none
Warnings in event logs. RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I start the print spooler service I get the following 2 warnings in my event logs:
    Log Name:      System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-PrintSpooler
    Date: 6/29/2009 10:48:02 PM
    Event ID: 67
    Task Category: None
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: TMA-1.flying-horses.local
    Description:
    The print spooler failed to cache print connection 80072afc. This can occur because there are insufficient system resources. No user action is required.

Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss
    Date: 6/29/2009 10:48:02 PM
    Event ID: 1036
    Task Category: None
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: TMA-1.flying-horses.local
    Description:
    InitializePrintProvider failed for provider inetpp.dll. This can occur because of system instability or a lack of system resources.
    I'm running Vista x64 SP2. I performed the steps outlined in: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773844(WS.10).aspx as well as http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734785(WS.10).aspx but no problems were revealed. I am running an Intel Quad Core with 8GB of RAM and I have no reason to believe that resources are limited.

I do not use internet printing and have no idea what is meant by "The print spooler failed to cache print connection 80072afc." The same connection number is always shown. I'm completely at a loss. If anyone could help I sure would appreciate it.

Best regards, FlyingHorse
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:32 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the help but I solved the issue by restoring an image I made just before I started getting the warnings. All is well.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry for delay.

The Event 67 with code 80072afc is a self-correcting background event. The error code 80072afc indicates that there is no data connectivity. Usually such error code will be reported when we have network connection issues. The file "inetpp.dll" that is mentioned in the Application log is Internet Print Provider DLL. However, since there is not Internet printer installed, we suspect that the issue is caused by Internet printing related third party services that are configured as a dependency of Printer Spooler service. Another possible reason is installed printer drivers or software that my automatically configure Internet printing related functions when Print Spooler service is running.

Please check the situation of Print Spooler service first.

1. Click Start. In the Start Search box type "services.msc", and press Enter.
    2. Find the service "Print Spooler". Double-click on it.
    3. Click the "Dependencies" tab.
    4. Please check the dependencies. In normal situation, this service depends on RPC service. If you have installed Internet Printer, the service will also depends on HTTP. Only Fax service depends on this service.

Please let us know if the status is correct and if not, please let us know the differences.

If the status is normal, please let us know if you have installed any printer driver. If so, what are the models of the printers. You may temporary remove all printer drivers from the system and then check if the issue still occurs when you start Print Spooler service. The following steps helps us to remove a printer driver.

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.
    2. Find the icons which are related to the printer, and delete them.
    3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".
    4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.
    5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".
    6. Try to remove all related printer software.

If the issue does not occur after a printer is removed, the issue can be caused by that printer driver.

Hope it helps. If there is any question, feel free to reply.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Thanks for the help but I solved the issue by restoring an image I made just before I started getting the warnings. All is well.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:05 AM