none
Problem with WPD FileSystem Volume Driver (Yellow Exclamation) RRS feed

• Question

• I recently tried plugging my digital camera (via USB) into my computer and it wasn't recognizing (it was working week(s) before).  It would make the sound that the hardware was plugged in/un-plugged, but nothing would show up under computer.  I originally thought it might be the camera but it worked under other computers.  I then checked a number of things and noticed that the Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver has a yellow exclamation mark on it.  After opening it up, it says:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

The check for solutions didn't seem to result in any solutions and update driver returns that it is all up-to-date.  I'm not sure what to do from here.  If I plug the camera into the computer, the camera driver shows up with an exclamation mark just like the WPD FileSystem Volume driver with the same problem.

Is it safe to un-install the driver and let it re-install at reboot or is there something else I should try?

I haven't done anything to this system since the camera worked previously other then installing windows updates (it is my wife's new laptop (less then two months old) so it hasn't really changed at all.  I am not sure why it would all of a sudden stop working.

Anyone have any suggestions or know what I should try?  Is there something I should check for in the registry?  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:55 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

WPD stands for Windows Portable Device. It's the driver that allows you to treat your CF and SD cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing. It is also required for ReadyBoost to work. The driver for the card reader is not installed and hence you get this error.

To resolve this issue, you may need to contact the card reader vendor/manufacturer and get the latest driver for your Windows Vista.

Meanwhile, I also suggest you first try to uninstall the current corrupted driver and reboot computer to reinstall it. Please see similar issue at:

Vista Home Premium (Code 10 error)
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2505738&SiteID=17

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Robbin Meng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:07 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

WPD stands for Windows Portable Device. It's the driver that allows you to treat your CF and SD cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing. It is also required for ReadyBoost to work. The driver for the card reader is not installed and hence you get this error.

To resolve this issue, you may need to contact the card reader vendor/manufacturer and get the latest driver for your Windows Vista.

Meanwhile, I also suggest you first try to uninstall the current corrupted driver and reboot computer to reinstall it. Please see similar issue at:

Vista Home Premium (Code 10 error)
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2505738&SiteID=17

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Robbin Meng

Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous suggestions should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng

• Proposed as answer by shanuasr Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:56 PM
    Monday, March 3, 2008 3:22 AM
  •  

Having same issue as reported above, have yellow exclamation in Device Manager for the WPD FileSystem Volume Driver, when going into Properties for WPD the Device status reflects:

"This device cannot start (Code 10)'

Also having same issue with our digital camera (that was previously working fine on this very computer several weeks ago) we get same yellow exclamation for the device (Digital Still Camera) and the same Devise Status in Device Manager. When the camera is plugged into the computer via USB, I get the following error dialog box.

"Device driver software was not successfully installed" Digital Still Camera "Failed"

Problem is the device (Canon XTi) uses PTP and there are no device drivers for Vista per the Canon support site. I've talked to the support reps at Cannon, they claim we have to install the PTP driver but I cannot find any infomation on doing this.

I've tried deleting the drivers and rebooting but both problems remain. Everything is up to date so I'm not sure what to do from here. Issue appears to be OS/driver related, running Vista Home Premium, where do I go from here?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:16 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem. My two Canon cameras were recognized only a few weeks ago.  Now my Vista Business Edition running on a Toshiba Portege laptop is not able to load the drivers.  "Microsoft WPD filesystem volume Driver" and "Digital Still Camera" have the yellow exclamation mark.  If I try to update the drivers, it says they are both up to date (searching C:\ and subfolders).  Both have the now famous Code(10).

Everything else works on the laptop, including the SD card reader.

I want to re-iterate - it all worked before.  Now not.  My Windows Vista is fully up to date, using Windows Update.

Please don't tell me to contact the camera manufacturer.  These are microsoft drivers, not Canon.

This problem has been on various forums for at least a year. What is taking Microsoft so long to fix this?   And when can we expect a fix?

