none
ATE Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

Question

• My computer wants me to delete this if I'm not using this device anymore.  Problem is I have no idea which "device" it belongs to.  Anyone know?

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:37 AM

Answers

• Hello Cindy,

Based on my research, ATI Radeon Kernel Mode driver is related to series of ATI graphic adapters. You may find the driver file at \windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys. There are some suggestions for you:

·         I don’t recommend you to stop this service by deleting the file or modifying registry.

·         Before going any further on this problem, please let me know the brand and model of your graphic adapter.

·         Please also let me know: Is the prompt sent by operating system or an application? If an application, what’s it? And, when did you receive the prompt?

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hello Cindy,

Based on my research, ATI Radeon Kernel Mode driver is related to series of ATI graphic adapters. You may find the driver file at \windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys. There are some suggestions for you:

·         I don’t recommend you to stop this service by deleting the file or modifying registry.

·         Before going any further on this problem, please let me know the brand and model of your graphic adapter.

·         Please also let me know: Is the prompt sent by operating system or an application? If an application, what’s it? And, when did you receive the prompt?

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:36 AM
  • Hello,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Friday, November 02, 2007 11:06 AM
  • I am having the same problem. It is also discussed here: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2557819&SiteID=17

PLEASE figure out a fix! ...and re-open this forum. thanks!

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:02 AM
  • Hello t90chica,

Thanks for your post!

I followed the link to the thread where the problem is in discussion, and found that the issue happens only if computer wakes from sleep mode. Therefore, that may be not the same issue talked in this thread. We'd recommend that you start up a new thread for it. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

Thanks for your understanding!

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:11 AM
  • ..It just so happens I am encountering what appears to be the exact same issue described within. i.e. performance issues related to recovery from sleep mode - i.e. it takes forever if at all. I ran a Window (Vista) performance issues analysis which indicated two potential issues:

i) ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

ii) Windows Driver Foundation User Mode Driver

I was provided an option to remove the drivers in the event I didn't need them. I am admittedly clueless when it comes to the technical stuff and wouldn't even consider triggering these type of changes without some professional advice.

Anyway, I've had Vista installed for a year and have been extremely disappointed with the performance (very slow response in addition to above issue) and am looking forward to some resolution.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

System/Hardware Info:

Windows Vista Home Premium 6.0.6000

Dell Dimension 8200

Intel Pentium 4CPU 2.00 GHz

Radeon 9550; Driver atikmdag.sys (7.1.1.537)

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:38 AM
  • I have been experiencing numerous restarts with my machine. I think they are related to the ATI VISTA interface. I base this one the errors in the VISTA event log. I have loaded the newest ATI Vista drivers from the AMD site and believe my copy of vista is up to date. Is there any known fix to this problem?

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:21 PM
  •  

This issue started for me about 1-2 weeks ago. I cant quite nail down which Security update caused this becuase its my daughters laptop and she didnt say anything for a while.  If I create a new profile its unaffected.  Any pre-exsisting profile causes BSOD within 30 seconds of desktop build.  Creating new profiles and moving stuff around is not the fix.  Microsoft needs to lab this one and figure it out.  No issues in safe mode becuase the drives dont load.

Ken Foster

MCSE, 2003, Vista Certified

Saturday, October 04, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Same thing happening with my system, an Alienware PC...
    I will search the AMD database again and see if they have any updates for my driver...
    Like eralier corresondents, I am totally clueless when it comes to these technical issues.  Frankly I am surprised that I got this far.
    Hope somone has a solution or work-around.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:52 PM
  • I am having the same problem on my laptop, related to ati radeon kernel mode driver interferring with my current ati driver, when i do a search on my computer it tells me that it is related to a  WOW patch ?downloaded with the game's latest patch. It also tells me if I'm not using it to delete it.  I also have checked my systems and it is not related to any of my normal device drivers.  I also was not having any previous problems until @ 2-3 weeks ago about the same time this patch was downloaded 2/6/2009.  I don't know if any of you are wow gamers or not....or if this helps at all....

Friday, July 24, 2009 4:24 AM