Bernie,

Thank you for your sharing.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 1:47 AM
  • Hi Lw,

Sorry for delay.

The print spooler issue can be caused by several reasons. In Lynn's case, it said "1068 dependency service group failed to start". Also we found that Lexmark service is a dependency for Print Spooler, but by default it should not be. Therefore we found that the Print Spooler Service is configured to depend on a Lexmark service when the driver was installed, but the Lexmark driver is already deleted.

Bernie's issue is caused by incorrect setting, but we have not known the detail situation.

In your system, if the error is "Spooloer Sub System App", the most possible cause is the printer driver that is corrupt or not compatible.

I suggest that you remove the driver first, and find the latest driver to install.

Remove printer

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Find the icons which are related to the printer, and delete them.

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Then, download the latest driver and install.

However, if the above steps cannot be finished because the Printer Spooler service does not start, please follow the steps below to manually clear printing subsystem.

Step 1

======

Start Windows Explorer, and then rename all files and folders in the following two folders:

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

To rename a file, we can right click the file and select Rename.

Step 2

======

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search Bar, and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Drivers

Print Processors

If there are any keys other than those listed above, follow these steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than Drivers and Print Processors.

Step 3

======

Navigate to and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port

Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Monitor

Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

WSD Port

If there are any keys other than those listed in above, follow these steps to delete them:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type Monitorsregkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than the 5 listed above.

Step 4. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

Step 5. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer.

Then download the latest driver and install it.

If the issue persists, please create a new thread. We will focus on this issue on the new thread.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:46 AM
  • Hi Arthur

You indicated   "Bernie's issue is caused by incorrect setting, but we have not known the detail situation. "

What do you mean by that.   I experienced this problem on a ACER VISTA desktop system.   I did a complete system re-install to factory default.   I installed the printer driver and same issue.  

I then uninstalled the driver, updated VISTA with all the update before SP1, re-installed the drivers and still same problem.   

Again, uninstalled the driver,  updated to SP1 plus all other updates and still same problem.  I even went

to the HP web site and installed the latest drivers and still the printer spooler was being reported.

Only way I can print through any of the PC on the network is either by disabling the advanced printer options or to bypass the spooler and  print directly to the printer.

Bernie

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:26 AM