Windows Update Error 80071a91 Get Help doesnt provide an Answer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have seen a lot of posts regarding this error but not on Forums and no answers elsewhere so am hoping an MS Engineer can shed some light on this error.

Windows Update Error 80071a91 Event Viewer has 4375 Error in System around the time of installation

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB929123_3 (Security Update) into Resolved(Resolved) state

I have deleted the Download Directory in case of corrupt cab's and still no joy, the CBS File is 45mb in size now but this is happening way to often and is leaving machines not updated..

Something worth noting is that I upgrading my Sony VAIO Pc from Home Premium to Ultimate and wondered whether this would be a cause of the problem.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:33 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Friends,

Please check TxR folder in (c:\windows\system32\config).
    If it is not there create it and issue will be resolved.

If not follow following commands.

1. Bring up an elevated (Administrator) command prompt
    2. Execute the following commands sequentially:
    a. fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
    b. cd %windir%\system32\config\txr
    c. attrib -r -s -h *
    d. del *

3.Type: Cd c:\windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
    Type: Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
    Type: Del *.TM*

Issue will get fixed.

Thanks and regards,
    Vivek

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, February 2, 2011 8:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:21 AM
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:03 PM

All replies

• I get this same Windows Update error trying to update my Vista computer.  It doesn’t process any updates and gives me this number along with other error numbers depending on what update I’m trying to process.  It downloads everything fine but just doesn’t install the actual updates.

Any help would be appreciated!

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:13 PM
  • Hi

I am corresponding with someone from MS so hope to get a solution soon and will let people know asap

Or if there is anyone whom has an idea please post it Wink

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:27 PM
  • Good afternoon.

I don't think I've posted here before. If I'm in the wrong place, please point me where I should go.

I've been working with Vista (mostly testing multi boot possibilites) for the past few weeks.  I've been getting the errors you folks are seeing the "4375".  They seem to come in a few varieties.

Here are a couple of the 4375's I got today

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package Package_1_for_KB933928~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.6 () into Staged(Staged) state

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package Microsoft-Windows-DreamScene-Content-Pack~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.6000.16461 () into Absent(Absent) state

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package Package_1_for_KB929916~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.7 () into Resolved(Resolved) state

I noticed the "31bf3856ad364e35" shows up in each of these error entries, under the <Packagingxxx> tag. This one goes with the KB933928 update:

<PackageIdentifier>Package_1_for_KB933928~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.6</PackageIdentifier>

<ReleaseType>

</ReleaseType>

<PackageState>Staged</PackageState>

<PackageAssembly>Package_1_for_KB933928~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.6</PackageAssembly>

A few days ago, I was looking into a different problem and saw a posting on a website that mentioned there were security errors/issues with Vista's Resource Manager.

URL: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=680635&SiteID=1

Date Noted: July 8, 2007

Exerpts:

"I was checking compatibility of one of my MFC application in Vista OS. Usually if the MFC shared dlls are not present, i used to copy them in WinSXS under folder with the required folder name like x86_Microsoft.VC80.xxxx. (Installing VC++ Redist also didnt work in my case.) And this would make the application work perfectly.

When i tried to do the same thing in Vista OS, it failed to create the folder. I removed the read only attributes and tried again but in vain. The error i am getting is "User didnt have enough permission to perform this task" but I logged in as Administrator.

I tried to change the security attibutes of Administrator but could not find the Users under Computer Management.

Is there any solution / work around for this issue?"

AND

"You're running into a new feature called Windows Resource Protection. It is the successor of Windows File Protection on XP. If you look at the security properties of the mfc file, you'll notice that only the Trusted Installer has full rights; even System and Administrator have read-only permissions."

Today, I found this website

URL:  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/En-US/library/aa528754.aspx

Date Noted: July 11, 2007

How to: Secure an Application Using a Custom Policy Assertion

1. Open the Web service project in Visual Studio 2005.

2. Register WSE configuration section handler by adding a <section> Element to the Web service's Web.config file.

The name and type attributes must be set to microsoft.web.services3 and Microsoft.Web.Services3.Configuration.WebServicesConfiguration, Microsoft.Web.Services3, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, respectively."

To secure the client using a custom policy assertion

1. Open the client project in Visual Studio 2005.

2. Register the WSE configuration section handler by adding a <section> Element to the client application's app.config file.

The name and type attributes must be set to microsoft.web.services3 and Microsoft.Web.Services3.Configuration.WebServicesConfiguration, Microsoft.Web.Services3, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, respectively.

The following code example registers the WSE configuration section handler."

Most of this is over my head, and something most folks know, but I'm just throwing it out there. It can't hurt to ask...

