none
IE8 Missing after uninstall IE9 - No problems or errors - IE 8 just missing

Question

• I just purchased a group of new laptops with Windows 7 X64 Professional SP1.  They came with IE9 preinstalled.  Our environment application requires IE8.

I can go to Programs and Features, and only find IE9 under Turn Windows features on or off.  I can uninstall Internet Explorer 9 from here, but then there is no Internet Explorer installed.  Upon a reboot, IE9 is the only option to add back.

On all my prior Windows 7 systems, IE8 was under Turn Windows features on or off, and IE9 is under installed updates.

How do I resolve this?

Friday, July 01, 2011 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi, you have to unistall IE9 from Programs and Features, View installed updates, Windows Internet Explorer 9, after that, IE8 should be availiable, if it's not, go to Turn Windows features on or off and turn it on.
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 12:14 PM

All replies

• Hi, you have to unistall IE9 from Programs and Features, View installed updates, Windows Internet Explorer 9, after that, IE8 should be availiable, if it's not, go to Turn Windows features on or off and turn it on.
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 12:14 PM
  • And if Sergio's suggestion doesn't work, You could always download IE 8 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8  and install.
    MCTS, MCP, A+ Microsoft Partner
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 12:47 PM
  • My suggestion functions as a work-around to get IE8 back on the system after IE9 is uninstalled. IE9 must have been built into the image of your recently purchased laptops.

The link provided obviously doesnt give a WIndows 7 download. The Vista X64 download should work fine, allowing you to update afterwards.  (Much in the same fashion as Vista & Server '08 SP1 updates being packaged in the same download, these downloads for Vista mostly still work in 7.)

THe base installation of Windows 7 comes with IE8, however, according to what HuliH20 is discribing, the manufacturer of these laptops customized their base image to include IE9 as he stated:

"...but then there is no Internet Explorer installed.  Upon a reboot, IE9 is the only option to add back." He NEEDS IE8 BACK.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:46 PM
  • My suggestion functions as a work-around to get IE8 back on the system after IE9 is uninstalled. IE9 must have been built into the image of your recently purchased laptops.

The link provided obviously doesnt give a WIndows 7 download. The Vista X64 download should work fine, allowing you to update afterwards.  (Much in the same fashion as Vista & Server '08 SP1 updates being packaged in the same download, these downloads for Vista mostly still work in 7.)

THe base installation of Windows 7 comes with IE8, however, according to what HuliH20 is discribing, the manufacturer of these laptops customized their base image to include IE9 as he stated:

"...but then there is no Internet Explorer installed.  Upon a reboot, IE9 is the only option to add back." He NEEDS IE8 BACK.

It is a commonly known fact that the IE8 for Vista will not install on Windows 7.  I don't know what Microsoft did to block its install on Win 7, but it cannot be done.

IE9 is not part of SP1 and others that had the same situation had to go into View Installed Programs and uninstall the IE9.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Since there is not an appropiate download of IE8 for Windows 7, then why not do a 'Repair' after uninstalling IE9? The user is currently still left without IE8 on his Windows 7 machine.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:29 PM
  • OK I went through the same problems and I have the fix;

You need to turn back on the IE 9 "feature". If not it will simply leave you without IE.

Go to the Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates, under the group Microsoft Windows, scroll down to near the bottom until you find "Windows Internet Explorer 9".

Click on "Windows Internet Explorer 9" and then the Uninstall button at the top - you'll probably need to reboot.

Once back up you will have IE 8.

Enjoy.

Dan
    http://www.svsys.net

http://tipst3r.wordpress.com

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:34 PM
  • That worked great for me! I was able to remove IE9 and have IE8 show up.

I was in a simlar situation where IE8 did not show up after removing IE9 on a dell laptop.

S

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:23 PM