none
User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean) utility" for Windows 7?

Question

• Please can somebody prove that this supposed to be built in Windows 7... Has Microsoft states: "In versions of the Windows operating system that are earlier than Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean) utility to have the same functionality. However, the UPHClean utility is incompatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Additionally, the UPHClean utility is not needed because this functionality is built into Windows Vista."

So where is this "functionality"  supposed to be built in? And why can't we see it? And if it is built in; why does it not work as well it did for XP? - Why I ask this question, is because the one found in Win7 (Services) is called User Profile Service; which is not the same that Robin Caron/Making of the UPHClean utility, which one could get from Microsoft Update for XP.

So the big question here for Microsoft to answer, is why have they called their version "User Profile Service", which is not the same that Robin Caron's UPHClean utility did for XP! - Because the User Profile Service from the built in Services found in Win7; does not work or functionality as it should do.

P W Lucas
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi P W Lucas,

Thanks for the post!

This User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. You can also do that in Windows 7 via Group Policy.

You can delete the user profiles older than a specified time. Check the group policy setting:

Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - User Profiles, on the right pane, "Delete user profiles than a specified number of days on system restart"

If you use offline files and  want to delete local copied user files when logoff, check the policy settings:

Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Network - Offline File, on the right pane, "At logoff, delete local copy of user's offline files"

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 29, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Hi P W Lucas,

Thanks for the post!

This User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. You can also do that in Windows 7 via Group Policy.

You can delete the user profiles older than a specified time. Check the group policy setting:

Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - User Profiles, on the right pane, "Delete user profiles than a specified number of days on system restart"

If you use offline files and  want to delete local copied user files when logoff, check the policy settings:

Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Network - Offline File, on the right pane, "At logoff, delete local copy of user's offline files"

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Hi Miya,

Thanks for your info'... But this does not actually answer my question.

Regards,

Paul W Lucas

P W Lucas
    Monday, August 01, 2011 12:39 PM
  • you don't say : why this has to be sought out or if it is a regular function of another part of 7 or why if it is not that indeed it is' not .

another note why it is now accouring. an update initiated it or WHAT ?

Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Hello Miya & Lucas,

The reason for me to use the User Profile Hive Cleanup tool was to un/lock the "Copy to" profile function at "User Profiles". It is grayed out, and in the past I could install this tool and get it to work. Now I cannot install it in Windows 7, and I wonder if you know a way to get that to work.

Thank you,

Carlos

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:19 AM
  • Hello Miya & Lucas,

The reason for me to use the User Profile Hive Cleanup tool was to un/lock the "Copy to" profile function at "User Profiles". It is grayed out, and in the past I could install this tool and get it to work. Now I cannot install it in Windows 7, and I wonder if you know a way to get that to work.

Thank you,

Carlos

Carlos, the "Copy to" button is grayed out for every user account except the "Default Profile". Since Windows Vista, you must use Sysprep.exe to customize your default user profile:

How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289/en-us

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert Consumer | http://blogs.msmvps.com/dmartin/ | http://www.wintecnico.com

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:27 PM
    Answerer
  • I agree with SharkHunter--this built in functionality doesn't work well.  I have GPO set to delete profiles after a certain number of days.  I manage several computer labs and I always get multiple user folders that have not be deleted but the profile has been remove.  The Event Viewer shows an event 1533 which Microsoft seems to have no explanation for.  We need a cleanup tool that works.  I have to remove these folders manually and I have to do this on multiple computers.  Does anyone have a PowerShell script that will remove these orphan folders?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Hi Maya, I have encountered your thread before in trying to figure out why Remote sessions cause my W7 machine at work to spawn rampent "Search/Gatherer" warnings.  

I have been slow to get back to this account, having disabled "Search" rather than continue a seemingly thankless search for a solution. The "User Profile Hive cleanup" sounded like it would do the trick- until I noticed it did not apply to W7. Is the intent to install it on my server 2003? It said in the documentation that it comes installed on W Server 2003.

I see now that others (maybe many others) are having similar problems. I am going to look at group policies (on the local machine, not the server- is that correct?) to see if its a fix

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 6:22 PM
  • I`m having the same issue. I already configured the GPO as advised by Miya and I continue getting the event ID:1533(Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service)

Description:
    Windows cannot delete the profile directory C:\Users\bmayer. This error may be caused by files in this directory being used by another program.

DETAIL - The directory is not empty.

And I can't install UPHClean on W7.

Somebody have any solution?

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:25 PM