The contents of the the failed update "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\35326f8fc2784fdc71b585869c9944a8\Windows6.0-KB933928-x86-EXPRESS.cab" file " _manifest_.cix.xml" has alot of refences to "package_5_for_kb933928_bf~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.6.mum"

I took a peek into "C:\Windows\winsxs", and there are a few folders with those numbers in it's name. Like this one, but NOT with that trailing value of 6.0.1.6.  At least that I could find.

"msil_ehiextens_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_fb94fa4d09f21e89"

All the folders in that location are protected, even Adminstrators and System restricted to "Read & execute", "List folder contents" and "read".  TrustedInstaller is the only account that has full access,

So, thats a long way around to get to here, but I think the installers fail because whatever process is trying to load up the MSDN Visual Studio folders/files doesn't have permission to do so.  And/or the files are supposed to be there, but they aren't, and you end up with a lot of errors.  Or not. 

I could be wrong, but I was elected the Mayor of Coincidence Town a while back..  Nice place to visit, but I only stopped there because a friend of a friend, knew someone that I knew, so it was kind of a coincidence that I was in town the day of the election. Hmmmm....  Oh, you know what I mean.

Hopefully, this will click a switch and someone will figure it out.  I might play with creating an account and granting it all privlieges...not sure if I can, but I can give it a shot.  I'll just make a nice safe image if the build to recover to after I've blown it all the heck with my crazy schemes. 

Fred, have you seen my box of Vista around here?  Neither have I...Lucy, have you been playing with Vista down at the club again? You've got some 'splainin to do!!

k~~~~

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:05 PM
  •  

Hi Friends,

Please check TxR folder in (c:\windows\system32\config).
    If it is not there create it and issue will be resolved.

If not follow following commands.

c. attrib -r -s -h *
    d. del *

Issue will get fixed.

Thanks and regards,
    Vivek

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, February 2, 2011 8:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:21 AM
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Thank you, Vivekyadav75!
    I had the same problem and this helped me to get rid of it.
    For people who don't have the Administrator account enabled I can recommend:
    http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/logon-windows-vista-as-administrator/

• Proposed as answer by ufasel Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ufasel Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:22 AM
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:02 PM
  • "C:\WINDOWS\System32\SMI\Store\Machine>Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
    Parameter format not correct -"

Everything work good up until this point.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Thank you, Vivek!  I couldn't believe it - just deleting those .TM files actually worked!  My stupid Vista update that's been failing for a week straight finally installed.  Thanks so much!
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:23 AM
  • Vivek....

Dude....

Dude...

Dude...

I've been trying to fix this problem for a client for a week and your response was the only solutions I've found to work. 

I had tried the fsutil resource etc etc command that people have posted around and that didn't do the trick. Also tried some registry fixes from the MS kb and that stuff didn't work. I started to do the commands you listed above and the files in the TxR folder were being used so I booted into the Trinity Rescue Kit CD and recreated the folder. The ...Store\Machine folder was empty so I didn't touch anything there but after I restarted the computer...sure enough...the issue was resolved. 

Thank you very very very much. 

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hi

I have seen a lot of posts regarding this error but not on Forums and no answers elsewhere so am hoping an MS Engineer can shed some light on this error.

Windows Update Error 80071a91 Event Viewer has 4375 Error in System around the time of installation

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB929123_3 (Security Update) into Resolved(Resolved) state

I have deleted the Download Directory in case of corrupt cab's and still no joy, the CBS File is 45mb in size now but this is happening way to often and is leaving machines not updated..

Something worth noting is that I upgrading my Sony VAIO Pc from Home Premium to Ultimate and wondered whether this would be a cause of the problem.

Thanks

Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Delete all files from the folder C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR and run this command from a command prompt with admin rights:

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

Reboot and install the updates again.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:40 PM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Thank you for your help:) It took me several tries but finally I entered all the information correct.  Thanks again. All my updates are loading as we speak..
    Friday, March 11, 2011 7:44 PM
  • I am getting the following message - 'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.'

- Any suggestions here?

Monday, March 14, 2011 1:11 AM
  • I am getting the following message - 'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.'

- Any suggestions here?

Getting the same message, any suggestions anyone?

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Vivek,

You are the man!!!  I have screwed around with this error all week, gone thru both Lenovo and MS's so called corporate support experts with no results.  The MS expert told me I would need to insert my recovery disk, which is embedded in the computer and needs to be burned onto CD's and DVD's.  The Lenovo people told me that I would have to buy a new copy of Windows 7 from MS as the Lenovo recovery disk is only a mirror of the system and in order to use it would require me completely wiping my hard drive, whereas the MS recovery tool could fix individual file issues.  I can't imagine selling a top end computer with no way to fix an operating system file without wiping the HD.  

I also tried several other forums and their fixes with no positive results.  Yours works and works quickly.

Thanks much my friend!!!!!!

TS

Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Incredible - only fix that works, i take my giant hat off to Vivek.  For good measure I ran these then restarted in Safe Mode and re-ran 2b through to the end of 3, restarted and updates are installing!