Regards,

Malcolm

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:07 AM
  • this problem aint fixed. every time i boot i get 'driver installation failed' for wpd drivers. Its not card specific. How do i get the wpd driver?

Monday, October 27, 2008 3:28 AM
  • I have this problem on 2 Vista-64 systems. One, an ASUS G2 laptop, has it with the built-in card reader. The other (my desktop) has it with second reader built in to my Dell 2405FPW monitor. The problem in both cases is exactly as described, with the additional annoyance that every time I reboot the system I'm prompted to load the driver, even after I've selected "Don't show this message again for this device."

The interesting thing about my desktop system is that I have it set up to dual boot Windows 2008 server enterprise. On the W2K8 system, the driver loads fine, and the device functions perfectly. It is only Vista that has the problem. Both OS are 64-bit and up to date on patches.

Edit: I was able to work around the problem on both my computers by assigning a drive letter to the USB device. The exact procedure is as follows: (1) assign a drive letter in disk manager, (2) disable and re-enable the device in device manager, and (3) rescan for hardware changes in device manager. I don't much mind doing this on the laptop, but my desktop has a lot of devices attached to it, including a bunch of network drives. It is a pain to have to assign drive letters to USB devices. I thought the need to use drive letters was supposed to have been removed a few versions of Windows ago. I will also note that the problem appears to be fixed in Windows 2008 server.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:16 PM
  • For what it's worth...

I was having a similar problem with my Blackberry's removeable storage.  Same problem with the WPD FileSystem Volume Driver.

Here's how I fixed the Blackberry.  You can use the same aproach for any USB removeable for Vista or XP.

1. My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings.  This takes you into the system properties like in XP.  Go into Environment variables and create a new System varable called devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices  (I don't think it's case sensitive).  Set this to a value of 1.

2. Go into device manager.  From the view menu, choose "show hidden devices".  Because of the environment variable, you now see all devices not in use.

3. Uninstall any "Universal Serial Bus controllers" not in use (greyed out).  Also I uninstalled any storage volumes, storage volume shadow copies, and disk drives also not in use.  You should see your offending USB device in one of these areas.

Now try plugging your device in and see if it now detects.  You should be ok now, even after a reboot.

-Paul
    • Proposed as answer by Paul H NJ Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:43 PM
  • paul said:

1. My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings.  This takes you into the system properties like in XP.  Go into Environment variables and create a new System varable called devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices  (I don't think it's case sensitive).  Set this to a value of 1.

if i have multiple thumb drives that i use in differing amounts, should i set the value to whatever the maximum is i would have at once, or the number of thumb drives i own, or should it rremain at one?  paul or anyone else who might know, this would ber really helpful for me to sort this out.

thanks to all of the above helpers.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Thank you so much Paul.  I uninstalled the devices, plugged my camera back it and it worked perfectly.   I was afraid to delete all those other things.  Don't know what they're for.  Pam
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 11:46 PM
  • I am having a very similar problem. My Fujifilm camera is no longer working with my Vista system. Just like above, windows keep telling me that the PTP drivers are missing and tries to install them, but no joy. Also the WPD drivers do the same. I can use most flash drives, but when using them Vista is continually trying update the drivers,..... I cannot get the camera to work.

Note... the camera used to come up with the model name (Fujifilm F47fd).. now it just says PTP camera.,... always says failed at the end.

Why if this problem has been around since....Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:55am, that microsoft still haven't added a fix to this??

