none
WDS - Specify Machine Name and OU Location

Question

• Hello,

I will try to explain my problem as clearly as possible and see if anyone can help.

We are trialling Windows Vista with a WDS deployment here on our corporate network, our current setup is as follows;

Windows Server 2003 Domain

Windows XP Pro SP2

Current OS Deployment Process = RIS

Software Installation Process = Primarily via VBScript \ Group Policy \ Microsoft Softgrid

We have upgraded to Microsoft WDS on our current RIS server.  We are running WDS in mixed mode so that we can still use RIS to deploy our current XP images, this is working great.  The problem comes when deploying Vista via WDS.

In RIS you were able to Specify the Machine Name (or get it to auto populate from the machine GUID and AD) and also script the OU you wanted new machine to be placed in upon completion.

It appears that this is not possible in WDS, you seem to have to wait for setup to complete, then enter the machine name so that it is the correct name (based on an asset number we stick on the machine) and then manually add it to the domain.

Now i understand that you can configure the unattend XML to name and add the machine to a domain, but this will mean that it will try to name every machine the same (not great for Active Directory!)

Bear in mind that we currently support in the region of 1700 desktops, with RIS sit was theoretically possible to hit F12 at boot on all 1700 and rebuild them, if they were new all we had to do was enter the machine name at the start of the RIS process, we could then walk away, 90mins later, the machines were ready for an end user.

Is this even possible with WDS??

Thanks

Mike

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:21 AM

Answers

• I am having the same problem unfortunely this is a flaw in Vista currently but there are workarounds...

You can stage the machines by adding them to AD with the computer GUID - not practicle if you ask me...

Or you can download the Microsoft Deployment Tools and configure a task sequence.  This appears to work really well although it does create some overhead and i am not happy with this solution either.  This is all that i have found so far but am still looking for a decent solution.

This will not be fixed in Vista SP1 either...

Alternative option you could create a script to execute at the end of minisetup that joins the machine to the domain and names it but this isnt a real solution either.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Brandon

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:20 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem unfortunely this is a flaw in Vista currently but there are workarounds...

You can stage the machines by adding them to AD with the computer GUID - not practicle if you ask me...

Or you can download the Microsoft Deployment Tools and configure a task sequence.  This appears to work really well although it does create some overhead and i am not happy with this solution either.  This is all that i have found so far but am still looking for a decent solution.

This will not be fixed in Vista SP1 either...

Alternative option you could create a script to execute at the end of minisetup that joins the machine to the domain and names it but this isnt a real solution either.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Brandon

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:20 AM
  •  

I know its been awhile since this has been posted but I'll post it anyway for anyone looking for it.

If you use the unattended XML file for the vista image and set the computer name to be %MACHINENAME%, it will adopt whatever name that WDS has generated for it. We are using that now with our vista business SP1 images and its working quite well.

Justin

Friday, June 06, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Hey Justin

Are you using deployment toolkit as well, or just WDS?  Am having such hassles trying to get WDS naming to work, deploying an image i created with deployment toolkit.  See my post here - http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4003614&SiteID=17

cheers
    Ray

Monday, October 20, 2008 9:16 AM