I got a few access denied errors, but this didn't matter and it still did the trick.

Only thing was running step 3 second line with an all lower case "attrib".

Vivek, you can add me to the growing list of people indebted to you.

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:39 PM

- Any suggestions here?

When I try the method below, I get the "'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" too.  Does anyone have any further ideas?

c. attrib -r -s -h *
    d. del *

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:34 AM
  • same problem here. been working on this for weeks now

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:14 AM
  • "C:\WINDOWS\System32\SMI\Store\Machine>Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
    Parameter format not correct -"

Everything work good up until this point.

Im having the same problem, then if I continue with the list I get  "The process cannot access the file because its in uses  .. uh by a Schema.DAT file? 
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:11 AM
  • I've seen chkdsk clear that particular error from attrib.

--
    --
    "Ice1304" wrote in message news:a46d2f96-3535-4bea-afa4-06965eda832d...
    > "C:\WINDOWS\System32\SMI\Store\Machine>Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
    > Parameter format not correct -"
    >
    > Everything work good up until this point.
    >
    >
    > Im having the same problem, then if I continue with the list I get "The
    > process cannot access the file because its in uses .. uh by a Schema.DAT
    > file?

Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Attrib must be attrib

the above one solves the "parameter format not correct.
    For the problem that process is in use i would try a cleanboot of windows ? .
    see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Hi Vivek

I am the original poster

I have tried your steps and they do not work. Here is the log of my steps for your review

I am still getting the same error codes. What should I try next

(Also to add, I tried 3 times, once in safe mode for the edits, once with no reboot and once with a reboot)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd\

C:\>fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\>cd %windir%\system32\config\txr

C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR>attrib -r -s -h *

C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR>del *
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{016888cd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TM.blf
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{016888cd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TMContaine
    r00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{016888cd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TMContaine
    r00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{df1ddb86-e0af-11e1-9688-f80f4114b169}.TxR.0.regt
    rans-ms
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{df1ddb86-e0af-11e1-9688-f80f4114b169}.TxR.1.regt
    rans-ms
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{df1ddb86-e0af-11e1-9688-f80f4114b169}.TxR.2.regt
    rans-ms
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{df1ddb86-e0af-11e1-9688-f80f4114b169}.TxR.blf

C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR>cd c:\windows\system32\smi\store\machine

c:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine>attrib -a -h -s *.TM*

c:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine>del *.TM*
    c:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\SCHEMA.DAT{4bfa528d-ddde-11e1-a288-f80f411
    4b169}.TM.blf
    c:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\SCHEMA.DAT{4bfa528d-ddde-11e1-a288-f80f411
    4b169}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms
    4b169}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms

c:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine>

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Do you have a repair CD for your computer or windows installation CD?

Start your computer from the CDROM. Then choose repair your system. Then you have a chance to load CMD.EXE.

In command line, you can type command:

c:

cd windows\system32\smi\store\machine

del *.tm*

Restart your computer, everything will be fixed.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Hi Vivek

I am the original poster

I have tried your steps and they do not work. Here is the log of my steps for your review

I am still getting the same error codes. What should I try next

(Also to add, I tried 3 times, once in safe mode for the edits, once with no reboot and once with a reboot)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd\

C:\>fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\>cd %windir%\system32\config\txr

C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR>attrib -r -s -h *

C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR>del *
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{016888cd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TM.blf
    r00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms
    r00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{df1ddb86-e0af-11e1-9688-f80f4114b169}.TxR.0.regt
    rans-ms
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{df1ddb86-e0af-11e1-9688-f80f4114b169}.TxR.1.regt
    rans-ms
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{df1ddb86-e0af-11e1-9688-f80f4114b169}.TxR.2.regt
    rans-ms
    C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\{df1ddb86-e0af-11e1-9688-f80f4114b169}.TxR.blf

C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR>cd c:\windows\system32\smi\store\machine

c:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine>attrib -a -h -s *.TM*

c:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine>del *.TM*
    4b169}.TM.blf
    4b169}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms
    4b169}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms

c:\Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine>

although i got the similar messages in the command prompt, had all the windows updates successfully installed --with no error codes-- after deciding to attempt another windows update.  before finding this fix, it was a bit time consuming & frustrating trying different fixes without resolve. thanks vivek and everyone.  

• Edited by danhouston Monday, November 19, 2012 12:11 AM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Andre, that was perfect...but I bet you hear that all the time.  Thank you.

(I was ripping my hair out--all better now.)

• Edited by lindywise Saturday, March 9, 2013 9:35 AM
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 9:34 AM
  • After going nuts for months FINALLY a solution that worked!  Thanks so much!
    • Proposed as answer by Anubis Prime Friday, July 18, 2014 4:40 PM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 4:40 PM