none
Windows 10 Group Control Panel Policy gets Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed that when I log on as a user in Windows 10 recently I see all my Control Panel Items. This while I've actived the user policy to hide many of them. So I've looked in the event log and I saw this event:

Event 4098

User preference item 'Attributes' in GPO  was not applied because it failed with error code '0x80070005 Access was denied.' This error has been suppressed.

Group policy Registry Item - USER System

If i look in the registry hive, SYSTEM has access.

Now i wonder if there is a problem in the stack and I've noticed people are complaining a lot about: 

KB 4552152

Or could there be another problem. What are your thoughts?

Friday, May 22, 2020 11:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here!

To narrow down the issue , would you please tell more about how did you deploy the policy?

When you run the gpresult /h report.html ,how did the result show?

If possible, please share a screenshot of that. 

Tip: If private information is involved in the screenshot, it is recommended to blur sensitive information.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 25, 2020 12:41 AM
  • Good morning,

When do a GPresult on my user name the policy has been applied. 

But in the event viewer I get this error.

1) I have this policy:

2) And I still see all the items in the control panel, after a restart/Gpupdate

3) I get this event:

That's strange because it did work and like I said System has read and write access in the registry hive

Translated error from Dutch

User preference item 'Attributes' in GPO  was not applied because it failed with error code '0x80070005 Access was denied.' This error has been suppressed.

Group policy Registry Item - USER System

If i look in the registry hive, SYSTEM has access.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Monday, May 25, 2020 6:09 AM
  • Many thanks for your reply!
    Monday, May 25, 2020 6:10 AM
  • Hi this is solved. My coworker saw another policy who was higher in precedence which was interfering with the explorer key.

When we disabled that, it worked.

Monday, May 25, 2020 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that you have solved this issue by yourself. In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 12:49 AM