I have also seen solutions on forums talking about the .inf files, and the infcache files... this does not work either. None of the above solutions help either.
    Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Well, Paul has come closer than anyone in solving this problem. I agree with the guy who dated the problem back to mid 2008 with NO FIX BY MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My problem is better, but not fixed. I guess I have to pony up to Win7 since Vista sucks so badly. I miss my stable XP.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:52 AM
  • Thank you so much Paul! Been struggling with this PITA for quite some time!
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:11 AM
  • I was connected to my Mothers PC and checked her device manager and saw (microsoft WDF filesystem volume driver). I tried to fix it remontely but could not. I went over to her house and checked the PC and found her CD Rom was missing. I opened the case and there it was, the sada cable not connected the the CD Rom. After making the repair, then closing the case I booted it up and there was her CD Rom and the (microsoft WDF filesystem volume driver) was fixed aslo. Just one way that worked to fix the code 10 might help others.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Thank you so much, finally my problem solved :)
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:45 AM
  • If still doesnt work try this:

2. Go into device manager.  From the view menu, choose "show hidden devices".  Because of the environment variable, you now see all devices not in use.

3. Uninstall any "Universal Serial Bus controllers" not in use (greyed out).  Also I uninstalled any storage volumes, storage volume shadow copies, and disk drives also not in use.  You should see your offending USB device in one of these areas.

4. STILL DIDNT WORK!! Then:

4.1 Make sure your cellphone detects and see the content of the card. Then, right click MY COMPUTER - Choose Disk Mngmt- Look for the storage device in trouble (you will see that it doesnt have an assigned letter yet) - Add a letter to it - Check and you'll see the drive.

• Proposed as answer by Rocxy Lemmon Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:06 AM
  • This here did the trick :) I gave the drive missing a letter a drive letter and Wala! my phone drive showed up and then I uninstalled the driver from device manager(WPD FileSystem one and then refreshed it and it all went away and now under portable devices it says E:/   So Thank You So Much and I don't know how this happened but am I glad you gave your 2 cents to this salution on here..... Thank you so so much for your time thanks thanks thanks :) I love this guy.... Yeahhhhh!

Party in my head Oh yeahhh! lol

If still doesnt work try this:

4.1 Make sure your cellphone detects and see the content of the card. Then, right click MY COMPUTER - Choose Disk Mngmt- Look for the storage device in trouble (you will see that it doesnt have an assigned letter yet) - Add a letter to it - Check and you'll see the drive.

• Edited by Rocxy Lemmon Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:51 PM forgot some words due to the excitment
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:49 PM
  • hi

I just assigned the drive letter like you said in point 4.1 and it worked !

thanks Patricio16

Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:09 AM
  • This here did the trick :) I gave the drive missing a letter a drive letter and Wala! my phone drive showed up and then I uninstalled the driver from device manager(WPD FileSystem one and then refreshed it and it all went away and now under portable devices it says E:/   So Thank You So Much and I don't know how this happened but am I glad you gave your 2 cents to this salution on here..... Thank you so so much for your time thanks thanks thanks :) I love this guy.... Yeahhhhh!

Party in my head Oh yeahhh! lol

If still doesnt work try this:

Okay, this fixed my stuff, 99%, but I still had the yellow ! in my Device Manager under "Microsoft WPD filesystem volume Driver". Removing all the dead USB devices worked wonders. I must have had way over 50 of them, more than half gray. I took them all out. Plugged in Motorola Razr Maxx and Windows 7 Ultra 64 bit started to install all the drivers again, this time, they ALL installed. Previously, XT912 driver always failed. Looked into Disk Manager, found the phone drive and gave it a drive letter, it was the only "drive" that did not have one. Great. Now the window for it popped up. Besides internal phone memory, this phone has two SD cards, one is built in and you cannot remove. The 16GB card showed up with drive letter, the other one did not show. Once given a drive letter, I now have both "drives" open in Explorer and can work with files. All seemed remarkably well, but the yellow ! on "Microsoft WPD filesystem volume Driver" listed under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" was still there, *something* USB was not working. Ahhh, this makes sense. I have many USB devices, too many for the few ports that I have so I resorted to using USB hubs. I find the very cheap $3 ones in the plastic bucket at the cash register of Office Depot work best. What was not working?

