none
Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• If you have one of these graphics cards in the lists below, please note that WDDM 1.1 (win7) graphics drivers do not exist, but WDDM 1.0 (Vista) drivers will still work with the graphics card and win7.

a name: ati
    Older ATI graphics card users:

ATI has discontinued drivers for these older graphics cards, including Mobile and All-in-Wonder variants , in order to provide better drivers for newer Radeon HD cards.

These older cards do not have WDDM 1.1 (win7) drivers, or drivers specifically for Ubuntu 9.04, but they do have WDDM 1.0 (Vista) drivers and will run on win7 including running the Aero effects.
    The last driver version to include support for older cards is 9.3 or 9.3.1

Note that All-in-Wonder cards still do not have
    TV/Capture functionality in Windows 7 no matter what driver you install.

Affected cards:
    • ATI Radeon 9500 Series
    • ATI Radeon 9550 Series
    • ATI Radeon 9600 Series
    • ATI Radeon 9700 Series
    • ATI Radeon 9800 Series
    • ATI Radeon X300 Series
    • ATI Radeon X550 Series
    • ATI Radeon X600 Series
    • ATI Radeon X700 Series
    • ATI Radeon X800 Series
    • ATI Radeon X850 Series
    • ATI Radeon X1050 Series
    • ATI Radeon X1300 Series
    • ATI Radeon X1550 Series
    • ATI Radeon X1600 Series
    • ATI Radeon X1650 Series
    • ATI Radeon X1800 Series
    • ATI Radeon X1900 Series
    • ATI Radeon Xpress Series
      (those are onboard cards)
    • ATI Radeon X1200 Series
    • ATI Radeon X1250 Series
    • ATI Radeon X2100 Series

As pointed out below, the cards below the ATI Radeon 9500 series also do not have win7 drivers, but drivers for these cards were stopped before ATI stopped the drivers for the cards above, this is why they are not in the list. The list comes from ATI and is all the cards affected in the latest driver change ; it does not include all the ATI cards without win7 drivers.
    These older ATI cards with series below Radeon 9500 may not run Aero or have Vista drivers, depending on what series of graphics card you have.

(Edit: looks like some new drivers ATI has made support these cards, if you want newer drivers than 9.3 try the 9.8 or 9.11 drivers, however I'm still not convinced that these new drivers support these cards.)

a name: intel
    Intel 8 series chipset users:

A few months before Vista's release, Intel started abandoning the 8 series chipsets, as a result WDDM 1.0 (Vista) graphics drivers were never made for the onboard graphics. These chipsets do not have WDDM 1.0 or 1.1 graphics drivers, only XP drivers. In order to use the Aero effects or have at least 800x600 screen resolution (without installing a XP driver), you will have to install a dedicated graphics card and disable the onboard card in the BIOS.

Affected chipsets:
    • Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family
    • Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family
    • Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82830M Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller
    • Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller (I have successfully installed a XP driver on win7 for the 82810 controller)
    See here to identify which chipset you have

a name: nvidia
    NVIDIA Geforce 4 MX or 5 FX series cards users:

Geforce 4 MX:
    NVIDIA stopped making drivers for these series cards before Vista came out, as a result, there are no WDDM (1.0 or 1.1) drivers for the 4 MX series , only XP drivers . In order to use the Aero effects or have at least 800x600 screen resolution (without installing a XP driver), you will have to install at least a NVIDIA Geforce 5 FX or ATI RADEON 9500.

Geforce 5 FX:

NVIDIA stopped making drivers for the 5 FX series a few years ago, so it only has WDDM 1.0 (Vista) drivers.

a name: drivers
    Get Graphics card drivers:

For ATI cards:
    Click here to go to ATI driver search page

For NVIDIA cards:
    Click here to go to NVIDIA driver search page

(Note about linking to this post: Each section of cards has <a name> code before it, use the code given preceded by a pound (#) sign, to skip to that part of the post when linking to this post, e.g.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/243faae6-75c9-40f9-b946-100befe4b6f3#intel to skip to the Intel card portion of the post)
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Friday, February 5, 2010 8:09 PM <small> support taken out
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:25 PM

All replies

• Hi JoelbX,

Your affected card list must start with ATI Radeon 9200 Series , i have this card in my system and ist also not working 100% !!

Regards, Koelis
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Thank you, I was talking about the recent driver change which affected the cards in the list, your card had drivers stopped for it a long time before ATI stopped making drivers for your cards, this is why is is not in the list.
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7 (you are already here)
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:06 PM edit signature :)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:57 PM
  • http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Note: ATI All-in-Wonder™ cards function with AMD Windows Vista-Ready display drivers in Windows 7. However there is currently no software application which provides TV/Capture functionality for All-in-Wonder™ cards in Windows 7.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Are you saying that I missed a couple of cards in my list? Please explain your reply Rick.

Edit: Ah, I get it, but please read the thread before posting, as I said "ATI has discontinued drivers for these older graphics cards, including Mobile and All-in-Wonder variants, in order to provide better drivers for newer Radeon HD cards." so no need to say it again...

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Download or Visit websites
    Stuff for win7 launch party hosts
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Are you saying that I missed a couple of cards in my list? Please explain your reply Rick.

Edit: Ah, I get it, but please read the thread before posting, as I said "ATI has discontinued drivers for these older graphics cards, including Mobile and All-in-Wonder variants, in order to provide better drivers for newer Radeon HD cards." so no need to say it again...

- JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Download or Visit websites

Actually what ATI is saying is there are Vista drivers for some ATI All-in-Wonders cards that will work in Windows 7, but the capture function will not work at this time.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:39 PM
  • OK, You must understand that all the ATI cards listed here have Vista drivers that work in win7, not just the All-in-Wonder cards have working Vista drivers...

Thanks for info about the capture stuff, will add to OP...
    - JoelbX
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:01 PM
  • I'm installing Windows 7 this weekend. I was collecting all the needed drivers and see the radeon 9800 pro won't be supported. My question is does the windows Vista driver (9-11_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc) work correctly in windows 7. 

Thanks for any feedback,

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Supposedly the 9.11 drivers are win7 drivers and can run the cards moved to legacy support.
    - JoelbX   'Gadget' programs
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:02 PM edit sig
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:37 PM
  • didnt work 9 11 and 9 12, i have radeon x1600 benq p52, i dl all versions of catalyst mob and simpl and use mobile modder and all useless....

some one know somethink work?????? windows 7 or ati make all my life on XP I RLY WANT PLAY !!!!!!!!
     btw sry for eng....
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:19 PM
  • didnt work 9 11 and 9 12, i have radeon x1600 benq p52, i dl all versions of catalyst mob and simpl and use mobile modder and all useless....

some one know somethink work?????? windows 7 or ati make all my life on XP I RLY WANT PLAY !!!!!!!!
     btw sry for eng....
    If the 9.11 or 9.12 doesn't work, try the 9.3 or 9.8 driver versions.

If I remember right CCC had problems with win7 during the RC stage, don't know if they ever got it fixed (I think they did) but I would say don't use the CCC apps.

- JoelbX    'Gadget' programs
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:03 PM edit sig
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:45 PM

btw sry for eng....
    If the 9.11 or 9.12 doesn't work, try the 9.3 or 9.8 driver versions.

If I remember right CCC had problems with win7 during the RC stage, don't know if they ever got it fixed (I think they did) but I would say don't use the CCC apps.

I read about 9.3 from internet, i dl and modify for mobile and one more useless driver. Load any game with full screen and notebook have permoment lag... reboot only... without any drivers old games work but with low quility...
    btw i try drivers only and full pack( with CCC) didnt mater
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:01 PM
  • I rly dont want use xp again, Windows 7 work more faster and better then XP
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:02 PM
  • What are the games you are attempting to play? Have you made sure they are compatible with win7, as win7 is not as compatible with old games as XP is.

If you must use XP for old games on your computer (btw what are it's specs?) I suggest dual-booting win7 and XP.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:11 PM
  • I talking about Warcraft 3 TFT and World of Warcraft witch work well on Windows 7, couse my friends have Windows 7 too.
    By The Way - btw
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:16 PM
  • i dont play in new games, only old classic Dota(Warcraft 3) and pvp WOW =)

P.S.
    dual booting its a key but i cant look at XP after GREAT perfomance win 7...

Monday, January 4, 2010 4:17 PM
  • What are the specs of your computer and what are the system requirements for the games?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:29 PM
  • http://benq.ru/products/joybook/index.cfm/page/specifications/product/696

http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=ru_RU&articleId=28241&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=4484

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/requirements/technical.html
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:45 PM
  • I am understand that wow didnt support windows 7 but all guys witch i know who use win7 didnt have any problem.

and what about games... all games what i have make win crash in full screen mode... counter strike, nox, wow, war3, poker client, defence greed and many more...
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:48 PM
  • hmmm... With the graphics card that your particular computer has, it won't play the games very well anyways since it is running at the min. game requirements. You probably need to either dual-boot XP or get a computer with a better graphics card... not much you can do with this computer since the drivers won't work and it has a old graphics card.

Have you tried using un-modified-for-mobility drivers?
    have you toned down the graphics quality of the games to see if they run better?
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:04 PM edit sig
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Since a lot of changes to the OS happened from XP -> Vista, and those changes have carried over to win7, older games made pre-Vista will not run well, if at all, in win7 since they were designed for XP. There is some exceptions, as some games still run, but mostly they don't run well.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:00 PM
  • i understand about poor video card... but Warcraft 3 and WoW working rly good on xp no lags and no problems - "just play".
    The bigest problem that games didnt start... double click and all crash... i cant set any options.

And what about un-modified-for-mobility drivers?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Since a lot of changes to the OS happened from XP -> Vista, and those changes have carried over to win7, older games made pre-Vista will not run well, if at all, in win7 since they were designed for XP. There is some exceptions, as some games still run, but mostly they don't run well.
    - JoelbX    My favorite threads | Computer tips
          Email me | 'Gadget' programs                (Help me build a new PC )
    with not mobility cards all ok, i told about it one post up, all my friends and internet mates have win7 and warcraft 3 and wow work well... its just one problem with mobility crads i think
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Probably is a problem with your graphics card...

"And what about un-modified-for-mobility drivers?"

Get the drivers for your card off of ATI's site and don't modify them, just install it.
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:04 PM edit sig
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Hi...mine got onboard GC ATI RADEON XPRESS 200, P4 2.66GHz.....aero effect works just fine with latest ati driver.....can see glass features BUT  does win 7 aero same like vista aero whereby at task bar (beside START WINDOWS) got layer look alike folder(side by side when u scroll mouse button it will swing??????
    Monday, August 30, 2010 4:28 PM