none
Consistent W7 Freezing Problem Solution? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,
            I've become a big fan of Windows 7 from my initial impressions however for a while I could'nt get to enjoy it. Before I get into it here are my system specifications:

It's a cost effecient tower my good friend helped me assemble.

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4000+ 2.40 GHz
    3.00 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
    Hard Disk Size 1TB

Windows 7 Performance Rating 4.3

Okay so after initially installing Windows 7 64x version I ecountered a problem seen by some of you. During operations like web browsing and viewing a video in media player my computer would completely lock up requiring a hard reset. First I made sure all the updates were properly installed and then ensured that my drivers were up to date, but no dice. However in safe mode this problem did not prevent itself. I tried disabling all other applications other than Microsoft System services at the behest of a suggestion in these forums however the problem continued. Frustrated I decided to attempt the 32x version of Windows 7. Same problem with even with updates and drivers, safe mode was doing great though. Determined I took it one step further I did a Diagnostic startup and going up the list enabled about 2-3 services at a time attempting to locate the cause of the disruption. I used the Sample video of wild animals as my control, if it was going to freeze it would never make it through the video twice. Finally I located the service that was causing the goof-up, when I disabled the Windows Service Power the problem didn't resurface. Unfortunatley the smooth function of the OS on my computer has a side effect I have no idea what the service Power does but when it's disabled the sound no longer works. This holds true for my system in 64x as well. I'm typing this post on it now without any sound lol. So is there a fix for this that can make my computer function and the sound at the same time? I really like Windows 7 hopefully I won't have to go back to XP.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Special_K_,

The Power service is described with the following text "Manages power policy and power policy notification delivery."  Perhaps, rather than disabling the Power service, you could try disabling the various power-management settings?  Many people running the RC have encountered problems that disabling power-management has proved to work around.
    • Marked as answer by Special_K_ Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Special_K_,

The Power service is described with the following text "Manages power policy and power policy notification delivery."  Perhaps, rather than disabling the Power service, you could try disabling the various power-management settings?  Many people running the RC have encountered problems that disabling power-management has proved to work around.
    • Marked as answer by Special_K_ Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:23 AM
  • generate a system health report and check where the problem is....

to do so, check performance and reliability options...and use troubleshooter to solve your problem, access it from Action Center...

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:12 AM
  • No Compromise thanks for the suggestion! I messed with power options and changed it to "High Performance". And interestingly enough so far no freezing problems (I'm don't wanna get my hopes too high only to be dashed). But audio is functioning great and everything. Thanks for your suggestion too Nitinagarwal. Hopefully this can and this and the sleep issue can be resolved in updates.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Good to hear that the workaround may make a difference in your case, Special_K_! :-)
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:12 AM