I checked my USB microphone, it was working. Webcam, working, infrared receiver for "Green Button" Media Center remote control did not work. Pressing the volume button on the remote did not flash the internal red LED in the receiver, indicating it has received a signal. Ah, we are getting somewhere. Unplugged it, heard the "thunk' from speakers, plugged it back in, "thunk", still not working. Sometimes USB hubs do not work or the device is "finicky" about which hub it likes. I now plugged the IR receiver into an older 4 port non-powered hub, "thunk", installing drivers, works!

Checked the device manager, no yellow or red marks, all is now copacetic.

Moral of The Story is:
    ALL of the tips worked, but it was a cumulative effort to use all the tips, one at a time, note the progress, and press on. Use your head. If you see the yellow mark in "Microsoft WPD filesystem volume Driver" and THAT is located under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", the problem is one of your USB devices is NOT working. Test them all, find the one that does not work, unplug and try plugging back into a different port, especially if you use USB hubs. Let the drivers install, and your problems should be over. The fellow with the CD issue did not see his issue under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", it was elsewhere and he saw that she had no CD drive, even though physically one was present. Unless, she was using a CDROM in a USB drive case, that is.

By the way, I found that almost all external power USB hubs suck and cause more problems than they fix. The $3 cheapies work the best. I bought a $45 Belkin powered, 7 port USB hub. Without the power supply connected, it worked reasonably well as a USB hub. But I wanted a "powered" USB hub, that is why I spent all that money. But once the power supply was plugged in, the giant hub got hot in several minutes, the power supply got hot, and the thing stopped working. Too late for a refund now, but I learned something. Some devices like external non-powered drives do need more power. What do do about this I do not know, but the cheapie hubs really do work quite well and remember, not all USB devices work well or at all when plugged into hubs. My WD Passport non-powered USB drive works well without any external power. I bought a USB drive case that has it's own power supply. I can put any hard drive in it easily because it has 4, top of case thumbscrews. It can take IDE drives, SATA drives, and even laptop drives. Just the ticket to rescue files from a dead PC. The drive case is USB 2.0.

Thank you everybody for your help. I hope my contribution helps someone else.

• Edited by Ohmster Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:01 AM More information
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:55 AM
  • Veo que es muy viejo el post, pero por si alguien sí pasa por aqui y tienen éste problema con win7, les dejo una continuacion de como lo e hecho yo. A mi me ha pasado con una memoria SD, Que al formatearla desmonté la unidad y luego no habia manera de activar el puerto.

La solución es ponerle una letra manualmente a la unidad con problemas. 

Para poder cambiar la letra de la unidad puedes seguir éstos pasos: 

1 - Haz clic con el botón derecho sobre mi pc. 

2 -  Selecciona la opcion Administrar

3 - En la ventana administración de equipos, haz clic en administración de discos, dentro de la opción Almacenamiento. 

4- En la parte derecha de la ventana, verás que todos tienen un  n º en vez de una letra, si no sabes cual es mete memoria / pendrive en el puerto en cuestión y vereis como aparece cargado, Recordar el  n º  y sacar la mem / pend,  selecciona la unidad a la qué quieres poner letra, con el Botón Derecho del Ratón.

5 - En el menú contextual que aparece, selecciona la opción cambio de la letra y rutas de acceso de unidad, ojo, si hay algo dentro del puerto, no os dará la opción, por eso debeis dejar el puerto libre para tener la opción.

Un saludo, espero os ayude.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation from Google:

I see it is an old post, but if someone does pass by here and have this problem with win7, I leave as a continuation of and made ​​me. Happened to me with an SD memory, which dismounted reformatting the drive and then had no way to activate the port.

The solution is to put a drive letter manually with problems.

To change the drive letter you can follow these steps:

1 - Click the right mouse button on my pc.

2 - Select the Manage option.

3 - In the Computer Management window, click Disk Management in the Storage option.

