none
Windows 7 uses too much Physical Memory

Question

• Hello all,

I'm curious as to why as of the latest update, Windows 7 has been using up all my physical memory.

I boot up the computer, work, leave it idle for a few hours. And when I come back, my computer is really slow.

I check the task manager (and now it's loading really slow) and it says that physical memory is 98%. I check the Performance tab and it says that 5.94 GB of memory is being used.

But when I go to the processes tab, it says nothing is over 15,000 KB (Quick note, i'm running task manager as administrator).

When I reboot, everything works fine again.

Help?

Friday, April 02, 2010 1:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• I see that nobody has responded to this, so I'm going to update this thread while I can.

(so much for good support... -___-)

Windows 7 x64 used up 99% of my physical memory, and then it crashed itself with the blue screen. Can anyone offer me advice as to what to delete, what to stop, etc?

Sunday, April 04, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Just wondering - does your system report this excessive amount of memory usage in safe mode?

Bill
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 3:46 PM
  • What column are you looking at in Task Manager?  

Can you upload to SkyDrive the minidump from c:\windows\minidump, corresponding to the BSOD?

Can you upload a screen shot of Process Explorer's System Information Window, when the problem is evident?

Sunday, April 04, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

Please let us know what process takes the high RAM usage.

In addition, you may test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there is a software confliction issue.

What’s the result in Clean Boot?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 05, 2010 5:03 AM
    1. In Safe Mode, it does, after idling a while.
    2. I'm looking at the "Performance" column in Task Manager. I also looked at the Resource Manager.
    3. I am trying to upload the minidump to skydrive, but skydrive "is having a problem".
    4. When the problem happens again, i will upload a screenshot.
    5. I'm looking at the process list and there is no program taking up high RAM usage.
    6. I'm doing the clean boot method now.

Just a quick note:

the blue screen error was PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. I searched it up and found out why the blue screen happened. But why was windows using up that much memory in the first place?

and also:

Every time I run my McAfee scan, it crashes when it reaches some system directory (can't be certain what it is right now...)

Monday, April 05, 2010 4:40 PM
  • The minidump may hold details about where the memory was being used.
    Monday, April 05, 2010 5:32 PM