4 - In the right part of the window, you'll see that they all have a number instead of a letter, if you do not know which is memory sticks / flash drive into the port in question and see how it is loaded, Remember the number and remove mem / pend, select the drive you want to put words with the Right Mouse Button.

5 - In the context menu that appears, select the letter change and drive paths, eye, if something within the port, will not give you the option, so you must leave the free port to have the option.

Greetings, I hope helps.

..:: Tambe ::..

• Edited by tambezuri Monday, February 18, 2013 3:32 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 3:10 PM
  • thanks work very wel your solution
    Monday, May 27, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Got Windows Update.Now usb code 31 volume drivers.Camera Ipod wont sync but my built in sds card reader works.What nonsense is this?ASUS Phenom ll 64bit windows 7 pro.No forum solutions have worked.sys/scannow fixed some files but reports corrupted files still around.It wont let me read log file when even changing permissions.What a viscious loop.
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:59 PM
  • F***ING awesome!

I have signed in to technet just to thank you!

PROBLEM RESOLVED

Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:39 PM
  • I recently tried plugging my digital camera (via USB) into my computer and it wasn't recognizing (it was working week(s) before).  It would make the sound that the hardware was plugged in/un-plugged, but nothing would show up under computer.  I originally thought it might be the camera but it worked under other computers.  I then checked a number of things and noticed that the Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver has a yellow exclamation mark on it.  After opening it up, it says:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

The check for solutions didn't seem to result in any solutions and update driver returns that it is all up-to-date.  I'm not sure what to do from here.  If I plug the camera into the computer, the camera driver shows up with an exclamation mark just like the WPD FileSystem Volume driver with the same problem.

Is it safe to un-install the driver and let it re-install at reboot or is there something else I should try?

I haven't done anything to this system since the camera worked previously other then installing windows updates (it is my wife's new laptop (less then two months old) so it hasn't really changed at all.  I am not sure why it would all of a sudden stop working.

Anyone have any suggestions or know what I should try?  Is there something I should check for in the registry?  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I had the same install problem with my cannon powershot hd camera. the software install failed. have to return camera if I cannot solve this issue. want to have a hd camera cause the cards are all hd now. need camera for my work.

walter shebib

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:25 AM
  • I have to upgrade to hd cause all the cards for the cameras are hd now. need this for my work to take pics of appliances for sale to post them. never thought I would have issues on such a minor thing as a small camera install. I installed my other camera but it wasn't hd. everything is going to hd now. cannot buy cards memory for my other camera. they are all hd.

walter shebib

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:30 AM
  • I am not vista. why am I called vista all the time. this is a windows 7 64 bit hp pavilion elite desktop with home network to another hp pavilion desktop running windows 7 32 bit pc.the card is a normal new sd hd card it is not corrupt. it is brand new and so is the camera. and there is no vista . the windows filing system could be corrupt. my pc is full of Microsoft data. just full. yours walter shebib

walter shebib

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:37 AM
  • you are mis-informed sorry I am wasting my words. did not use card reader I used a install disc for the cannon A3500IS hd compact camera. that's all it isn't complicated.

walter shebib

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:40 AM
  • For what it's worth...

I was having a similar problem with my Blackberry's removeable storage.  Same problem with the WPD FileSystem Volume Driver.

Here's how I fixed the Blackberry.  You can use the same aproach for any USB removeable for Vista or XP.

Now try plugging your device in and see if it now detects.  You should be ok now, even after a reboot.

-Paul

Thank you Paul, I had an extra blank drive I could not get rid of in Disk Management, and had the same WPD File System Error under portable drive in Device Manager. I use Windows 7. By getting rid of the"Universal Serial Bus controllers" for Mass Media Device that was there when no such device was plugged in it solved both problems.
    Monday, January 12, 2015 5:34 AM
  • If still doesnt work try this:

4. I did it, thanks for the procedure. It is easy.
    Monday, March 21, 2016 6:02 AM